Author Topic: We make the playoffs...get knocked out. then what?  (Read 26440 times)

Re: We make the playoffs...get knocked out. then what?
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2015, 06:32:40 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
We have the Nets first round pick for the next three years after this.

We don't need to tank.

This draft >>>>> 2016 draft > 2017 draft

« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2015, 06:34:50 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460

We don't need to tank.

We don't have the Nets pick in this draft. 2016 through 2018.

« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2015, 06:37:35 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
1 champion
15 teams who get in and don't win

We will do what the 15 teams do, work with what we have to try and get better.

I see a lot of people saying you need a top pick player to win a championship. I get that. Now tell me about all of the top picks over all the seasons who didn't end up with LBJ, Shaq, Duncan, etc. Then tell me how long after they get those top players it took them to win a championship. Oh, Duncan was the only one of those named who won with the team who picked him? You don't say. Now every season those few top players passed around the chip there was another player picked #1 and countless others who were top few picks... what are those players doing? So you're telling me some are on mediocre teams, some busts, a few on terrible teams??? NOOOO, cant be.

I mean, getting the #1 pick means no more "perpetual mediocrity" right? There can be no possible way we could still be mediocre or bad after getting the #1 (or a top pick), nope, we will skip right over mediocre and hit greatness!  ::)
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2015, 06:38:31 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
Last years NBA Finals MVP, Kawhi Leonard, was chosen 15th in the draft.

« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2015, 06:39:01 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
We could upset Atlanta. ???? They're not exactly Jordan's bulls or even lebrons heat. Stranger things have happened.

« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2015, 06:40:01 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
We could upset Atlanta. ???? They're not exactly Jordan's bulls or even lebrons heat. Stranger things have happened.

Why not make history and win it all?

The Butler Celtics.

« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2015, 06:43:55 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

We don't need to tank.

Don't forget last year's "once in a generation" draft full of franchise cornerstones. Was it >>>>>>>> this year's draft?

« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2015, 06:48:52 PM »

Offline inverselock

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 44
we get the 12-15th pick, then what?
i'd rather play in the playoffs, ever for 4-5 games than tremble while the ping pong balls disappoint us again :)
right now i love this team, thomas is a total game changer for us, getting to the FT line and everything. It would be a great learning experience for our young players, and when you put that against a slim posibility of getting a top 10 pick AND THEN making a good choice, i'll take the 4-5 games thank you. we got enough picks anyway.

Picks dont matter unless  they are top 6-7. If you want us to win a playoff game, get bounced and draft a team full of Kelly Olynyks than godspeed.

1998: Pick 10 -  Paul Pierce

1998:  Pick 9 - Dirk Nowitzki

I would be pretty happy with pick 9.  But the thing about PP is that he inexplicably fell - it would be like us drafting tenth and somehow getting Stanley Johnson.  Nowitzki came from a time when people undervalued foreigners, now Young Dirk would probably go like 4th.  People weren't sleeping on him either, Don Nelson was saying he'd be rookie of the year leading up to the draft according to the Google search I just did.

More useful players from useless picks.

http://bkref.com/tiny/6ngzI

« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2015, 07:12:06 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker

We don't need to tank.

Don't forget last year's "once in a generation" draft full of franchise cornerstones. Was it >>>>>>>> this year's draft?

A better counter argument is that the 2013 draft was supposed to be the worst ever and it had Olidipo, Noel, McLemore, Trey Burke, MCW, Steven Adams, KO, Greek Freak, German Rondo, Tim Hardaway Jr, Rudy Gobert,  Other Zeller, etc.  I would say that last draft had Wiggins and he'll be the best player from 2014 or 2015, but the first 12 picks are overall stronger in this draft. 

« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2015, 07:12:54 PM »

Offline jonaslopes

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
we get the 12-15th pick, then what?
i'd rather play in the playoffs, ever for 4-5 games than tremble while the ping pong balls disappoint us again :)
right now i love this team, thomas is a total game changer for us, getting to the FT line and everything. It would be a great learning experience for our young players, and when you put that against a slim posibility of getting a top 10 pick AND THEN making a good choice, i'll take the 4-5 games thank you. we got enough picks anyway.

Picks dont matter unless  they are top 6-7. If you want us to win a playoff game, get bounced and draft a team full of Kelly Olynyks than godspeed.

1998: Pick 10 -  Paul Pierce

1998:  Pick 9 - Dirk Nowitzki

1996: Pick 13 - Kobe Bryant
It's nice seeing him get exposed as overrated after having argued with fellow fans for years that he was overrated.. but I don't hate him. I'm looking forward to seeing him [...] bounce around to a couple more teams... eventually come back to Boston[...] and helps us as a role player until he runs himself out of the league.
LarBrd33 on Rondo

« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2015, 07:15:04 PM »

Offline jonaslopes

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
And well, this discussion is pointless now. We are not bad enough this year. We are not getting a top 5 pick (barring lottery). So deal with it, tankers. Or go to Philly. Get over it. Discuss it again next year.
It's nice seeing him get exposed as overrated after having argued with fellow fans for years that he was overrated.. but I don't hate him. I'm looking forward to seeing him [...] bounce around to a couple more teams... eventually come back to Boston[...] and helps us as a role player until he runs himself out of the league.
LarBrd33 on Rondo

« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2015, 07:34:45 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Kevin Love would be a seriously flawed option to build a team around.   How can people even still think that?

Quite simple. He's a great player. I would build a team around him.

« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2015, 07:42:42 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

We don't need to tank.

A better counter argument is that the 2013 draft was supposed to be the worst ever and it had Olidipo, Noel, McLemore, Trey Burke, MCW, Steven Adams, KO, Greek Freak, German Rondo, Tim Hardaway Jr, Rudy Gobert,  Other Zeller, etc.  I would say that last draft had Wiggins and he'll be the best player from 2014 or 2015, but the first 12 picks are overall stronger in this draft.

You have to admit, that's a fairly underwhelming group of players you listed.

« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2015, 07:56:54 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker

You have to admit, that's a fairly underwhelming group of players you listed.

Greek Freak is looking like he'll be an All Star in a couple years, Olidipo and Gobert have the potential to be all-stars and the rest of them are going to be good rotational players.  If you want to see a list of underwhelming players, Google "2000 NBA Draft"

« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2015, 07:59:15 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
We make use of what we have.

I understand that missing the Playoffs is the much better plan, but you can't stop these players from competing. If that's so, might as well let them learn how to play Playoff basketball, at worst, we gain valuable experience not only for players but for Brad Stevens as well.

Then we use what assets we have to build a team that would be better that what we have.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace