Author Topic: Larry Sanders...Why I quit Basketball  (Read 33846 times)

Larry Sanders...Why I quit Basketball
« on: February 25, 2015, 11:03:28 AM »

Offline mainevent

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 203
"Mosquitoes refuse to bite me....purely out of respect"

Re: Larry Sanders...Why I quit Basketball
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 11:09:41 AM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
good find.
hope all the best for him. Looks like a genuine guy, unlike how the media portrays him. There will always be a place in the league for a talent like him if he ever decides to return.
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 11:09:59 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Glad to see he's doing what's best for himself.

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 11:19:05 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Glad to see he's doing what's best for himself.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 11:23:25 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
That's all great. But it doesn't justify being paid millions by an NBA club to NOT play basketball.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 11:25:44 AM »

Offline e4e5sesame

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 11
I don't have a problem with the drugs.  I don't have a problem with him deciding that there are more important things in life than basketball.  But everything he's saying is kind of hollow when he hasn't had to make any sacrifices to pursue what makes him happy.

It's really easy to say that this is the best decision for his family when he gets a buyout for doing nothing at all.  How are these NBA contracts written that he's entitled to even one cent?  In any other job if you decide you don't feel like working anymore, your contract is torn up.  I wonder if he would be singing the same tune if that was the case here.

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 11:26:10 AM »

Offline e4e5sesame

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 11
That's all great. But it doesn't justify being paid millions by an NBA club to NOT play basketball.

Beat me to it.

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 11:28:08 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
good find.
hope all the best for him. Looks like a genuine guy, unlike how the media portrays him. There will always be a place in the league for a talent like him if he ever decides to return.
Let's recap, he signed a big fat contract last season, then figured out that he really "didn't want to be in the NBA" and wants to do "what's best for his family". As a result, he's going to collect $11 million this season and roughly $2 million per year for the next 7(!) years. Seems real "genuine" to me.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 11:29:31 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I really do respect him for this. I would've been upset if he had just quit cause of marijuana. But people forget depression is A SERIOUS disorder! More than 4 millions in America, not even including those that aren't 'documented or surveyed due to economical/financial issues,' suffer from the harsh realities of depression.

My closest friend had gone through literally the worst things in life, and at some point had begun to lose passion/motivation to live and had hung himself.

How can people harshly criticize Sanders for decisions he made? This is his life. Not yours.

My favorite part of the video was, "I'm Larry Sanders. I'm a person."

I'm not going to lie, I wish Sanders was on our team. Because I believe our environment, our coaching staff, and Ainge could entrust and feed him the necessary help/support that he needs. But I, too, understand that at this point in his life Sanders has other priorities. People judge him, for walking away from 10+ million dollars...

There are billionaires/millionaires who hate their life, or hate the people they surround themselves with. Those who say he should die, or jump off a cliff as he said, are ignorant and unable to really understand his circumstances/perspectives. Sanders seems LIKE an very intellectual person, and I also don't like how marijuana is ostracized highly for being such a illegal substance. I understand its illegal, but it shouldn't have a big effect on a person's ability to perform a professional sport, unless their taking it heavily or during games, which at that point, I don't know what to say to that.

It takes a lot of courage to be honest with himself, and come out. I do respect him.

"I didn't even want to go to the NBA." It speaks volumes. I'm sure people or close relatives/friends probably told him this was his best decision, even though I'm sure Sanders had other aspirations/dreams in mind. Maybe he did want to play basketball, there probably was some cognitive motivation involved, but ultimately, people can change how they feel about a job.

I'm very happy for Sanders, and hope whatever ventures/prospective jobs he does in the future will fulfill him with the happiness he deserves.

And if he ever does want to come back to the NBA, hopefully Ainge is open with outstretched arms.  ;D

good find.

Let's recap, he signed a big fat contract last season, then figured out that he really "didn't want to be in the NBA" and wants to do "what's best for his family". As a result, he's going to collect $11 million this season and roughly $2 million per year for the next 7(!) years. Seems real "genuine" to me.

Its easy for you to say that right now, because you're not in his shoes. Depression can kick in any time, or it can slowly bottle up.

I don't even think Sanders cares about the money. I think his friends/family were a huge factor in his reason to re-sign. Yes, its unfair that someone can sign a contract, quit, be bought out, and be paid. But sometimes things happen.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 11:31:01 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
really sad to see him stop playing, from a fans perspective, IMO he was a great young big guy, a true rim protector. I do believe he will be back tho...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGEqWkmbxk4
that was funny :)
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 11:31:25 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
good find.

Welcome to the world of contract negotiation.

Also, he clearly gave the Bucks more value than he was paid in the first three years of his rookie contract -- otherwise they wouldn't have signed him to such a large extension.  The Bucks aren't victims.

It's also really okay to not be angry all the time at people you've never met.

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2015, 11:32:36 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
good find.

Welcome to the world of contract negotiation.

Also, he clearly gave the Bucks more value than he was paid in the first three years of his rookie contract -- otherwise they wouldn't have signed him to such a large extension.  The Bucks aren't victims.

It's also really okay to not be angry all the time at people you've never met.

This.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2015, 11:43:49 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I don't have a problem with the drugs.  I don't have a problem with him deciding that there are more important things in life than basketball.  But everything he's saying is kind of hollow when he hasn't had to make any sacrifices to pursue what makes him happy.

It's really easy to say that this is the best decision for his family when he gets a buyout for doing nothing at all.  How are these NBA contracts written that he's entitled to even one cent?  In any other job if you decide you don't feel like working anymore, your contract is torn up.  I wonder if he would be singing the same tune if that was the case here.

Go google 'guaranteed contracts.'
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2015, 11:45:53 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I will always remember Larry Sanders for this

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2015, 11:46:45 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas