Author Topic: 10-15 range best bigs: Lyles, Portis, Kaminsky  (Read 17508 times)

Re: 10-15 range best bigs: Lyles, Portis, Kaminsky
« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2015, 08:16:39 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Of the people mentioned in this thread I think Lyles would be the best pick.

Lyles played very well at Kentucky despite playing the majority of his minutes out of position for the good of the team. The system he played in was with little spacing and a clogged middle, which is imo the opposite of the best possible system for him.

Lyles and Looney might take a little while to develop but once they do you can expect a big with the ability to score from the perimeter and defend multiple positions.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2015, 08:34:16 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I'd take Poeltl over Lyles or Portis.  Might consider Kaminsky ahead of Poeltl if he's still there at 16 (doubt he will be).

I might consider Looney over any of them just because I think the Celtics need to take a chance on a guy with big boom or bust potential and Looney seems to fit that bill.

Turner, Poetl, Lyles would be my choices in that order. Kaminsky after his tourney will be long gone.

I agree completely that if Danny keeps the pick and doesn't trade up or use it for a vet, he has to gamble big-time compared to picking at 10-12, where we could've definitely gotten one of those guys.

I don't like Portis. He didn't play big, either in size or performance, the 3-4 times that I saw him this year.

Looney, Payne, Cunningham, Hunter, Upshaw, Luwawu are all high risk-high reward with our 4 picks. danny has to swing for the fences if he keeps the picks. You can tell neither he nor Wyc wanted/expected this playoff berth.

« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2015, 08:44:13 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
In terms of a "swinging for the fences" draft, I'd be happy to see Looney, Hollis-Jefferson, and Upshaw, and then perhaps an overseas stash such as Mam Jaiteh.

I'd be much less surprised to see Ainge end up with Dekker at #16 and then trade up a few spots to take Harrell and take a chance on a combo guard or tweener wing like RJ Hunter, Delon Wright, or James Anderson ... or like I mentioned earlier, one of the Harrisons.

I agree with the above regarding Portis -- he just doesn't look like a big to me, but he doesn't have the agility, quickness, or jumpshot required to be a combo forward at the next level, either.  He has a little of "JaJuan Johnson" syndrome going on.   Looney, on the other hand, looks like he has an NBA body already with the frame to add a bunch more muscle and possibly become a stretch 4/5.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2015, 08:53:25 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
In terms of a "swinging for the fences" draft, I'd be happy to see Looney, Hollis-Jefferson, and Upshaw, and then perhaps an overseas stash such as Mam Jaiteh.

I'd be much less surprised to see Ainge end up with Dekker at #16 and then trade up a few spots to take Harrell and take a chance on a combo guard or tweener wing like RJ Hunter, Delon Wright, or James Anderson ... or like I mentioned earlier, one of the Harrisons.

I agree with the above regarding Portis -- he just doesn't look like a big to me, but he doesn't have the agility, quickness, or jumpshot required to be a combo forward at the next level, either.  He has a little of "JaJuan Johnson" syndrome going on.   Looney, on the other hand, looks like he has an NBA body already with the frame to add a bunch more muscle and possibly become a stretch 4/5.

I agree

Portis has real narrow shoulders and usually guys with narrow shoulders struggle against bigger players in the NBA.    He also has a short/mediocre wingspan and is not an above the rim player. 

Portis is a player I would stay away from.

I like Lyles and  Jarell Martin. Martin again would be a reach, but I think his tools/skills/explosiveness for size will translate well into the nba

« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2015, 09:36:45 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I would take Kaminsky if he's there or if we could trade up a bit for not much (similar to how we did for Olynyk).  I know we have Olynyk but Kaminsky is a great fit and I believe in drafting the most talented player.  I am just about Olynyk's biggest fan :P and I hadn't watched Kaminsky until the tournament. 

Didn't realize he was quite similar.  He is physical in a way Olynyk is not though which will help him be a better rebounder (even though Olynyk is no slouch).  I don't think he has the same ball handling and passing proven yet that sets Olynyk apart but otherwise I like him in his own way and think they could play together and be fine.  Bigs that can shoot are welcome on this team.

I bet he goes really high but if Stein fell even a bit I'd be in for trading up for him too.  Basically I'd be looking to trade up for those two guys in particular if there's a good deal.  Depending on if there's something else on the table.  But we have a lot of picks.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford