Author Topic: 10-15 range best bigs: Lyles, Portis, Kaminsky  (Read 17459 times)

Re: 10-15 range best bigs: Lyles, Portis, Kaminsky
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2015, 07:25:07 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Give me any excellent defensive big and I'm not talking about a shot blocker. Give me one who is great at help defense and good enough at man to man. Shot blocking is a bonus in my eyes. Give me a guy who can help keep people out of the paint, someone who can switch out on the perimeter and be fine. Yeah, I want a KG. He doesn't have to be KG on offense but give me him on defense and I'll be ecstatic!!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2015, 07:31:16 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I would love to package our first, Sullinger and/or Oynyk to move up for WCS. With him, Smart, even Bradley we have an incredible defensive core. Then offer a max for a PF like Love, who seems to hate it in Cleveland. If we unload both Sullinger and Olynyk, we should be able to get back a future protected first.

Who is going to be able to stretch the floor with KO and or Sullinger traded??

Too much hype on WCS imo.  Put out KO against him on the floor, and he is suddenly ineffective around the basket on the defensive end.   Offensively he doesn't bring alot of skills to the table.  WCS is one of those flashy prospects but has ways to go before becoming a finished nba player.

I respectively disagree. The reason WCS a is such a great defender is because he can go out on the perimeter and even guard some SF's, kid has remarkable foot work and quickness for a big on the defensive end, he's sort of like Smart but much longer and not as much of a strength advantage as smart has on guards.

I've watched multiple times in Kentucky games they run PnR and always Switch because WCS a can guard in the perimeter. Now he is not good on offense aside from Alley Oops... But this team needs a defensive big in the starting lineup. And him and Isiah would run a great PnR.

Cauley-Stein is the modern day type of athletic big (Jordan, Drummond, Whiteside, Gobbert, etc.) that isn't a back to basket low post threat, but instead sets multiple screens on the perimeter and causes damage by diving to the basket for lobs and/or putbacks off shots from the high P&R. I think he would actually be a perfect fit for Stevens' offense since nobody on the team can duplicate this skill, the space inside will be free with the shooting we have along the perimeter, and this will cause a defender to have to rotate to take away his rolls to the basket, freeing up open shots in the process.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 07:45:14 PM by Eddie20 »

« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2015, 08:08:20 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I would love to package our first, Sullinger and/or Oynyk to move up for WCS. With him, Smart, even Bradley we have an incredible defensive core. Then offer a max for a PF like Love, who seems to hate it in Cleveland. If we unload both Sullinger and Olynyk, we should be able to get back a future protected first.

Who is going to be able to stretch the floor with KO and or Sullinger traded??

Too much hype on WCS imo.  Put out KO against him on the floor, and he is suddenly ineffective around the basket on the defensive end.   Offensively he doesn't bring alot of skills to the table.  WCS is one of those flashy prospects but has ways to go before becoming a finished nba player.

I respectively disagree. The reason WCS a is such a great defender is because he can go out on the perimeter and even guard some SF's, kid has remarkable foot work and quickness for a big on the defensive end, he's sort of like Smart but much longer and not as much of a strength advantage as smart has on guards.

I've watched multiple times in Kentucky games they run PnR and always Switch because WCS a can guard in the perimeter. Now he is not good on offense aside from Alley Oops... But this team needs a defensive big in the starting lineup. And him and Isiah would run a great PnR.

True WCS is a great rim protector and  pick n roll defender 
But he lacks the offensive game inside
From his 3 years he has not developed offensively 

I would like us to get a 2 way C for the future
As a consistent way of scoring for us

I agree. Good/smart teams will lay off of him on the offensive end. And 1.5 team everyone else
My guess is that WCS won't play much in the 4th quarter under CBS.

« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2015, 08:35:30 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Not to mention that he has a sub .600 ft%, although granted it has gone up every year from when he was a freshman and shot .372.  I just hope Turner falls I guess, I'd rather have a guy with a chance at being a real player that could bust than a guy who would just project to be a decent role player at this point.

Also can people stop with the Kaminski / KO comparisons saying "they're the same player"?  Yeah, they're both white and 7 feet.  They're not that similar. 

« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2015, 09:13:55 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I wouldn't mind Portis or Lyles at 12-16 range.

« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2015, 09:38:30 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
With Okafor, Towns, Turner and WCS likely going in the top 10, which one of (Lyles, Portis, Kaminsky) would you draft with our 2015 1st?  (10-15 range)

Trey Lyles - 6'10 , 250 pounds, 7'3.5 wingspan
Comparison:  Brad Miller

Bobby Portis - 6'11, 245 pounds, 7'1.5 wingspan
Comparison:  Chris Bosh version of today.  Quick, agile but not really above the rim. Nice J

Frank Kaminsky - 7'0, 245 pounds, 7'1-7'2 wingspan
Comparison: Mehmet Okur

Not interested in any of them with the Cs 1st pick. Needs to be BPA and there will be better options then those guys.
This.  C's are nowhere good enough to focus on picking for position instead of picking BPA.  I've always believed in taking BPA and only going for need when there's players of equal talent where one happens to play a position of need.

there's isn't a position I consider us to be set at right now.  PF is the most filled with Sully and KO going forward but if the best player available is a PF (I hope that's not the case) then take that player and look to move one of Sully or KO to fill a hole in the roster.  would keep Sully over KO right now is one had to be moved.

« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2015, 12:22:36 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
With Okafor, Towns, Turner and WCS likely going in the top 10, which one of (Lyles, Portis, Kaminsky) would you draft with our 2015 1st?  (10-15 range)

Comparison:  Chris Bosh version of today.  Quick, agile but not really above the rim. Nice J

Not interested in any of them with the Cs 1st pick. Needs to be BPA and there will be better options then those guys.
This.  C's are nowhere good enough to focus on picking for position instead of picking BPA.  I've always believed in taking BPA and only going for need when there's players of equal talent where one happens to play a position of need.

there's isn't a position I consider us to be set at right now.  PF is the most filled with Sully and KO going forward but if the best player available is a PF (I hope that's not the case) then take that player and look to move one of Sully or KO to fill a hole in the roster.  would keep Sully over KO right now is one had to be moved.

I still think Lyles is going to be a real option for the Celts at 16.  Don't even think he will be available by then.  Kaminsky I doubt will be also.

Portis might be.  Who else are better prospects??

We are definitely going to need to draft a PF/C to replace Bass and potentially sully if he gets traded.   

Portis and Lyles imo would fit CBS system.  Have nba bodies, versatile defenders that are able to make the outside shot.

I'm also curious/intersted in Jarell Martin.  At 16 he might be a bit of a reach but has alot of nice tools for a PF.  Martin played well vs Portis and also the Kentucky boys. Portis on the other end struggled.   

« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2015, 12:50:42 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

I still think Lyles is going to be a real option for the Celts at 16.  Don't even think he will be available by then.  Kaminsky I doubt will be also.

Portis might be.  Who else are better prospects??

We are definitely going to need to draft a PF/C to replace Bass and potentially sully if he gets traded.   

Portis and Lyles imo would fit CBS system.  Have nba bodies, versatile defenders that are able to make the outside shot.

I'm also curious/intersted in Jarell Martin.  At 16 he might be a bit of a reach but has alot of nice tools for a PF.  Martin played well vs Portis and also the Kentucky boys. Portis on the other end struggled.

You're forgetting Poeltl and Looney.

« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2015, 01:03:06 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
We are at 16

« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2015, 01:46:11 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'd take Poeltl over Lyles or Portis.  Might consider Kaminsky ahead of Poeltl if he's still there at 16 (doubt he will be).

I might consider Looney over any of them just because I think the Celtics need to take a chance on a guy with big boom or bust potential and Looney seems to fit that bill.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 01:52:56 PM by PhoSita »
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2015, 04:03:40 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
If we make the playoffs, we are just going to need to hope that one of the supposed 'Top 12' drops into our 15th-16th pick, which isn't a ridiculous notion. I am not crazy about any of the guys above (Lyles is decent), but draft expectations need to drop as playoff expectations rise.

Celtics imo need to make at least one trade on draft night (to move up). Or take a chance or two on euro players . Draft and stash

CBS won't be happy with 4 rookies in the lineup next season.

Ultimately it doesn't matter what CBS wants. Ainge got him IT this season. He kept Bass.
Think about it this way. If we have 3 or 4 rookies next year and guys like Bass, Crowder, Jerebko, Datome are all gone, then we have an opportunity to develop 3 or 4 guys of which hopefully 1 or 2 will become nice players or trade assets when the time comes to trade for a superstar.
Stevens was hired because he's an offensive guru, but he was also hired to develop young guys  and utilize their strengths (thus getting maximum trade value from guys on rookie scale contracts).
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2015, 04:22:53 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
If we make the playoffs, we are just going to need to hope that one of the supposed 'Top 12' drops into our 15th-16th pick, which isn't a ridiculous notion. I am not crazy about any of the guys above (Lyles is decent), but draft expectations need to drop as playoff expectations rise.

Celtics imo need to make at least one trade on draft night (to move up). Or take a chance or two on euro players . Draft and stash

CBS won't be happy with 4 rookies in the lineup next season.

Ultimately it doesn't matter what CBS wants. Ainge got him IT this season. He kept Bass.
Think about it this way. If we have 3 or 4 rookies next year and guys like Bass, Crowder, Jerebko, Datome are all gone, then we have an opportunity to develop 3 or 4 guys of which hopefully 1 or 2 will become nice players or trade assets when the time comes to trade for a superstar.
Stevens was hired because he's an offensive guru, but he was also hired to develop young guys  and utilize their strengths (thus getting maximum trade value from guys on rookie scale contracts).

I don't see the C's drafting four rookies for themselves--or letting Crowder or Jerebko go. Stevens wants continuity and going backwards from where they are to so many rooks would undo the point of getting to the playoffs to attract free agents with how well the team is coming along.

« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2015, 04:24:06 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
I'd take Poeltl over Lyles or Portis.  Might consider Kaminsky ahead of Poeltl if he's still there at 16 (doubt he will be).

I might consider Looney over any of them just because I think the Celtics need to take a chance on a guy with big boom or bust potential and Looney seems to fit that bill.

I think Poetl is long gone before 16, but Looney is a possibility.

« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2015, 08:06:05 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
I like Kaminsky out of the 3 choices best. Portis might be too slow to have a big impact in the NBA, and Lyles might be too small for a big.

Late in the first i might take Dakari Johnson over Lyles. I like his size at the center position.

Another big in the mix would have to be Wood. he looks like a john Henson type of player.

Lyles at times this year was the best player on the floor. He runs the floor well and was always boxing out in position. A great pick at 16 to develop into a power forward with emphasis on D..

« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2015, 08:10:49 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

I agree.   Lyles is a like a KO with a 7'4 wingspan.  I dont think it's likely he will be there at 16.

Maybe Danny will pull another 2013, and trade both of our 1sts to move up to 12-13 to grab Lyles.