Author Topic: Larry Sanders...Why I quit Basketball  (Read 33815 times)

Re: Larry Sanders...Why I quit Basketball
« Reply #135 on: February 26, 2015, 05:17:15 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
He's not guilty of any ethical missteps unless you'd like to argue that he should have honorably turned down the money the Bucks gave to him (and thus, again, assert that those people with depression you know would have done the same).
I'd like to argue that when you're in a position to quit your job while retaining a good part of your pay, you probably shouldn't go on video giving everyone that huge "holier than thou" speech "explaining" your decision. So yeah, I'm going to bitterly mock anything I can bitterly mock about Larry Sanders. He walked right into that one himself.

Now you are sidestepping your initial rebuttal, essentially admitting that you are indeed begrudging his decision.
Which particular part am I sidestepping, pray tell? I've essentially had two points to make in this thread:

1. The NBA system of guaranteed contracts sucks.
2. If you're Larry Sanders, you probably shouldn't be trolling for sympathy with this video.

I stand behind both of them.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #136 on: February 26, 2015, 05:28:17 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
So why begrudge someone who does have that luxury?
I'm not begrudging the decision.
You are begrudging the decision.

I'd like to argue that when you're in a position to quit your job while retaining a good part of your pay, you probably shouldn't go on video giving everyone that huge "holier than thou" speech "explaining" your decision. So yeah, I'm going to bitterly mock anything I can bitterly mock about Larry Sanders. He walked right into that one himself. So yeah, I'm going to bitterly mock anything I can bitterly mock about Larry Sanders. He walked right into that one himself.

Definition of begrudge:

to envy or resent the pleasure or good fortune of (someone)

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/begrudge

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #137 on: February 26, 2015, 05:32:44 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I don't understand the anger he gets from people.  Is it just because he priorities his happiness over more wealth?? Is it because the rest of us need to work even if we are unhappy?

The key word here is MORE wealth ... He is going to earn another 14m. That makes it "a bit" easier to make this kind of decisions.

And it`s not hate against him but rather a protest to everyone else who make him some kind of hero.

NOBODY is making this guy out to be a hero.  People here are simply giving him respect for walking away because he might have killed himself otherwise.

« Reply #138 on: February 26, 2015, 05:47:03 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Why are we critical of a decision he made that most of us would likely make if in a similar position?

I'd like to argue that when you're in a position to quit your job while retaining a good part of your pay, you probably shouldn't go on video giving everyone that huge "holier than thou" speech "explaining" your decision. So yeah, I'm going to bitterly mock anything I can bitterly mock about Larry Sanders. He walked right into that one himself. So yeah, I'm going to bitterly mock anything I can bitterly mock about Larry Sanders. He walked right into that one himself.

Definition of begrudge:

Here, fixed your original quote for you. Yes, I still think that Larry Sanders should be relentlessly mocked for making a video to tell us that he's "a person". No, that doesn't mean I have a problem with the fact that Larry Sanders was fortunate enough to be unionized in the NBPA.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #139 on: February 26, 2015, 05:49:11 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
I don't understand the anger he gets from people.  Is it just because he priorities his happiness over more wealth?? Is it because the rest of us need to work even if we are unhappy?

The key word here is MORE wealth ... He is going to earn another 14m. That makes it "a bit" easier to make this kind of decisions.

And it`s not hate against him but rather a protest to everyone else who make him some kind of hero.

NOBODY is making this guy out to be a hero.  People here are simply giving him respect for walking away because he might have killed himself otherwise.

I find it interesting that people readily assume that he might have killed himself, but summarily dismiss the notion that he may have played the system.

« Reply #140 on: February 26, 2015, 05:56:35 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
Why are we critical of a decision he made that most of us would likely make if in a similar position?

Definition of begrudge:

Here, fixed your original quote for you. Yes, I still think that Larry Sanders should be relentlessly mocked for making a video to tell us that he's "a person". No, that doesn't mean I have a problem with the fact that Larry Sanders was fortunate enough to be unionized in the NBPA.

1) The only legitimate economic critique you are making is directed at guaranteed contracts; you bridge this disdain for guaranteed contracts to Larry Sanders, understanding that he took advantage of guaranteed contracts. As you concede that his decision was a no-brainer, your contest must be rooted in jealousy. I don't know how you can be critical of a decision that you are acknowledging is economically sound. Be mad at guaranteed contracts, not Sanders.

2) The goalposts are moving a bit. Your exact quote was "I'm not begrudging his decision," but you certainly are.

« Reply #141 on: February 26, 2015, 06:06:19 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Yeah, but YOUR exact quote was different. Then again, cutting a part seems quite convenient.

I'm sure his decision to collect was a no-brainer. The decision to go public asking people to "not define him as a basketball player" and troll for sympathy, not so much. If you still don't understand this very simple concept, I don't think I can help you anymore.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 06:12:24 PM by kozlodoev »

« Reply #142 on: February 26, 2015, 06:12:25 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
The exact quote included both parts. But cutting the one that doesn't suit you is quite convenient.

I'm sure his decision to collect was a no-brainer. The decision to go public asking people to "not define him as a basketball player" and troll for sympathy, not so much. If you still don't understand this very simple concept, I don't think I can help you anymore.

That's fine. I cut the quote because it wasn't relevant to the argument I was making. I asked why you begrudged his decision, an accusation you refuted. The argument I was making was that you were begrudging his decision because you acknowledged you were mocking Sanders.

You may feel that your mocking of Sanders only has to do with his reflection of his decision, which you clearly aren't fond of. My guess is that you aren't fond of it because you're already mad at him for being lucky enough to collect a multimillion dollar check for potential he never fulfilled. That's my opinion and it's likely you aren't going to be convinced of that, so agree to disagree.

« Reply #143 on: February 26, 2015, 06:25:42 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
The exact quote included both parts. But cutting the one that doesn't suit you is quite convenient.

That's fine. I cut the quote because it wasn't relevant to the argument I was making. I asked why you begrudged his decision, an accusation you refuted. The argument I was making was that you were begrudging his decision because you acknowledged you were mocking Sanders.

You may feel that your mocking of Sanders only has to do with his reflection of his decision, which you clearly aren't fond of. My guess is that you aren't fond of it because you're already mad at him for being lucky enough to collect a multimillion dollar check for potential he never fulfilled. That's my opinion and it's likely you aren't going to be convinced of that, so agree to disagree.
We have a saying in Bulgarian, "If someone spreads a rumor that your sister is a ho, good luck proving you have no sister". Since that's exactly what you seem to be doing with this post, I'll take it as my cue to bow out of the discussion. I've already said my everything I had to say about Larry Sanders' video either way.

« Reply #144 on: February 26, 2015, 06:37:59 PM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 284
  • Bleed Green, Die Green
So why begrudge someone who does have that luxury? Why are we critical of a decision he made that most of us would likely make if in a similar position?
I'm not begrudging the decision. He's doing business the way business is being done.

What I have a problem with is him sitting there and giving everyone the whole "I'm a person, too" spiel.

You are begrudging the decision. You are bitterly mocking his luxury as if those people you know with depression wouldn't do exactly what he has done if given the opportunity. That, or, you never meant for the implications of

I sure know there are folks dealing with depression who don't have the luxury of quitting their jobs and receiving millions of dollars while they're trying to "figure it out".

to lead us to any other conclusion besides you being jealous.

Larry Sanders is good at basketball. He can't help that he could step on any city court, play a pickup game, and have professional scouts showing up to that court the next day hoping he shows up. Forgive Larry for not being able to differentiate something he enjoys from time to time from something he wants to commit the next 10-15 years of his life to in his early-to-mid-20s (known to college kids as "changing majors"). Begrudge the Bucks organization for giving a $40+ mil contract to a kid who has a history of emotional difficulty, struggle with authority, and dark upbringing (including hearing his own mother being beaten as a toddler, as someone previously detailed), if you must tightly grip onto your envy of Sanders. He's not guilty of any ethical missteps unless you'd like to argue that he should have honorably turned down the money the Bucks gave to him (and thus, again, assert that those people with depression you know would have done the same).

Nailed it. TP my friend.

« Reply #145 on: February 26, 2015, 07:30:16 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
So why begrudge someone who does have that luxury? Why are we critical of a decision he made that most of us would likely make if in a similar position?
I'm not begrudging the decision. He's doing business the way business is being done.

What I have a problem with is him sitting there and giving everyone the whole "I'm a person, too" spiel.

You are begrudging the decision. You are bitterly mocking his luxury as if those people you know with depression wouldn't do exactly what he has done if given the opportunity. That, or, you never meant for the implications of

I sure know there are folks dealing with depression who don't have the luxury of quitting their jobs and receiving millions of dollars while they're trying to "figure it out".

to lead us to any other conclusion besides you being jealous.

Larry Sanders is good at basketball. He can't help that he could step on any city court, play a pickup game, and have professional scouts showing up to that court the next day hoping he shows up. Forgive Larry for not being able to differentiate something he enjoys from time to time from something he wants to commit the next 10-15 years of his life to in his early-to-mid-20s (known to college kids as "changing majors"). Begrudge the Bucks organization for giving a $40+ mil contract to a kid who has a history of emotional difficulty, struggle with authority, and dark upbringing (including hearing his own mother being beaten as a toddler, as someone previously detailed), if you must tightly grip onto your envy of Sanders. He's not guilty of any ethical missteps unless you'd like to argue that he should have honorably turned down the money the Bucks gave to him (and thus, again, assert that those people with depression you know would have done the same).

Nailed it. TP my friend.
i agree. flex, you did a very good job this post. meaningful, insightful, compassionate.....are you sure this belongs on cb?  ;)

in any case, a tp for you.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva