Author Topic: How far can Celtics realistically move up in the draft?  (Read 7918 times)

Re: How far can Celtics realistically move up in the draft?
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2015, 01:06:35 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
provided the C's don't get lucky and land a top 3 slot in the lottery, the cost of moving up any spots at all would most likely be prohibitive.  say they end up with #9 which is where they are today, the cost to even move up to #8 may be that pick and Sully which seems counter productive to move up 1 spot.  I think we'll be picking wherever we land.

I keep dreaming that the Clips completely miss the playoffs and end up winning the lottery so I can enjoy the C's getting to lotto talents and sticking it to Doc.  Clips are pretty lucky in the lottery drawings historically.  oh well, it's good to have dreams

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2015, 12:21:56 AM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Stein turner or towns with the first pick...wood alexander or lyles with the second... i would be pleased if we get dakari johson and vezenkov with our second rounders

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2015, 01:57:03 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
If we want to move up, we can move up a few spots. It all depends on what a team wants and where they are picking. The think you have to consider, if DA wants to move up and how much he is willing to give up to get there. Danny likes to fleece teams, it will probably be harder for him to move up much because of it. People have to look at the moves he has made and say, "wow, the other team got hosed, I won't let him do that to me!" 0.0

It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2015, 03:00:42 AM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
All depends on how much were willing to give up, how far were looking to move up, and most importantly who's looking and/or willing to move back?

Sometimes teams see 2 or 3 players they want, and if they're gone by then or if that player will probably be there where our pick comes, they'll be willing to deal if it benefits them enough. The Brooklyn picks should be off limits unless it means something drastic like going from 11 to 3 or 4. But I think realistically Danny might be able to slide up two or three slots with a good offer.

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2015, 04:50:49 AM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
Really any of the top 12 are fine, except for Kevon Looney.  There is no chance someone lets us move up to draft Towns or Stanley Johnson (picks 4 and 5), so I'd say the highest we could even think of going is 6 and that would only be if the other GM was stupid or we threw in Sully or something like that.  I would like to get into the top 7-9 at it means we could get Porzingis or Myles Turner, both of whom would be great fits on this team.  It hopefully doesn't mean we draft WCS, who I don't think will make all that great of an NBA player.

After pick 12 the draft falls off a cliff, so hopefully it doesn't come to that.  I guess someone could emerge as the season goes, but that would be really disappointing.

I have watched Myles Turner in a number of games this year, and I feel he has progressed a lot through the big12 conf schedule.  he is playing his best bb right now on a tx team that is really underachieving.  Turner is one of the few bright spots on their team.  If the big picture plan called for trading one of sully or ko and picks for a proven center, then Turner might be a good pick if we are in the 8-10 range.

Only concerns with turner are his injuries
He is still light but can easily bulk up with time in the pros

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2015, 04:54:59 AM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
If we want to move up, we can move up a few spots. It all depends on what a team wants and where they are picking. The think you have to consider, if DA wants to move up and how much he is willing to give up to get there. Danny likes to fleece teams, it will probably be harder for him to move up much because of it. People have to look at the moves he has made and say, "wow, the other team got hosed, I won't let him do that to me!" 0.0

I'm guessing he won't give up too much

We saw with olynyk trade that he wanted olynyk and decided only to swap picks and a 2nd rounder to move up

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2015, 07:23:19 AM »

Online CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420

TP right back at ya Smokeyye, I just want the best player we can get this year that's all. I know it's not going to be Towns. I like Smart but I don't want another Smart type talent.

I'd be happy with Russell, Johnson, Stein,

Im not following you in that you dont want another " Smart type talent" yet you list 3 players you do want and I would say 2 of the 3 share a lot in common with marcus as prospects.

Johnson, big and strong for his position. Not a super elite athlete but very athletic for his size. Will excel on D and needs to develop on O

WCS, defensive force with limited offense

Both are Smart like and I hope the Cs land one of them.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2015, 10:10:23 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 911

We saw with olynyk trade that he wanted olynyk and decided only to swap picks and a 2nd rounder to move up

Absolutely correct.  It's going to cost a lot more to move up from 9 to 7 or even 8 than it did to go from 16 to 13.  In this draft, where the talent is so tightly bunched in the 5-12 range, I wouldn't want to pay the price. 

Mike

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2015, 10:25:30 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
provided the C's don't get lucky and land a top 3 slot in the lottery, the cost of moving up any spots at all would most likely be prohibitive.  say they end up with #9 which is where they are today, the cost to even move up to #8 may be that pick and Sully which seems counter productive to move up 1 spot.  I think we'll be picking wherever we land.

I keep dreaming that the Clips completely miss the playoffs and end up winning the lottery so I can enjoy the C's getting to lotto talents and sticking it to Doc.  Clips are pretty lucky in the lottery drawings historically.  oh well, it's good to have dreams
I don't think it would cost Sully to move up a spot. Every team has different boards, if one team likes someone we don't why wouldn't they take the Clippers pick to move back a spot, and still get the guy they like.

Last year the Bulls moved up to 11 by giving up the 16th and 19th picks. The year before the Jazz moved up to 9 by giving up 14 and 21.

I think if we stay where we are in the draft we could move up from the 10-12 range to the 6-8 range without giving up the farm. If we end up making the playoffs and picking at 16 we could move up from the 10-12 range.

Either way, I expect us to move up (although, it might be to package the clippers pick with a future first to move into the 16-18 range). We have too many picks going forward to make them all, I expect Danny to identify guys he likes then do everything he can to move up and select that guy.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 10:31:34 AM by Evantime34 »
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2015, 11:16:05 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

Absolutely correct.  It's going to cost a lot more to move up from 9 to 7 or even 8 than it did to go from 16 to 13.  In this draft, where the talent is so tightly bunched in the 5-12 range, I wouldn't want to pay the price. 

Mike

More to the point, I imagine the Cs will be in the #12-15 range, rather than #9. And Clippers likely in the #25 or so range.

So, #15 pick plus #25 pick.  Maybe C's could move up to #11 or #12.
Or, #12 pick plus #25 pick. Maybe Cs could move up to #9 or #10.
Point is.... not much movement possible...
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2015, 11:16:58 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

Me too. I have similar dreams.  Fingers crossed, baby!!!
:)
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2015, 12:27:02 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
This thread proves the point on tanking. Hey let's give up multiple assets so we can move up and get a great player. Or we could tank and get a great player, and keep the assets. Gee I wonder which one is smarter

So your theory is that any team that trades to move up in the draft would have been better off "tanking" ... which includes getting rid of (i.e. trading) of all your good players for nothing/crappy players so you lose more, correct? How is that smarter?

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2015, 12:36:56 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
If we're at 9 or 10, I'd move up to about 7 to get Myles Turner possibly, other than that you just take BPA and hope for the best. WCS is not worth trading up for, guy is INCREDIBLY raw and is a junior. Either way you're going to be waiting awhile for these guys to pan out.

I'd rather just trade the picks for a proven big, maybe package KO or sully..

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2015, 12:44:55 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
It cost Chicago 16th and 19th pick to move to 11th.

Prices go up as you get higher, not linearly either. So I'd say into the top 10 or top 8 but not higher unless we're offering the entire store.

Best chance to move up is the lottery still sadly.

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2015, 01:07:13 PM »

Offline ekosins3

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 2
I know this hasn't been discussed to much but would the possibility if trading our first round pick even make sense if it gives us a young player already in the NBA. I remember the pg Holiday from the sixers  getting traded a couple years back for a pick in the 7-10 range if i recall correctly.