Author Topic: Larry Sanders...Why I quit Basketball  (Read 33817 times)

Re: Larry Sanders...Why I quit Basketball
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2015, 12:14:01 PM »

Offline e4e5sesame

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 11
I don't have a problem with the drugs.  I don't have a problem with him deciding that there are more important things in life than basketball.  But everything he's saying is kind of hollow when he hasn't had to make any sacrifices to pursue what makes him happy.

It's really easy to say that this is the best decision for his family when he gets a buyout for doing nothing at all.  How are these NBA contracts written that he's entitled to even one cent?  In any other job if you decide you don't feel like working anymore, your contract is torn up.  I wonder if he would be singing the same tune if that was the case here.

Go google 'guaranteed contracts.'

Are you going to explain the point you're trying to make or do you just want me to Google "guaranteed contracts" for no particular reason?

The term "guaranteed contact" is purely agent-speak.  It has no legal definition whatsoever.  It doesn't even have a consistent definition across the NBA.  What is called a "guaranteed contract" by the media can have any number of clauses in it which makes it anything but guaranteed.  I'm asking how they managed to write a contract which seemingly entitles one party to compensation without any tangible value going in the other direction.  This is not a valid contract under U.S. law.

All of this is to say that what must have actually happened was that Larry Sanders told them, "I don't feel like playing basketball anymore", to which they responded, "Fine, we'll just keep our money then" (which is 100% within their rights as an employer).  So Sanders came back and said, "Okay, I changed my mind.  I'll be happy to half-ass my way through a few seasons for a paycheck."  Then they negotiated a buyout.  What I'm trying to understand is why everyone seems to be so quick to profess their respect for a guy that basically just extorted millions from the Bucks?

« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2015, 12:17:17 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
He's really stuck between a "rock and a hard place."

He really seems confused, about the fact of not knowing want he wants to be when he grows up, and the the benefit/guilt of collecting millions of dollars from the Bucks while he thinks about it. He's knows he's not gonna give it back. He must actually think poorly of himself in a way.

(I know...we should all have this problem.)

It's simple, he doesn't love basketball, he just seems to not be of a competitive nature at all. Unfortunately, basketball just happens to be the thing he's most suited for.

As good a fit as this guy is for the Celtics, we should stay away from him. This will happen over and over until the money runs out. And unless he's a financial idiot, that will be a long time. Too bad.

« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2015, 12:17:17 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I don't have a problem with the drugs.  I don't have a problem with him deciding that there are more important things in life than basketball.  But everything he's saying is kind of hollow when he hasn't had to make any sacrifices to pursue what makes him happy.

It's really easy to say that this is the best decision for his family when he gets a buyout for doing nothing at all.  How are these NBA contracts written that he's entitled to even one cent?  In any other job if you decide you don't feel like working anymore, your contract is torn up.  I wonder if he would be singing the same tune if that was the case here.

Are you going to explain the point you're trying to make or do you just want me to Google "guaranteed contracts" for no particular reason?

The term "guaranteed contact" is purely agent-speak.  It has no legal definition whatsoever.  It doesn't even have a consistent definition across the NBA.  What is called a "guaranteed contract" by the media can have any number of clauses in it which makes it anything but guaranteed.  I'm asking how they managed to write a contract which seemingly entitles one party to compensation without any tangible value going in the other direction.  This is not a valid contract under U.S. law.

All of this is to say that what must have actually happened was that Larry Sanders told them, "I don't feel like playing basketball anymore", to which they responded, "Fine, we'll just keep our money then" (which is 100% within their rights as an employer).  So Sanders came back and said, "Okay, I changed my mind.  I'll be happy to half-ass my way through a few seasons for a paycheck."  Then they negotiated a buyout.  What I'm trying to understand is why everyone seems to be so quick to profess their respect for a guy that basically just extorted millions from the Bucks?

Maybe if you googled that phrase, you'd be able to find the answer to your questions and complaints, namely:

How are these NBA contracts written that he's entitled to even one cent?

I'm asking how they managed to write a contract which seemingly entitles one party to compensation without any tangible value going in the other direction.

That's information that you can easily find out on your own, instead of griping about someone you don't know involved in something you clearly don't understand.  :)

Here, I'll get you started:
http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q64
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2015, 12:19:37 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
  I don't have a problem with him deciding that there are more important things in life than basketball.

Like weed?

And you know this how?

I mean, he does specifically talk about using cannabis "for medical reasons" on the video, and I didn't remember him saying he intended to change that behavior immediately.  Which, again, is his decision.  That said, he's entered treatment facilities which I'm sure will try to work with him to find other ways to deal with his anxiety and depression than pot.

Seems like the environment or support he has had had no effect on his overall well being.

"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2015, 12:21:27 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
That's all great. But it doesn't justify being paid millions by an NBA club to NOT play basketball.

Yup....his tune would change if he had no income coming in and had to WORK for a living
And here comes the jealousy and resentment.

« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2015, 12:22:40 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
That's all great. But it doesn't justify being paid millions by an NBA club to NOT play basketball.

Yup....his tune would change if he had no income coming in and had to WORK for a living

I would rather make less than a million doing what I love, than play as a basketball player to 'entertain,' people even though I'm depressed, and unable to enjoy what I do professionally.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2015, 12:27:24 PM »

Offline e4e5sesame

• Oshae Brissett

Maybe if you googled that phrase, you'd be able to find the answer to your questions and complaints, namely:

I'm asking how they managed to write a contract which seemingly entitles one party to compensation without any tangible value going in the other direction.

That's information that you can easily find out on your own, instead of griping about someone you don't know involved in something you clearly don't understand:)

Come on, there's no need for that.  Especially when the article confirms that my understanding was pretty accurate.  The only thing I didn't account for was the inability to render services due to mental health issues.  That explains why the Bucks were left on the hook for the balance of his contract.  It also makes me even more skeptical that he actually has a mental health disorder, but I'll admit that that is complete conjecture.

« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2015, 12:30:41 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
I don't understand the anger he gets from people.  Is it just because he priorities his happiness over more wealth?? Is it because the rest of us need to work even if we are unhappy?

The key word here is MORE wealth ... He is going to earn another 14m. That makes it "a bit" easier to make this kind of decisions.

And it`s not hate against him but rather a protest to everyone else who make him some kind of hero.

« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2015, 12:30:55 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
good find.
hope all the best for him. Looks like a genuine guy, unlike how the media portrays him. There will always be a place in the league for a talent like him if he ever decides to return.
Let's recap, he signed a big fat contract last season, then figured out that he really "didn't want to be in the NBA" and wants to do "what's best for his family". As a result, he's going to collect $11 million this season and roughly $2 million per year for the next 7(!) years. Seems real "genuine" to me.
koz, honestly, you are talking out your ass here aren't you? you don't know him or his justifications or reasoning. you do have a personal take and that is what i see here. you post better stuff than this.
I don't really care about his rationalization ... or justification, if you wish. He chose to sign an NBA contract and is refusing to honor it without being physically unable to perform. You tell me one good reason why he should be entitled to any part of his salary.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2015, 12:34:13 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215

I would rather make less than a million doing what I love, than play as a basketball player to 'entertain,' people even though I'm depressed, and unable to enjoy what I do professionally.
to pass up an opportunity to at least donate that kind of money is selfish in my opinion. There are people with real problems like hunger or needing shelter that he could had donated this money to. It's just sad to see such disrespect for money.

« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2015, 12:35:43 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
And it`s not hate against him but rather a protest to everyone else who make him some kind of hero.
He would have been a hero if he made this speech last offseason after refusing to sign an extension. Or if he was telling us how he's playing through his issues. Right now, he's just a dude getting a handsome payoff to "be a person". Sorry, not sympathetic.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2015, 12:39:48 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

That's information that you can easily find out on your own, instead of griping about someone you don't know involved in something you clearly don't understand:)

Come on, there's no need for that.  Especially when the article confirms that my understanding was pretty accurate.  The only thing I didn't account for was the inability to render services due to mental health issues.  That explains why the Bucks were left on the hook for the balance of his contract.  It also makes me even more skeptical that he actually has a mental health disorder, but I'll admit that that is complete conjecture.
Fair enough -- apologies. The smile was to lighten it a little bit since things tend to read more seriously than the sound in person.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2015, 12:41:31 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
good find.
hope all the best for him. Looks like a genuine guy, unlike how the media portrays him. There will always be a place in the league for a talent like him if he ever decides to return.
Let's recap, he signed a big fat contract last season, then figured out that he really "didn't want to be in the NBA" and wants to do "what's best for his family". As a result, he's going to collect $11 million this season and roughly $2 million per year for the next 7(!) years. Seems real "genuine" to me.
koz, honestly, you are talking out your ass here aren't you? you don't know him or his justifications or reasoning. you do have a personal take and that is what i see here. you post better stuff than this.
I don't really care about his rationalization ... or justification, if you wish. He chose to sign an NBA contract and is refusing to honor it without being physically unable to perform. You tell me one good reason why he should be entitled to any part of his salary.

Mental disabilities can be just as crippling as physical ones. We have to assume that there's some kind of credence behind Sanders' claims of depression, A) because to be suspicious without cause is unbecoming and B) because the Bucks are almost certainly loathe to pay him any more money than they absolutely have to.

« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2015, 12:44:09 PM »

Offline e4e5sesame

• Oshae Brissett

Fair enough -- apologies. The smile was to lighten it a little bit since things tend to read more seriously than the sound in person.

Ah, sorry.  I thought it was a sarcastic smile.

« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2015, 12:45:32 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
He would have been a hero if he made this speech last offseason after refusing to sign an extension. Or if he was telling us how he's playing through his issues. Right now, he's just a dude getting a handsome payoff to "be a person". Sorry, not sympathetic.

while I tend to agree with Koz that Larry is having his cake & eating it too, I must admit there is part of me that smiles at the thought of a Player grifting Ownership for once...