Author Topic: How far can Celtics realistically move up in the draft?  (Read 7925 times)

How far can Celtics realistically move up in the draft?
« on: February 26, 2015, 03:24:24 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
I'm thinking if our pick is in the 9-10 range, maybe the 5th spot is where Danny could target moving up. Whoever gets the 5th pick will be likely disappointed they didn't get into the Top 3 and may look to move down a few spots.

What would it cost to move up 5 spots? Danny has several other first round picks to choose from. Also, players like Kelly Olynyk or James Young could be moved if they aren't seen as part of the core group. If Danny is trying to go after a 7 footer, or Stanley Johnson, 5th or 6th is probably where he wants to be.

Also, with that Clippers pick. It would be nice to move up from 20-24, and get in the 15-17 range. If he goes for a SF with his first pick, he will need to get that 2nd pick in that middle of the first round to be able to grab a center. Damian Jones, Kaminsky, Poeltl, etc..

Or they could stay pat and grab a AJ Hammons, Dakari Johnson, or Robert Upshaw in the back end of the first round.  With so many picks in the next two drafts, it makes sense to use the Philly pick, the Minny pick, and other assets to move up and get the best players possible.

Re: How far can Celtics realistically move up in the draft?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 03:41:17 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915
Realistically, I think that if we had the 9th or 10th pick, the most we could move up is to about 7th without giving away one of our Nets/Mavs first-rounders.  I just don't think a 10th pick and and a bench player, even a decent one, is going to move us up that many spots, even if we threw in the Clippers pick. 

Having said that, I've increasingly become a fan of BPA and, to tell you the truth, I think a lot of the players in the 5-12 range are interchangeable.  #5 will likely be a better player than #9 or #10, but the difference in draftee quality will not nearly be worth what it will cost us to move up.  The problem is that the perception of difference in quality between #5 and #9-10 is far greater than the actual difference, particularly this year.  Likewise, as you move up within the top 10, the cost to move up a spot gets incrementally higher as you get closer to #1 (i.e., It costs that much more to move from 6 to 5 than it does from 7 to 6.).

I'd like either a center or SF, but as for the latter, what chance do the Celts have of drafting an all-star SF at 10? ;)

Mike

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 03:48:45 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Really any of the top 12 are fine, except for Kevon Looney.  There is no chance someone lets us move up to draft Towns or Stanley Johnson (picks 4 and 5), so I'd say the highest we could even think of going is 6 and that would only be if the other GM was stupid or we threw in Sully or something like that.  I would like to get into the top 7-9 at it means we could get Porzingis or Myles Turner, both of whom would be great fits on this team.  It hopefully doesn't mean we draft WCS, who I don't think will make all that great of an NBA player.

After pick 12 the draft falls off a cliff, so hopefully it doesn't come to that.  I guess someone could emerge as the season goes, but that would be really disappointing. 

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 03:56:21 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I'm thinking if our pick is in the 9-10 range, maybe the 5th spot is where Danny could target moving up. Whoever gets the 5th pick will be likely disappointed they didn't get into the Top 3 and may look to move down a few spots.

What would it cost to move up 5 spots? Danny has several other first round picks to choose from. Also, players like Kelly Olynyk or James Young could be moved if they aren't seen as part of the core group. If Danny is trying to go after a 7 footer, or Stanley Johnson, 5th or 6th is probably where he wants to be.

Also, with that Clippers pick. It would be nice to move up from 20-24, and get in the 15-17 range. If he goes for a SF with his first pick, he will need to get that 2nd pick in that middle of the first round to be able to grab a center. Damian Jones, Kaminsky, Poeltl, etc..

Or they could stay pat and grab a AJ Hammons, Dakari Johnson, or Robert Upshaw in the back end of the first round.  With so many picks in the next two drafts, it makes sense to use the Philly pick, the Minny pick, and other assets to move up and get the best players possible.

If you were Orlando with the 5th pick, with, say Stanley Johnson on the board, would you trade the pick to Boston for the #10 and #23 pick? I don't think I would....
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 04:22:06 PM »

Offline oldutican

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 12
It may be possible to trade up from 9 or 10 to get Cauley-Stein at 6 or 7.

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 04:25:38 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

If you were Orlando with the 5th pick, with, say Stanley Johnson on the board, would you trade the pick to Boston for the #10 and #23 pick? I don't think I would....

And this is what is weird. If you desire to receive a first in a trade for a bonafide NBA starter, people will often scoff at the idea saying picks are so much more valuable.

But for some reason, trading two firsts in a draft to basically move up 4-5 spots will also be laughed at because that high pick is apparently so valuable. But is 4-5 spots really more valuable than an additional first?

Now I understand that moving from #10 to #5 is a pretty big jump since the NBA is based on superstars (and the top of the draft is that much more valuable), but this can often be the case when maneuvering in the teens.

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 04:37:14 PM »

Offline jonaslopes

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
No more than 7th or 8th.
It's nice seeing him get exposed as overrated after having argued with fellow fans for years that he was overrated.. but I don't hate him. I'm looking forward to seeing him [...] bounce around to a couple more teams... eventually come back to Boston[...] and helps us as a role player until he runs himself out of the league.
LarBrd33 on Rondo

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 04:39:38 PM »

Offline jonaslopes

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
Really any of the top 12 are fine, except for Kevon Looney.  There is no chance someone lets us move up to draft Towns or Stanley Johnson (picks 4 and 5), so I'd say the highest we could even think of going is 6 and that would only be if the other GM was stupid or we threw in Sully or something like that.  I would like to get into the top 7-9 at it means we could get Porzingis or Myles Turner, both of whom would be great fits on this team.  It hopefully doesn't mean we draft WCS, who I don't think will make all that great of an NBA player.

After pick 12 the draft falls off a cliff, so hopefully it doesn't come to that.  I guess someone could emerge as the season goes, but that would be really disappointing.

I'm glad to hear your opinions about Turner, WCS and Porzingis.
It's nice seeing him get exposed as overrated after having argued with fellow fans for years that he was overrated.. but I don't hate him. I'm looking forward to seeing him [...] bounce around to a couple more teams... eventually come back to Boston[...] and helps us as a role player until he runs himself out of the league.
LarBrd33 on Rondo

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 04:52:16 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
This thread proves the point on tanking. Hey let's give up multiple assets so we can move up and get a great player. Or we could tank and get a great player, and keep the assets. Gee I wonder which one is smarter

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2015, 05:13:16 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
This thread proves the point on tanking. Hey let's give up multiple assets so we can move up and get a great player. Or we could tank and get a great player, and keep the assets. Gee I wonder which one is smarter

TP THANK YOU!

It's so hard to explain to people why I would ever root for my team to lose. Losing now means a quicker rebuild.

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2015, 07:54:43 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

TP right back at ya Smokeyye, I just want the best player we can get this year that's all. I know it's not going to be Towns. I like Smart but I don't want another Smart type talent.

I'd be happy with Russell, Johnson, Stein,

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2015, 08:11:16 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930
I was all aboard tanking this year and playing SMart and Young heavy, heavy minutes.

But the thing is, we're just too good and others are too bad for us to tank this year. It truly is that simple. We've traded off our two best guys in Rondo and Green, lost our third best guy for the year in Sully, dealt with multiple lengthy injuries to Smart, Young, Olynyk, and others, and traded off a ton of good vets to other teams for assets. There isn't much more for us to do. lol The only other thing to do is try and ACTIVELY lose games, which is just undesirable all around.

So it's one of those things that is just out of our control I think.  I don't think we can really complain when our guys are overachieving because our coach is getting the best out of his players.

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2015, 08:19:28 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Being able to move up in the draft is highly dependent on teams being willing to move down in the draft because they don't like any of the players at #5  or whatever (or think that the best player available will still be available at #10).
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2015, 08:27:42 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Sure lets tank and take another 3 years to get anywhere.

We have the picks tp bundle to move up

We dont need 3 picks on the roster next season

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2015, 09:20:46 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479

I have watched Myles Turner in a number of games this year, and I feel he has progressed a lot through the big12 conf schedule.  he is playing his best bb right now on a tx team that is really underachieving.  Turner is one of the few bright spots on their team.  If the big picture plan called for trading one of sully or ko and picks for a proven center, then Turner might be a good pick if we are in the 8-10 range.