Author Topic: Would you want Ray Allen coming back to Boston as a coach?  (Read 7363 times)

Re: Would you want Ray Allen coming back to Boston as a coach?
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2015, 02:31:29 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Sure, why not? He's one of the best shooters the game has seen.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2015, 02:38:49 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
hell yeah.
Imagine him teaching all our rookies how to shoot and correct their form, balance, elbows etc...
would be simply amazing.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2015, 02:40:05 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
If I thought he would have some transferable skills, then sure.

Some of the best 'doers' make the worst teachers, though.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2015, 06:29:07 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
He stabbed us in the back
Ray didn't stab the Celtics in the back.  He left an organization that didn't want him, didn't value him, and didn't have a chance of competing.  I don't blame him for leaving an irrelevant team with a pain-in-the-butt fraud point guard to join a contender.

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2015, 09:20:19 PM »

Offline Scottie

• NGT
  • Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 53
  • About five seconds after 17 O'clock!!
Ray didn't stab the Celtics in the back.  He left an organization that didn't want him, didn't value him, and didn't have a chance of competing.  I don't blame him for leaving an irrelevant team with a pain-in-the-butt fraud point guard to join a contender.

Nice to see someone has a handle on the situation. At worst Ray was "stabbed in the back" as much as he ever did the same to The Celtics. At the end of the day he did what we always implore an athlete to do but rarely see it happen...take a pay cut to play with a team to give them the best chance at a title. I hold no ill will towards the man and sure, if we was willing to offer his services as coach it would seem self defeating not to consider it. Not that he would automatically be a great coach. which reminds me, what do you think Walter McCarty brings to the table as a coach seeing he wasn't particularly good at anything during his NBA career?

Was interesting that one poster was annoyed that all ray wanted to do was win. Oddly enough, although not the same poster, it was mentioned KG rafters thread that all he did was chase the money. [dang]ed if you do and [dang]ed if you don't.

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2015, 09:46:39 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

1. No one blames him for leaving.

2. No one blames him for leaving to a contender (and the Celtics weren't an irrelevant team at that time). He's blamed for joining the Heat. Period. ONE TEAM. Same would've happened if he went to the Lakers. But that's it.

3. As much as the Celtics didn't value him, they still were the ones that offered him the most money in the market as far as we've heard (and confirmed).

4. The stab in the back wasn't towards the organization, it was first TO US THE FANS. Business is business, that's the nature of the the league, and the organization and players should be treated as such, but there was a lack of consideration for the fans that supported him while he wore Green that was honestly crap worthy. And tarnishing good memories in the process. And more than that, against his former teammates (KG and Pierce in particular).

5. He was soured because he didn't want to accept a bench role. Guess what, after all his pouting that's all he got from Miami... and at a discount.

You're mischaracterizing the problem Celtics fans, whether justified or not, have with Ray Allen.

It's not about the organization vs. Ray Allen. That was never the issue.

It's about the fans and the community vs. Ray Allen.

He did what he thought was best for him, well good for him. It came with some consequences, particularly from a fan-base and community that really embraced him (yes I know there are a lot of trolls who liked to talk crap about him, which player hasn't?) and helped him win his first Championship.

So right or wrong, justifiable or not, doesn't really come into it. There are actions and consequences, and that's it. He can enjoy his other wins in the process, but to me he's not welcomed.

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2015, 09:53:02 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
We didn't want him or value him and he didn't have a chance of competing. That must be why we offered him more money.
Speaking of not competing and frauds he did great to not compete against Avery Bradley so he could team up with the ultimate non competitor cool kids that won not three, not four, not five, not 6, not 7 rings....

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2015, 10:00:52 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Of course.  He's the epitome of professionalism and can be an outstanding mentor to young players.     

Ya'll need to get over that Miami situation.  He made the best move. 

Seriously... get over it.  We basically traded him a couple months before his free agency, but the deal fell through. This was after several years of Ainge trying to trade him.  He had lost his starting role.  The team was no longer a contender.  KG, Pierce and Doc were just months away from leaving the franchise as well.   He didn't get along with Rondo... and in retrospect we know what an overrated fraud Rondo was.   He goes to MIami, hits the greatest 3-point shot in NBA Finals history...  wins a title... 

Get over it.  Ray's gold in my book.

It was a pretty amazing shot.

I'm long long over Ray "leaving" too.  I really feel privileged to have watched the guy play for us and help us win a championship.  He hit so many amazing shots in the clutch and had what might  well of been my favorite of the 08 Finals in Game 5. 
Yup

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2015, 10:03:58 PM »

Offline chenaren

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 25

1. No one blames him for leaving.

2. No one blames him for leaving to a contender (and the Celtics weren't an irrelevant team at that time). He's blamed for joining the Heat. Period. ONE TEAM. Same would've happened if he went to the Lakers. But that's it.

3. As much as the Celtics didn't value him, they still were the ones that offered him the most money in the market as far as we've heard (and confirmed).

4. The stab in the back wasn't towards the organization, it was first TO US THE FANS. Business is business, that's the nature of the the league, and the organization and players should be treated as such, but there was a lack of consideration for the fans that supported him while he wore Green that was honestly crap worthy. And tarnishing good memories in the process. And more than that, against his former teammates (KG and Pierce in particular).

5. He was soured because he didn't want to accept a bench role. Guess what, after all his pouting that's all he got from Miami... and at a discount.

You're mischaracterizing the problem Celtics fans, whether justified or not, have with Ray Allen.

It's not about the organization vs. Ray Allen. That was never the issue.

It's about the fans and the community vs. Ray Allen.

He did what he thought was best for him, well good for him. It came with some consequences, particularly from a fan-base and community that really embraced him (yes I know there are a lot of trolls who liked to talk crap about him, which player hasn't?) and helped him win his first Championship.

So right or wrong, justifiable or not, doesn't really come into it. There are actions and consequences, and that's it. He can enjoy his other wins in the process, but to me he's not welcomed.

Tommy point.

No one blamed him for leaving the Celtics or joining a contender. It's that Allen joined the team that had beat the Celtics in a hard fought 7 game conference finals that bothered the some of the players and fans.

I get that fans of other teams who didn't know much about the situation could be led to think that we blamed Allen for "leaving the team", or "joining a contender", but if you're a Celtics fan, how could you not know where the grudge came from?

Pierce even stressed this point in an interview before:

“I was a little upset,” Pierce said. “I had a feeling that Ray probably wouldn’t come back, just from how things were between him and the organization.

“But I didn’t think he would go there,” he said, referring to Miami. “I thought he might go someplace like the Clippers. None of that would have surprised me. But it really surprised me that he would go there.”

“It definitely hurt me,” Pierce said. “Say we play the Lakers for the championship, and two years later I go and sign with the Lakers. That’s the equivalent of what he did.

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2015, 10:14:58 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Would you guys want to sign Ray to come back to Boston but as a shooting coach to help develop Marcus and James's shots?
I guess we could use an unpaid intern to help out. We could sell him on the proximity to Martha's Vineyard where he can continue to pay 50K to golf with the president every summer.

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2015, 10:40:09 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Why would he ?

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2015, 10:50:50 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Of course.  He's the epitome of professionalism and can be an outstanding mentor to young players.     

Ya'll need to get over that Miami situation.  He made the best move. 

Seriously... get over it.  We basically traded him a couple months before his free agency, but the deal fell through. This was after several years of Ainge trying to trade him.  He had lost his starting role.  The team was no longer a contender.  KG, Pierce and Doc were just months away from leaving the franchise as well.   He didn't get along with Rondo... and in retrospect we know what an overrated fraud Rondo was.   He goes to MIami, hits the greatest 3-point shot in NBA Finals history...  wins a title... 

Get over it.  Ray's gold in my book.
I was mad when Ray went to Miami. I think you are right that he did not really owe anything to Ainge or the Celtics in the sense that Ainge had tried to move him like 5 times. But by going to an arch rival he basically said that the C's meant nothing to him and as a C's  fan that p---ed me off.

Whether or not the Ray Allen hate is justified on either end, I think it is moot because those bridges have been burned rightfully or not.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2015, 10:51:40 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Why would he ?
tp

whether or not we are "willing to have him" hes never coming back here to coach our shooters
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2015, 10:53:40 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I got nothing against Ray, except he turned into kind of a mercenary.

If he was what the team needed, I don't have any problems with him.

Honestly, I think he left because he didn't enjoy playing with certain members of the Celtics team at that time.   

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2015, 06:34:09 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

He seems to be quite a diva, and the collective vibe from his teammates and coach when he left seemed to be "good riddance". Not sure that's what we should be looking for in a coach.