Author Topic: Lebron James on son's recruitment  (Read 11415 times)

Re: Lebron James on son's recruitment
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2015, 10:12:02 AM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
Oh poor Lebron. His 10 year old is being recruited. Poor poor Lebron. Goodness gracious, whatever will he do?

Oh man. I can't believe it. It's another letter from UCLA! Oh and now it's Duke! Princeton? What the heck! Throw that in the trash!
Lebron to son: "NO SON OF MINE IS GONNA GO TO COLLEGE! YOU HEAR ME!?"
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2015, 10:15:23 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
LeBrons mother gave him  Hum Vee SUV .....back in the day when they were the thing ....70k

I don't think James parents were rich ...not many parents give their 16 year old a 70 K SUV .to drive to high school?

Idon't think he yet had his drivers license ......he was 15 yrs old .or maybe he just got his learners permit.....this was on the news back then ...showing LeBron in high school gym.....he looked like a college player fours before he would be a college age student

Although he looked 21 at 15 .

I always wondered about all that money his mother all of a sudden had ........

« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2015, 10:25:44 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
LeBrons mother gave him  Hum Vee SUV .....back in the day when they were the thing ....70k

I don't think James parents were rich ...not many parents give their 16 year old a 70 K SUV .to drive to high school?

Idon't think he yet had his drivers license ......he was 15 yrs old .or maybe he just got his learners permit.....this was on the news back then ...showing LeBron in high school gym.....he looked like a college player fours before he would be a college age student

Wondering about it because you need to focus your Google-Fu

Gloria James said she took out a bank loan in Columbus to buy the Hummer - shipped from a dealership in California and outfitted with three TVs and computer game hookups - for her son's 18th birthday.

Muscaro's concern was that James had accepted the Hummer from an agent or outside source and had violated an OHSAA bylaw that says amateur status is forfeited if an athlete capitalizes on athletic fame by receiving money or gifts of monetary value.

Muscaro was shown the business records from the bank and dealership and was satisfied that the financing and acquisition of the vehicle were acquired by James' mother alone.

"I'm not in position to question bank officials," Muscaro said. "I am satisfied that the loan that was granted did not violate our guidelines and was acquired only by his mother."

Muscaro said no violations of the OHSAA amateur bylaws "as currently written" were found and that James is still eligible to play.
http://www2.cincinnati.com/preps/2003/01/28/wwwprep2a28.html

Probably secured a loan against James' future earnings, but I don't know for sure.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2015, 03:24:53 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143

Wondering about it because you need to focus your Google-Fu

Gloria James said she took out a bank loan in Columbus to buy the Hummer - shipped from a dealership in California and outfitted with three TVs and computer game hookups - for her son's 18th birthday.

Muscaro's concern was that James had accepted the Hummer from an agent or outside source and had violated an OHSAA bylaw that says amateur status is forfeited if an athlete capitalizes on athletic fame by receiving money or gifts of monetary value.

Muscaro was shown the business records from the bank and dealership and was satisfied that the financing and acquisition of the vehicle were acquired by James' mother alone.

"I'm not in position to question bank officials," Muscaro said. "I am satisfied that the loan that was granted did not violate our guidelines and was acquired only by his mother."

Muscaro said no violations of the OHSAA amateur bylaws "as currently written" were found and that James is still eligible to play.
http://www2.cincinnati.com/preps/2003/01/28/wwwprep2a28.html

Probably secured a loan against James' future earnings, but I don't know for sure.

This is probably it. You can loan a lot of money against your future earnings just by going to law school or med school. It's probably pretty easy to borrow large amounts of money from banks when your son is almost guaranteed to sign a multi-million dollar contract in a couple years.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2015, 10:04:37 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
One has to admit Bron is probably the only guy on the planet that gets annoyed about his kid getting routine offers of a $200K value.

You're cool with colleges recruiting 10 year olds?  Offering non-binding commitments 7 or 8 years before a kid is going to graduate?
I'm 100% cool with it.  I don't see any reason I wouldn't be.

Okay.  I try to keep sleazy people away from my kids as much as possible, and a lot of college recruiters (and associated agents, coaches, etc.) fall into that category.
I have to plead some ignorance here. What do you think is the worst thing that can happen here? With any kid for that matter? That a decent parent can't intervene and disallow? I mean if he is getting offers frooomm...idk...South West Witchita State which isn't accredited then I can see the problem. But if he gets a letter from UCLA or a call from a coach on Coach K's staff or a recognizable alumni goes to the game and applauds, or he gets a t shirt in the mail or a package of college related materials I don't see the issue.

I have had my kid thinking of college since birth. I've taken him to many college campuses and have college stuff hanging on his wall for a reason.  To have a reputable college contact him would be a dream come true.
and then your 10 year old gets his heart set on that school, but doesn't progress enough and at 17 they pull the scholarship offer they made when he was 10. 

It is a business of sleaze and 10 is way too early for an athletic scholarship.  Now sure if your kid is brilliant that MIT, Stanford, etc. are recruiting him for his mind at 10, that is a bit different as you don't tend to get dumber as you get older, athletics are just a far different thing.
So kids can't aspire to things because they might get their hearts set on it and fail?  I wish more kids aspired to achieve. To go to a school on a basketball scholarship they'll have to at least be eligible. Lebron and Kobe were good students. You'd think he'd be encouraging his kids to think of this. Maybe he's just a bad parent.

« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2015, 06:27:59 AM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
People get so blinded by their hatred of LeBron that they don't realize his point is pretty [dang] valid.
BINGO. The point of this is they go after 10 year olds and that's wrong.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2015, 06:45:24 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Jordan's son did not do too hot, why would anyone think LBJ's would, there is less mental drive there than was with Jordan.

wait are you referring to Lebron's mental drive compared to Jordan's? I am assuming you are not discussing the 10 year old's mental drive. That would be hilarious/insane

It's like one of those crazy overbearing AAU elementary school coaches.

Coach:"DO YOU THINK MICHAEL JORDAN COMPLAINED ABOUT BEING TIRED?!"
10 year old: "who's Michael Jordan?"
Coach: Has heart attack.

All the kids should know who MJ is, without him paving the way they probably wouldn't be able to travel and palm the ball as much as they do. But I digress.

« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2015, 08:49:55 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
One has to admit Bron is probably the only guy on the planet that gets annoyed about his kid getting routine offers of a $200K value.

You're cool with colleges recruiting 10 year olds?  Offering non-binding commitments 7 or 8 years before a kid is going to graduate?

Okay.  I try to keep sleazy people away from my kids as much as possible, and a lot of college recruiters (and associated agents, coaches, etc.) fall into that category.
I have to plead some ignorance here. What do you think is the worst thing that can happen here? With any kid for that matter? That a decent parent can't intervene and disallow? I mean if he is getting offers frooomm...idk...South West Witchita State which isn't accredited then I can see the problem. But if he gets a letter from UCLA or a call from a coach on Coach K's staff or a recognizable alumni goes to the game and applauds, or he gets a t shirt in the mail or a package of college related materials I don't see the issue.

I have had my kid thinking of college since birth. I've taken him to many college campuses and have college stuff hanging on his wall for a reason.  To have a reputable college contact him would be a dream come true.
and then your 10 year old gets his heart set on that school, but doesn't progress enough and at 17 they pull the scholarship offer they made when he was 10. 

It is a business of sleaze and 10 is way too early for an athletic scholarship.  Now sure if your kid is brilliant that MIT, Stanford, etc. are recruiting him for his mind at 10, that is a bit different as you don't tend to get dumber as you get older, athletics are just a far different thing.
So kids can't aspire to things because they might get their hearts set on it and fail?  I wish more kids aspired to achieve. To go to a school on a basketball scholarship they'll have to at least be eligible. Lebron and Kobe were good students. You'd think he'd be encouraging his kids to think of this. Maybe he's just a bad parent.
come on this is a ridiculous argument.  10 year old kids should not be recruited.  It is a sick disgusting business.  The fact that anyone doesn't see a problem with it is quite astonishing really.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2015, 09:22:34 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Jordan's son did not do too hot, why would anyone think LBJ's would, there is less mental drive there than was with Jordan.

wait are you referring to Lebron's mental drive compared to Jordan's? I am assuming you are not discussing the 10 year old's mental drive. That would be hilarious/insane

It's like one of those crazy overbearing AAU elementary school coaches.

Coach:"DO YOU THINK MICHAEL JORDAN COMPLAINED ABOUT BEING TIRED?!"
10 year old: "who's Michael Jordan?"
Coach: Has heart attack.

All the kids should know who MJ is, without him paving the way they probably wouldn't be able to travel and palm the ball as much as they do. But I digress.
;D

Should know, but...
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2014/01/06/bradley-beal-wore-23-for-lebron-james/
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2015, 10:22:07 AM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
God, Le Bron could complain about robberies to his house, and people would say "You shouldn't be that rich" C'mon guys, when you're 10 years old you shouldn't be getting recruited. LBJ is 100% right on this one.

« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2015, 10:38:33 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Does he "son" automatically

Come

With a

Headband  ;D

« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2015, 10:46:08 AM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
I 100% agree with Lebron. At 10 people can't tell the difference between people who actually want to see them succeed and people who want to leech off of them and exploit them. By high school he has hopefully figured out that the people with his last name are the ones with his best interests in mind and the people from the NCAA are all worthless parasites.
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2015, 04:49:39 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

come on this is a ridiculous argument.  10 year old kids should not be recruited.  It is a sick disgusting business.  The fact that anyone doesn't see a problem with it is quite astonishing really.
Could you just please be slightly more clear? What is ridiculous about my statement? What about college recruiting is a sick and disgusting business?
Parents should be very involved with this process whether they are 8 or 18. I have gone out of my way to take my kid to USC, UCLA, Duke, UNC, NCSt, BC, PSU, Yale, Arizona, Arizona St.  He's 7 and a half. Should I not have taken him? Should he be unaware that there are colleges where you study and where there are sports?  If we got a letter from Coach K should we not open it? I'm not gonna pay hundreds of dollars for him to go to a sports camp any time soon. It's called parenting. I'm not sure Bron has a great concept of it because he didn't have a normal life growing up himself.

« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2015, 04:50:48 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I 100% agree with Lebron. At 10 people can't tell the difference between people who actually want to see them succeed and people who want to leech off of them and exploit them. By high school he has hopefully figured out that the people with his last name are the ones with his best interests in mind and the people from the NCAA are all worthless parasites.
Yeah Grant Hill really did terrible with that Coach K guy. And Bill Walton needs to realize John Wooden was just using him.

« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2015, 05:10:10 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Could you just please be slightly more clear? What is ridiculous about my statement? What about college recruiting is a sick and disgusting business?
Parents should be very involved with this process whether they are 8 or 18. I have gone out of my way to take my kid to USC, UCLA, Duke, UNC, NCSt, BC, PSU, Yale, Arizona, Arizona St.  He's 7 and a half. Should I not have taken him? Should he be unaware that there are colleges where you study and where there are sports?  If we got a letter from Coach K should we not open it? I'm not gonna pay hundreds of dollars for him to go to a sports camp any time soon. It's called parenting. I'm not sure Bron has a great concept of it because he didn't have a normal life growing up himself.
or maybe Lebron going through it and seeing what a sick and disgusting business it is, realizes that 10 year olds have no business being recruited. 

EDIT: I mean look at all the recruiting scandals.  Do you think a 10 year old knows he can't accept sneakers from that nice man in the crowd.  What about if he gets bought a hamburger?  And those are just mild examples.  NCAA sports are big business and where that much money is involved it only leads to corruption.  10 is way too young to be recruited.  It just seems disgusting to have 45 year old men basically stalking a 10 year old. 
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 05:25:41 PM by Moranis »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip