Author Topic: Larry Sanders...Why I quit Basketball  (Read 33845 times)

Re: Larry Sanders...Why I quit Basketball
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2015, 12:47:50 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
good find.
hope all the best for him. Looks like a genuine guy, unlike how the media portrays him. There will always be a place in the league for a talent like him if he ever decides to return.
Let's recap, he signed a big fat contract last season, then figured out that he really "didn't want to be in the NBA" and wants to do "what's best for his family". As a result, he's going to collect $11 million this season and roughly $2 million per year for the next 7(!) years. Seems real "genuine" to me.

I've got no problem with what he's doing, and I actually applaud him.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2015, 12:52:48 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
I don't have a problem with the drugs.  I don't have a problem with him deciding that there are more important things in life than basketball.  But everything he's saying is kind of hollow when he hasn't had to make any sacrifices to pursue what makes him happy.

It's really easy to say that this is the best decision for his family when he gets a buyout for doing nothing at all.  How are these NBA contracts written that he's entitled to even one cent?  In any other job if you decide you don't feel like working anymore, your contract is torn up.  I wonder if he would be singing the same tune if that was the case here.

Go google 'guaranteed contracts.'

Are you going to explain the point you're trying to make or do you just want me to Google "guaranteed contracts" for no particular reason?

The term "guaranteed contact" is purely agent-speak.  It has no legal definition whatsoever.  It doesn't even have a consistent definition across the NBA.  What is called a "guaranteed contract" by the media can have any number of clauses in it which makes it anything but guaranteed.  I'm asking how they managed to write a contract which seemingly entitles one party to compensation without any tangible value going in the other direction.  This is not a valid contract under U.S. law.

All of this is to say that what must have actually happened was that Larry Sanders told them, "I don't feel like playing basketball anymore", to which they responded, "Fine, we'll just keep our money then" (which is 100% within their rights as an employer).  So Sanders came back and said, "Okay, I changed my mind.  I'll be happy to half-ass my way through a few seasons for a paycheck."  Then they negotiated a buyout.  What I'm trying to understand is why everyone seems to be so quick to profess their respect for a guy that basically just extorted millions from the Bucks?

Maybe if you googled that phrase, you'd be able to find the answer to your questions and complaints, namely:

How are these NBA contracts written that he's entitled to even one cent?

I'm asking how they managed to write a contract which seemingly entitles one party to compensation without any tangible value going in the other direction.

That's information that you can easily find out on your own, instead of griping about someone you don't know involved in something you clearly don't understand:)

Here, I'll get you started:
http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q64

Come on, there's no need for that.  Especially when the article confirms that my understanding was pretty accurate.  The only thing I didn't account for was the inability to render services due to mental health issues.  That explains why the Bucks were left on the hook for the balance of his contract.  It also makes me even more skeptical that he actually has a mental health disorder, but I'll admit that that is complete conjecture.
Fair enough -- apologies. The smile was to lighten it a little bit since things tend to read more seriously than the sound in person.

Ah, sorry.  I thought it was a sarcastic smile.
you had it right the first time.

« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2015, 12:54:57 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
good find.
hope all the best for him. Looks like a genuine guy, unlike how the media portrays him. There will always be a place in the league for a talent like him if he ever decides to return.
Let's recap, he signed a big fat contract last season, then figured out that he really "didn't want to be in the NBA" and wants to do "what's best for his family". As a result, he's going to collect $11 million this season and roughly $2 million per year for the next 7(!) years. Seems real "genuine" to me.

Whatever Sanders' inner turmoil is, I still don't see what of his actions is worthy of applause. So far, all he's done is quit his job to pursue other interests and is going to be compensated well despite breaking his contract. I don't see what's admirable about that.

« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2015, 12:57:01 PM »

Offline jonaslopes

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
Finally! No more "let's get Sanders" threads!
It's nice seeing him get exposed as overrated after having argued with fellow fans for years that he was overrated.. but I don't hate him. I'm looking forward to seeing him [...] bounce around to a couple more teams... eventually come back to Boston[...] and helps us as a role player until he runs himself out of the league.
LarBrd33 on Rondo

« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2015, 12:57:05 PM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
As someone who just lost a very close relative to depression/suicide on Friday, I find the snipping at Sanders here kinda sad.

I finished watching this w/ more respect for Sanders -- seeing him as someone who has seemed to reach some insight into who he is and what things he's struggling with. Millions of people struggle with depression in silence, or cover it up, then get to a point of no return and take their life... I don't know why -- even if he ends up with some millions folks think are undeserved -- you'd begrudge another human for working through that.

I really applaud D.o.s. and others for pointing out that depression & mental illness are just as debilitating *medical conditions* as Rose's knee, Larry's back, etc.

If folks are so upset about Sanders reaching a buyout, I hope you're also upset about the hundreds of millions the owners get when they sell their teams that the players never see any of...
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2015, 01:09:40 PM »

Offline e4e5sesame

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 11
As someone who just lost my mother-in-law to depression on Friday, I find the snipping at Sanders here sad.

I really applaud D.o.s. and others for pointing out that depression & mental illness are just as debilitating *medical conditions* as Rose's knee, Larry's back, etc.

If folks are so upset about Sanders reaching a buyout, I hope you're also upset about the rookie wage scale and the salary cap. All these things are negotiated....

You don't have to be insensitive to mental illness to be skeptical of someone's claims about it.  The only thing more harmful to mental illness than people who deny its existence are people who lie about it for personal gain.  I really hope Sanders isn't one of those people, but he has a huge incentive to lie and he's admitted to not even liking basketball.

« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2015, 01:12:57 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
As someone who just lost a very close relative to depression/suicide on Friday, I find the snipping at Sanders here kinda sad.

I finished watching this w/ more respect for Sanders -- seeing him as someone who has seemed to reach some insight into who he is and what things he's struggling with. Millions of people struggle with depression in silence, or cover it up, then get to a point of no return and take their life... I don't know why -- even if he ends up with some millions folks think are undeserved -- you'd begrudge another human for working through that.

If folks are so upset about Sanders reaching a buyout, I hope you're also upset about the hundreds of millions the owners get when they sell their teams that the players never see any of...
Hey very sorry for your loss. I apologize if anything I said was disrespectful to people who struggle with depression.

« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2015, 01:21:28 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I don't have a problem with the drugs.  I don't have a problem with him deciding that there are more important things in life than basketball.  But everything he's saying is kind of hollow when he hasn't had to make any sacrifices to pursue what makes him happy.

It's really easy to say that this is the best decision for his family when he gets a buyout for doing nothing at all.  How are these NBA contracts written that he's entitled to even one cent?  In any other job if you decide you don't feel like working anymore, your contract is torn up.  I wonder if he would be singing the same tune if that was the case here.

Go google 'guaranteed contracts.'

Are you going to explain the point you're trying to make or do you just want me to Google "guaranteed contracts" for no particular reason?

The term "guaranteed contact" is purely agent-speak.  It has no legal definition whatsoever.  It doesn't even have a consistent definition across the NBA.  What is called a "guaranteed contract" by the media can have any number of clauses in it which makes it anything but guaranteed.  I'm asking how they managed to write a contract which seemingly entitles one party to compensation without any tangible value going in the other direction.  This is not a valid contract under U.S. law.

All of this is to say that what must have actually happened was that Larry Sanders told them, "I don't feel like playing basketball anymore", to which they responded, "Fine, we'll just keep our money then" (which is 100% within their rights as an employer).  So Sanders came back and said, "Okay, I changed my mind.  I'll be happy to half-ass my way through a few seasons for a paycheck."  Then they negotiated a buyout.  What I'm trying to understand is why everyone seems to be so quick to profess their respect for a guy that basically just extorted millions from the Bucks?

Maybe if you googled that phrase, you'd be able to find the answer to your questions and complaints, namely:

How are these NBA contracts written that he's entitled to even one cent?

I'm asking how they managed to write a contract which seemingly entitles one party to compensation without any tangible value going in the other direction.

That's information that you can easily find out on your own, instead of griping about someone you don't know involved in something you clearly don't understand:)

Here, I'll get you started:
http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q64

Come on, there's no need for that.  Especially when the article confirms that my understanding was pretty accurate.  The only thing I didn't account for was the inability to render services due to mental health issues.  That explains why the Bucks were left on the hook for the balance of his contract.  It also makes me even more skeptical that he actually has a mental health disorder, but I'll admit that that is complete conjecture.
Fair enough -- apologies. The smile was to lighten it a little bit since things tend to read more seriously than the sound in person.

Ah, sorry.  I thought it was a sarcastic smile.
you had it right the first time.

It's certainly sarcastic, but it's not meant to be mean/insulting. Hence the clarification.

In the future, though, please feel free to tell other posters what my intentions are.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2015, 01:22:02 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
As someone who just lost my mother-in-law to depression on Friday, I find the snipping at Sanders here sad.

If folks are so upset about Sanders reaching a buyout, I hope you're also upset about the rookie wage scale and the salary cap. All these things are negotiated....

You don't have to be insensitive to mental illness to be skeptical of someone's claims about it.  The only thing more harmful to mental illness than people who deny its existence are people who lie about it for personal gain.  I really hope Sanders isn't one of those people, but he has a huge incentive to lie and he's admitted to not even liking basketball.
Oh so you think you are being supportive of mental illness sufferers by calling out wealthy people as fakes? Man people are weird....

The only thing more harmful to mental illness than people who deny its existence are people who lie about it for personal gain
I'd rank the stigma and sense of shame as much higher than that. Lack of coverage of treatment and difficulty finding caregivers after that.

I'd probably get to number 20 before I worried about "scam artists".

« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2015, 01:22:03 PM »

Offline elcotte

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 52
good find.
koz, honestly, you are talking out your ass here aren't you? you don't know him or his justifications or reasoning. you do have a personal take and that is what i see here. you post better stuff than this.
I don't really care about his rationalization ... or justification, if you wish. He chose to sign an NBA contract and is refusing to honor it without being physically unable to perform. You tell me one good reason why he should be entitled to any part of his salary.

He's not the only party to the contract. 
I'm sure that you love Three Dog Night.....Easy to be Hard, very interesting song.

« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2015, 01:22:24 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
good find.

you don't need money to support a family? what else was he gonna do... turn down the money?
Not to mention, he got bought out.. he's not milking the contract like gilbert arenas and whatever's left of Amare Stoudemire.
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2015, 01:23:28 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
In the future, though, please feel free to tell other posters what my intentions are.
D.O.S. I typically assume your phasers are set to "lulz".

Is that fair?

If not I don't care.

« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2015, 01:24:52 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
good find.

Whatever Sanders' inner turmoil is, I still don't see what of his actions is worthy of applause. So far, all he's done is quit his job to pursue other interests and is going to be compensated well despite breaking his contract. I don't see what's admirable about that.

He didn't break his contract. If he did break the contract, he'd get nothing. Instead, he and the Bucks agreed to a buyout. Does he get a lot of money? Yes, he does. Do I wish I had that money instead? Yes, I do. But, life isn't always fair. If I lived in a world where people paid millions of dollars to touch red hair, I'd be doing really well for myself. Instead I live in a world where people pay millions to watch tall, athletic people throw balls in hoops. Such is life.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2015, 01:25:24 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
D.O.S. I typically assume your phasers are set to "lulz".

Is that fair?

If not I don't care.

Quite.  ;D
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2015, 01:28:07 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Yeah, and we all respect Larry because he said "hey, I'm gonna hang them up now because my back hurts, and you should REALLY know that I am a person". Please.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."