Author Topic: Will the Nets even be that bad next year?  (Read 3750 times)

Will the Nets even be that bad next year?
« on: February 25, 2015, 09:00:41 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
They can't get much worse and will have close to the same team next year. They are currently the eighth seed. The nets also have no reason to tank as we own their pick. I fully expect them to trade one of Lopez, Johnson, or Williams to try and get some more players back to contribute. And with a conference as weak as the East I can easily see them making the playoffs next year.

So much for a lottery pick

Re: Will the Nets even be that bad next year?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 09:04:53 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932
They can't get much worse and will have close to the same team next year. They are currently the eighth seed. The nets also have no reason to tank as we own their pick. I fully expect them to trade one of Lopez, Johnson, or Williams to try and get some more players back to contribute. And with a conference as weak as the East I can easily see them making the playoffs next year.

So much for a lottery pick
Anything can happen, and them getting a year older helps. Still probably a lottery pick knowing all of their injury histories. I don't think it will be at the bottom of the lottery, though, probably mid-lottery at best.

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 09:22:22 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Honestly so long as other teams own all of their picks I think the Nets will continue to fall somewhere in the 35-45 win range.  They'll find a way.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 09:24:52 PM »

Offline lour

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
Everyone thought the Knicks would be good this year based on how they did last year. Anything can happen.

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 09:25:11 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Well, they are borderline late lottery now. Assuming they trade on of their "big 3" I don't think they'll get much back for them unless they take on some bad contracts. Throw in age and injury histories and they could land us a pick in the 8-12 range for sure. Or they could completely implode Knicks style and land us a top 3 pick.

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 09:29:08 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Charlotte, Detroit, Indiana and the C's all figure to be better next year and they're all within 2 games of the Nets right now.  Nets, not so likely to get any better.  I could very easily see the Nets outside the playoffs looking in.

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 10:08:22 PM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
Older teams get more injuries

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 10:19:52 PM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
If the nets have a similar roster to this year next year
They will fall off
Not by becoming worse but from emerging teams in the east

Currently they are struggling to make the playoffs

Teams like Orlando will get a new coach that can better utilise their talent
Indiana will have Paul George back
New York will be players in free agency and may draft an nba ready prospect like Okafor to go with a rehabilitated melo
Detroit will have a more stable core
So other teams that are improving from this year should overtake them in the standings next year

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 10:23:14 PM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
Everyone thought the Knicks would be good this year based on how they did last year. Anything can happen.

That doesn't make sense they were terrible last year and didn't make the playoffs

I think they thought they would be better as in they would have a new coach in fisher teaching the triangle
And the triangle will miraculously fix their offfense

But Jackson ended up trading away major players so they ended up worse plus with those players they still did not execute the triangle offfense well

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 10:24:13 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
It's tough to imagine the Nets pick being worse than about 16th.  It's not tough to imagine that it's a top 10 pick.  It's also somewhat difficult to see Brooklyn improving much the following season.  New York's ability (or lack thereof) to draw a big free agent this summer should give a decent indication of the Nets ability in 2016.

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 10:58:36 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
I think they're doomed to the lottery the next 3 years after this season.

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2015, 11:20:48 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Charlotte, Detroit, Indiana and the C's all figure to be better next year and they're all within 2 games of the Nets right now.  Nets, not so likely to get any better.  I could very easily see the Nets outside the playoffs looking in.

This is the key.  Yeah, they are a playoff team, but the East is really bad currently.  If the Nets stay the same, will the other teams below them get better?  I think yes.  Celtics look to be improving.  Charlotte will get Kemba back.  Detroit is young and on the upswing.  Indiana gets Paul George back.  Even Orlando is a young team that could improve.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2015, 11:22:16 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
We own the rights to Brooklyn's Unprotected first round picks from 2016-18. Three straight drafts. They have so much money tied up in those albatross contracts they gave their core guys when they made the trade with DA; that not only has that trade screwed them for about 5 straight drafts, but in order to remove themselves of those bad deals, they'll have to give up assets to do it. The Johnson, Williams, Lopez trifecta of sadness quite literally hamstrings them from bringing in some guys to really turn the team around in Free Agency.

No matter what way you slice it, that team is trending down fast with no realistic way to improve themselves. Either they ride it out with that core intact or they buy themselves some flexibility by dealing what few remaining future assets they have (I.e. Plumlee) in an effort to dump those contracts. If they do the former, that squad is just gonna get older and worse. By next season I'd be surprised if they can even push into the bottom of the playoff race. If they go that route, those picks should be mid-late lottery at the worst. If they do the latter, they're basically conceding to an extra long term of asset collection. Both of these work out for us.

Of course, anything can happen in the NBA. But the BK trade looks better every day. Red is smiling down from the heavens about that trade
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 10:06:27 AM by BDeCosta26 »

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2015, 03:26:17 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915

Call me crazy, but I think Minnesota could be in the mix, also.  Helps us in the lottery, if not the playoff picture.

2016 will be a lottery pick, but at the lower end of the lottery, in the 10-14 range.  The east is just that bad.  I'm thinking that 2017 is going to be the big year for us.  In a world without injuries (even to Brook Lopez), though, we could look really good in 2017.

I don't think the Nets get much done in the offseason.  They can't afford to sign anyone, since they're locked up to the tune of $86m in salaries.  I'm assuming that Lopez and Young both re-up, although I wouldn't be upset if Young left for greener pastures.  Thus, anything they do in the off-season is dump salary which, over the short-term at least, will make them worse.  Maybe, and I mean maybe, they get a late first-rounder for Lopez at the trade deadline next year from somebody desperate.  That leaves them a "core" of Young, Plumlee and Jarrett.

The big hope for them is 2016, when they will likely end up with somebody decent simply because they are in NYC and have a ton of cash, with only $25m committed.  But Durant is going to DC, LeBron will stay in Cleveland (and attract somebody else), Love will either stay with Lebron or head west and Anthony is RFA.  So who do you get?  Maybe Noah or Jefferson?  An aging Dwayne Wade?  Roy Hibbert or Horford?  They'll be competing with the Lakers, Knicks and a bunch of other teams with a lot of money.  Hey, if you want to go to a big-name city and you have a bunch of loser teams to choose from, which of the following teams do you want to go to: Lakers ($8m committed), Clippers ($56m), Knicks ($32m), Dallas ($28) or the Nets ($25)?  A lot of good choices there, but the Clippers already look good, Dallas has great tax laws, and the Lakers & Knicks both have nice draft picks, not to mention plenty of cap room in 2015-16.

This could be fun.

Mike

ETA: I just read BDeCosta's post in its entirety and realized that we made all of the same points.  BD, you've been TP'ed.

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2015, 03:50:59 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
Sorry if others have said the same thing,

I think the Nets pick will have more to do with growth in the east then it does with their own demise.

East Playoff locks this year and next

1. ATL
2. Toronto
3. Cavs
4. Bulls
5. Wizards
6. Heat

these teams barring crazy change will make the playoffs this season and next

non playoff teams who should really improve next season

7.Pacers

With George back they will be a playoff lock

That makes 7 teams who really should be locks for the 8 spots. So barring injury or major change the rest of the east battles for the last spot.

Projecting next season

Nets, DWill and Johnson are a year older. Plumlee and Young are solid but I wouldn't expect major growth in their games. At best they stay at current level

Bobcats, they are trying to win. If they retain Big AL and their youth keeps developing they should improve and be right on the edge of making the playoffs

Pistons, alot rides on FAs, Monroe and Jackson are retained then this team has to be thinking playoffs.

Knicks, they want to make a FA splash and put the talent around Carmelo to contend, I dont see it happening but have to think they can at least put together a payoff team

Celtics, youth will develop and BS will have them playing good bball. They will be better but with a major move unlikely I see them outside the playoffs next season. They will be a respectable team.

Magic
, young and growing but still not playoff material

76ers, god knows when the Tank ends and even he/she has to be sick of it

So figuring the West will have 2-3 bottom feeders and the east will have likely 1 teams that flops (Magic or Pistons) and the terrible 76ers. That puts a floor of 6th pick for the Nets or Cs.

I predict the Cs with a 12-15th pick and the Nets at 10-13th

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet