Author Topic: Boston Celtics Backcourt Is Packed with Promising Potential  (Read 6764 times)

Re: Boston Celtics Backcourt Is Packed with Promising Potential
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2015, 11:28:03 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Despite wingspan, Harrell is undersized. If he reaches potential, he could be legit at the 4 - more impact on D than O. But that makes KO/Sully expendable... not a bad time to trade either if, in fact, we can somehow land a max free agent.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2015, 11:33:02 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Backcourt will be fine. Can we please find a couple of bigs that are willing and able to play defense?

I think Cauley stein is going to be Ainge's answer for this.

I think WCS will be out of our range.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised to see Ainge take Montrezl Harrell as a replacement for Bass and then draft a project big like Mam Jaiteh, Robert Upshaw, Christian Wood, Dakari Johnson, etc.
not a bad strategy, assuming someone not does fall in the draft. then ainge will jump on him.

as for WCS being out of range, he probably will be. but, ainge might have the chips to move up and grab him. moving up 3-4 places is possible as long it is outside the #1-5 range. WCS will probably last until 7 to 9. its possible.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2015, 11:36:39 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
Backcourt will be fine. Can we please find a couple of bigs that are willing and able to play defense?

I think Cauley stein is going to be Ainge's answer for this.

I think WCS will be out of our range.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised to see Ainge take Montrezl Harrell as a replacement for Bass and then draft a project big like Mam Jaiteh, Robert Upshaw, Christian Wood, Dakari Johnson, etc.
not a bad strategy, assuming someone not does fall in the draft. then ainge will jump on him.

as for WCS being out of range, he probably will be. but, ainge might have the chips to move up and grab him. moving up 3-4 places is possible as long it is outside the #1-5 range. WCS will probably last until 7 to 9. its possible.

I wouldn't be surprised to see DA move up to get WCS.  He has a lot of bargaining chips to play with.
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2015, 02:03:38 AM »

Offline Maurice98

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 36
I like Montrezl Harell as well because of his intensity and he might be undersized but his wingspan and standing reach make up for it. He's also a winner.
People compare him to Ben Wallace because he plays bigger than he is and he's very strong. They compare him to KG because he's intense but I would like to say that Harrell blocks shots but like KG, he's a rim protector that doesn't need to be a very good shot blocker but he understands positioning and he covers a lot of ground.

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2015, 03:35:12 AM »

Offline krumeto

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
The feasible scenario I see is taking whoever available with our pick and trading up from the Clips one. I think that would be easier to do.

Ours - 8-10 - either WCS or Porzingis or Winslow will be available. Porzingis is a wild card - very high potential both on O and on D. Extremely long, excellent shot-blocker, very mobile. And he is already performing well in the ACB.

Combine Clips pick with 2nd rounders and move up - (by the way, Draftexpress has us picking Harrell straight up at 23 in their latest draft). Primary target - Jakob Pöltl. Very good size, excellent potential defensively. Rich man Asik, considering the higher potential on O.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 03:42:58 AM by krumeto »
"We do so many defensive drills in practice, I come home and I'm putting the press on my woman, denying her the ball.
Y'all are laughing, but it's sad. I go home and deny the wing."

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2015, 04:08:05 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
The "Bleacher Report" seems to like the new look of the backcourt. Are you satisfied at all.

Off season, do we spend the money on Jimmy Butler or similar upgrade at the guard position ?

Or do we look to spend in the front court.

LOL.  We don't need Jimmy Butler.

We need upgrade to 3/4/5 spot.  A frontline player.
Hard to find a top flight 5, so that's what I'd want first.
Cousins, anyone?

Our 4's are pretty good with Sullinger/KO/Jerebko.

But I'd trade Sully+ for an upgrade or top 10 pick if we can get one.
At the 3 Jae Crowder is sufficiently good placeholder.  Young has upside and can also cover at the 2. 

We don't really have a starting caliber 3 yet.  I'd love Stanley Johnson for that role.  But we probably don't get a high enough pick this year because oops... we're starting to WIN too many games!

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2015, 05:47:48 AM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
Since we are winning games and we have a weak draft (supposedly), shouldn't we be looking for a trade? IT is the start of the answer. The rest of the equation isn't filled by the draft. We need a big man and another forward who can contribute. Get the right two and the present squad does the rest.

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2015, 05:52:03 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
The "Bleacher Report" seems to like the new look of the backcourt. Are you satisfied at all.

Off season, do we spend the money on Jimmy Butler or similar upgrade at the guard position ?

Or do we look to spend in the front court.

LOL.  We don't need Jimmy Butler.

We need upgrade to 3/4/5 spot.  A frontline player.
Hard to find a top flight 5, so that's what I'd want first.
Cousins, anyone?

Our 4's are pretty good with Sullinger/KO/Jerebko.

But I'd trade Sully+ for an upgrade or top 10 pick if we can get one.
At the 3 Jae Crowder is sufficiently good placeholder.  Young has upside and can also cover at the 2. 

We don't really have a starting caliber 3 yet.  I'd love Stanley Johnson for that role.  But we probably don't get a high enough pick this year because oops... we're starting to WIN too many games!

I agree, we need a serious 3.  Love Johnson and if we can't get him, I'd be happy with Oubre.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2015, 06:44:33 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
While I like some of our team for the future I feel we really have a group of role players/bench guys (currently).  Go after cousins period.  Use what assets we have then see who is left. 

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2015, 09:55:21 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Despite wingspan, Harrell is undersized. If he reaches potential, he could be legit at the 4 - more impact on D than O. But that makes KO/Sully expendable... not a bad time to trade either if, in fact, we can somehow land a max free agent.

If we can't get a center that is a long term answer, this above, or something similar would be a nice option.

Sully said all the right words, but the fact is, he also said, "I've done it before" insinuating he will do it and then revert back to the out of condition Sully we all know. A career ending injury just waiting to happen. To me Kelly will never be a front line PF.
If the opportunity arises to get a defensive upgrade at PF that can contribute on the O end...do it!

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2015, 11:21:10 AM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215

If we can't get a center that is a long term answer, this above, or something similar would be a nice option.

Sully said all the right words, but the fact is, he also said, "I've done it before" insinuating he will do it and then revert back to the out of condition Sully we all know. A career ending injury just waiting to happen. To me Kelly will never be a front line PF.
If the opportunity arises to get a defensive upgrade at PF that can contribute on the O end...do it!
agreed.

The fact that Bass can hold down the Four spot while Sully and Olynyk are out is a good sign we need an upgrade.

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2015, 11:24:37 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I think our SF tandem of Turner and Crowder just may be good enough with both have some upside left.  That's if we can land an elite big man like Cousins or even Embiid.  If we land say only a solid defensive center like Hibbert I would throw a bunch of picks to the Bucks for Parker, and see if they bite.  After all they just traded Knight.

Back to the topic I agree I'm really liking our backcourt.  Thomas is just what we needed there.

I think you can get  away with Turner/Crowder if you get an elite big, but that's a big if.

No way the Bucks get rid of Parker, though.

I think our backcourt is worse than it was in 2012, but it's passable.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2015, 11:48:48 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I like Harrell with our 2nd 1st.

But he will have issues in the nba  against bigger pfs and centers.

Vs christmas, he looked much shorter and also got outplayed
Harrell looks like a brandon bass part  2 with a little more explosiveness but not as good jump shot