Author Topic: Lebron James on son's recruitment  (Read 11432 times)

Lebron James on son's recruitment
« on: February 25, 2015, 02:58:15 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
Today Lebron James has been complaining about colleges recruiting his 10 year old son. While I think it is ridiculous (and maybe should be illegal) for universities to recruit and send mail to a 10 year old boy, Lebron James seems to have brought at least some of the attention on himself. From the article:

"James might rebuke some of the attention that his son has received, but he's also responsible for a portion of the hype. On Dec. 22, he tweeted an embedded video of LeBron James Jr. at an AAU tournament. The video features highlights of his son penetrating, scoring and passing just like his father." -

Note Lebron James has 19 million followers and this video reached more people than even the biggest recruiter in the world could dream of

"He plays just like I did," James told reporters Tuesday, according to Fox Sports Ohio. "He has great awareness, and he'd rather pass first and set guys up. Most kids nowadays just want to score."

Does it seem fair to be trying to build up a monster brand and promoting your son's skill to a large audience and then complain about the result? Thoughts?

Re: Lebron James on son's recruitment
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 03:02:33 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Ah, the "If only parents weren't allowed to share their excitement about their children on the internet" phenomenon.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 03:03:49 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Note I softened the tone of my original post after thinking about it some more. It is really hard to say what the right thing for Lebron to do/say is in this situation. I think it is great he is proud of his son and I think every parent should be happy to share there child's achievements. However, I think Lebron also has to recognize the massive audience he has built through his brand and promoting things through it (in this case his son) will bring attention.

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 03:07:11 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Don't want to sidetrack discussion with a needless battle so deleted

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 03:08:11 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I think there should be rules against this stuff.  10 is too young.

As for Lebron bragging about his son on social media...  Yes, he's an egomaniac with a worldwide audience, but can we give him the benefit of the doubt and say that he's just a proud dad?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 03:10:34 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Note I softened the tone of my original post after thinking about it some more. It is really hard to say what the right thing for Lebron to do/say is in this situation. I think it is great he is proud of his son and I think every parent should be happy to share there child's achievements. However, I think Lebron also has to recognize the massive audience he has built through his brand and promoting things through it (in this case his son) will bring attention.
Absolutely agreed. And I agree with you -- there's no reason NCAA teams should be recruiting his kid, but  the NCAA is a gross organization. To some degree, I don't think James has a leg to stand on because he is a brand, but at the same time they'd be hounding the kid regardless because of who his dad is.

Personally, I would love it if the James kids spurned the NCAA to play overseas.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 03:12:23 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Ah, the "If only parents weren't allowed to share their excitement about their children on the internet" phenomenon.

DOS you try to get so snarky with your replies it really doesn't add anything to the conversation. I posted my second comment simultaneously to yours, but would like to hear what you actually think rather some stupid one liner.

Almost every parent does put up pictures of their kids on facebook or other forms of social media. However, if a famous person puts up a picture and it gets 10,000 comments, can that person complain that there is too much attention on their child? It is actually a rather complex result of our celebrity obsessed culture and the internet and it would be nice to have a good conversation with celtics bloggers rather than some off the cuff remarks intended to proof your wit and genius.

I was typing a real reply when you posted this, but since you seem to get so excited by snark I'd like to point out that it'd be either "prove your wit and genius" or "proof of your wit and genius."

In my modesty, I'll accept that you were caught up in adoration and awe, and meant both simultaneously. I'm touched.

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 03:13:58 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
If he tweets about his son and shows a video, what does he expect?

Can't have your cake and eat it too. Although he always thinks he can
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 03:17:30 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

DOS you try to get so snarky with your replies it really doesn't add anything to the conversation. I posted my second comment simultaneously to yours, but would like to hear what you actually think rather some stupid one liner.

Almost every parent does put up pictures of their kids on facebook or other forms of social media. However, if a famous person puts up a picture and it gets 10,000 comments, can that person complain that there is too much attention on their child? It is actually a rather complex result of our celebrity obsessed culture and the internet and it would be nice to have a good conversation with celtics bloggers rather than some off the cuff remarks intended to proof your wit and genius.

I was typing a real reply when you posted this, but since you seem to get so excited by snark I'd like to point out that it'd be either "prove your wit and genius" or "proof of your wit and genius."

In my modesty, I'll accept that you were caught up in adoration and awe, and meant both simultaneously. I'm touched.

I already deleted my comment because I didn't want to derail the conversation. I'll just be honest it was irritating that I made a post and instead of a real reply received what just seemed to be a snarky reply from you. Maybe it was an overreaction on my part. I'll get this thread back on the topic because I do think it is a bit of an interesting dynamic and give you a tp for overreacting.

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 03:21:05 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Jordan's son did not do too hot, why would anyone think LBJ's would, there is less mental drive there than was with Jordan.

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 03:24:12 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Jordan's son did not do too hot, why would anyone think LBJ's would, there is less mental drive there than was with Jordan.

wait are you referring to Lebron's mental drive compared to Jordan's? I am assuming you are not discussing the 10 year old's mental drive. That would be hilarious/insane

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2015, 03:28:44 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

wait are you referring to Lebron's mental drive compared to Jordan's? I am assuming you are not discussing the 10 year old's mental drive. That would be hilarious/insane

It's like one of those crazy overbearing AAU elementary school coaches.

Coach:"DO YOU THINK MICHAEL JORDAN COMPLAINED ABOUT BEING TIRED?!"
10 year old: "who's Michael Jordan?"
Coach: Has heart attack.

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2015, 03:44:15 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Yes, the players not the kid's mental drive.   It is impossible to have the same hunger once your rich, I would think.

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2015, 04:03:45 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Yes, the players not the kid's mental drive.   It is impossible to have the same hunger once your rich, I would think.

There are rich kids that do well in their fields.  There are sons of athletes that are good athletes.  In fact better. 

Andrew Luck of the Colts for example is the son of a average to below average NFL QB.

I understand the idea of what you're saying and think it can be common.  It's certainly not the rule.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2015, 04:40:45 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
Figured this is too perfect not to post

RECRUITERS!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fy878f83Xa4
I trust Danny Ainge