Author Topic: Will the Nets even be that bad next year?  (Read 3746 times)

Re: Will the Nets even be that bad next year?
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2015, 05:29:34 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Sorry if others have said the same thing,

I think the Nets pick will have more to do with growth in the east then it does with their own demise.

East Playoff locks this year and next

1. ATL
2. Toronto
3. Cavs
4. Bulls
5. Wizards
6. Heat

these teams barring crazy change will make the playoffs this season and next

non playoff teams who should really improve next season

7.Pacers

With George back they will be a playoff lock

That makes 7 teams who really should be locks for the 8 spots. So barring injury or major change the rest of the east battles for the last spot.

Projecting next season

Nets, DWill and Johnson are a year older. Plumlee and Young are solid but I wouldn't expect major growth in their games. At best they stay at current level

Bobcats, they are trying to win. If they retain Big AL and their youth keeps developing they should improve and be right on the edge of making the playoffs

Pistons, alot rides on FAs, Monroe and Jackson are retained then this team has to be thinking playoffs.

Knicks, they want to make a FA splash and put the talent around Carmelo to contend, I dont see it happening but have to think they can at least put together a payoff team

Celtics, youth will develop and BS will have them playing good bball. They will be better but with a major move unlikely I see them outside the playoffs next season. They will be a respectable team.

Magic
, young and growing but still not playoff material

76ers, god knows when the Tank ends and even he/she has to be sick of it

So figuring the West will have 2-3 bottom feeders and the east will have likely 1 teams that flops (Magic or Pistons) and the terrible 76ers. That puts a floor of 6th pick for the Nets or Cs.

I predict the Cs with a 12-15th pick and the Nets at 10-13th
You left the Bucks off your list.  I wouldn't count Miami as a lock.  They're barely in the playoffs this year.  Wade will be a year older and Bosh is a question mark. 

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2015, 07:54:53 PM »

Offline outflip50

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
We own the rights to Brooklyn's Unprotected first round picks from 2016-18. Three straight drafts.

No we don't, teams are not allowed to trade consecutive 1st rounders that is against the rules. We have the right to swap picks in 2017, we do not own it outright like in 16 & 18

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2015, 08:18:54 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Another thing you have to factor in is that Billy King is the worst GM ever, so they're likely to make stupid desperate trades for aging stars, overpay for second-tier free agents, etc, etc.

Their pain, our gain.

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2015, 08:33:42 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
We own the rights to Brooklyn's Unprotected first round picks from 2016-18. Three straight drafts.

No we don't, teams are not allowed to trade consecutive 1st rounders that is against the rules. We have the right to swap picks in 2017, we do not own it outright like in 16 & 18

Well, technically, owning a right to swap is, indeed, owning rights on that 2017 pick.   That's all he said.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2015, 06:14:23 PM »

Offline e4sym0de

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 12
Nets could potentialy losse lopez and teletovic without having capspace to replace them, in addition to williams and johnson beeing a year older. Can´t see them making the playoffs next year. I would agree with other posters, that late lotto is the most likely outcome for them.

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2015, 06:25:08 PM »

Offline CeltsAcumen

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
My opinion is all of the Nets picks are gold and could be top 1-5 picks.

The Oil price drop and the US/Europe sanctions on Russia are killing Russian money and the rumor is that Prokerov is going to sell the Nets.  If that happens, the Nets will dump salary to make them more appealing to a potential buyer.  Any new buyer will start from scratch knowing they cannot rebuild without draft picks and the potential for the Nets being the one of the worst teams in the NBA for 2016, 2017 and 2018 is very high.

That means anyone good or expensive is gone.

Further, the Nets still employ one of the biggest jokes in professional sports Billy King.  He will make the Nets worse.

So I believe the Nets will be bad, really bad for a while.

This is pure speculation but there are already rumors Prokerov is selling and there are already people who are pricing the Nets in preparation for a potential sale.

I would bet that after the Hawks are sold, the Nets go up for sale quickly

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2015, 06:58:11 PM »

Offline European NBA fan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
Sorry if others have said the same thing,

I think the Nets pick will have more to do with growth in the east then it does with their own demise.

East Playoff locks this year and next

1. ATL
2. Toronto
3. Cavs
4. Bulls
5. Wizards
6. Heat

these teams barring crazy change will make the playoffs this season and next

non playoff teams who should really improve next season

7.Pacers

With George back they will be a playoff lock

That makes 7 teams who really should be locks for the 8 spots. So barring injury or major change the rest of the east battles for the last spot.

Projecting next season

Nets, DWill and Johnson are a year older. Plumlee and Young are solid but I wouldn't expect major growth in their games. At best they stay at current level

Bobcats, they are trying to win. If they retain Big AL and their youth keeps developing they should improve and be right on the edge of making the playoffs

Pistons, alot rides on FAs, Monroe and Jackson are retained then this team has to be thinking playoffs.

Knicks, they want to make a FA splash and put the talent around Carmelo to contend, I dont see it happening but have to think they can at least put together a payoff team

Celtics, youth will develop and BS will have them playing good bball. They will be better but with a major move unlikely I see them outside the playoffs next season. They will be a respectable team.

Magic
, young and growing but still not playoff material

76ers, god knows when the Tank ends and even he/she has to be sick of it

So figuring the West will have 2-3 bottom feeders and the east will have likely 1 teams that flops (Magic or Pistons) and the terrible 76ers. That puts a floor of 6th pick for the Nets or Cs.

I predict the Cs with a 12-15th pick and the Nets at 10-13th
You left the Bucks off your list.  I wouldn't count Miami as a lock.  They're barely in the playoffs this year.  Wade will be a year older and Bosh is a question mark.
Plus it isn't set in stone that Dragic will stay in Miami, even if it was one of his favorite destinations. Lakers or Knicks might make a run for him and can pay more than the Heat will want to.