Author Topic: Derrick Rose tears his right meniscus again, needs surgery.  (Read 7158 times)

Re: Derrick Rose tears his right meniscus again, needs surgery.
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2015, 12:05:41 AM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
Well, to be fair, i think most people viewed him as a ticking time bomb

Can they amnesty him? Or was his contract after the fact?
Didn't they amnesty Boozer?
Ooh, good call. They should have done that even sooner, haha

Well i suppose they could stretch his contract if they wanted
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2015, 12:08:36 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
The main thing is that the meniscus is often not a big deal.

I doubt Rose has the pain tolerance though to play through the discomfort he will feel down the line.

« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2015, 12:11:06 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Some people's legs just aren't built for the mileage that basketball puts on them. Derrick Rose and Brandon Roy had huge futures taken from them, its sad.
Roy is completely different. He had a degenerative condition. His knee was gone. Rose is just injured again. He can heal and return.
Thank you!  All that "he's done" stuff is ridiculous.  He will have this minor surgery and be right back to where he has been this season- which is a far cry from what he was a few years ago.

They will probably clear him for the playoffs and I hope he doesn't ignore them.  This might be the best chance he ever gets to win a championship.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 12:20:41 AM by moiso »

« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2015, 12:15:49 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Some people's legs just aren't built for the mileage that basketball puts on them. Derrick Rose and Brandon Roy had huge futures taken from them, its sad.
Roy is completely different. He had a degenerative condition. His knee was gone. Rose is just injured again. He can heal and return.
Thank you!  All that "he's done" stuff is ridiculous.  He will have this minor surgery and be right back to where he has been this season- which is a far cry from what he was a few years ago.

The will probably clear him for the playoffs and I hope he doesn't ignore them.  This might be the best chance he ever gets to win a championship.

He will not be cleared for the playoffs.  You're right that a meniscus tear isn't career-ending, but post-surgery recovery time for it is four months if he's an incredible healer.  He'll be back in October, and hopefully able to put these last three years behind him.

« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2015, 12:18:16 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182

The will probably clear him for the playoffs and I hope he doesn't ignore them.  This might be the best chance he ever gets to win a championship.

He will not be cleared for the playoffs.  You're right that a meniscus tear isn't career-ending, but post-surgery recovery time for it is four months if he's an incredible healer.  He'll be back in October, and hopefully able to put these last three years behind him.

Depends ENTIRELY on the extent of damage (so far, it seems to be less severe than last year's) and if he opts for a removal over a repairing.  If he gets it removed, he can return in as soon as about six weeks.

« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2015, 12:25:54 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
It looks like he will have to tone down his change of direction stuff. It is was made him elite, but his legs can't support it. Unfortunately, his other skills aren't good enough to get him to another all star game, but I don't see why he should be able to keep playing. If Amare is still around, Rose can recover from this.

Yeah, I have to agree.  This might be why Westbrook has been able to avoid injury outside of that one freak incident with Beverley: he doesn't really rely on "graceful," elusive moves.  When you're moving at that speed, you probably need to avoid bending your ligaments in unnatural directions.
Yeah, Westbrook is much more straight-line sprint.

I have never seen another player change directions at the speed Rose typically did. Rose will run near top speed, stop on a hop, and change direction 90 degrees. He doesn't do the slow euro-step change of direction.

Tim Hardaway used to do that before his knee injury, when his crossover was the best in the business.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2015, 12:30:23 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
This is sad news. Wish him the best!

As far as coming back, I don't doubt that he will. I think what I would be thinking "is it worth it?" Every time he plays he seems to come out with an injury, even minor things. I know people will preach not giving up but I think you can ALWAYS do something else... don't give up on life but choose a different path. It took him a long time to make it back last time because he said something along the lines of caring more about long term health rather than basketball. He's made a fortune, maybe he should try something else or at least take a few years off.

I can't imagine how Kobe's body will feel a few years after retirement, ooh wee, he's going to be in for hell as he gets older.

No matter what he does, I wish him the best. I wouldn't wish this on anyone.   
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2015, 03:22:08 AM »

Offline krumeto

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
A terrible news. Sad to see another talent wasted due to injuries.

I feel bad for Thibs too. I still have warm feelings for him for 2008. Wished he had at least one shot at the title.
"We do so many defensive drills in practice, I come home and I'm putting the press on my woman, denying her the ball.
Y'all are laughing, but it's sad. I go home and deny the wing."

« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2015, 03:33:09 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Career down the toilet due to injuries. Fwiw, d-rose is probably the most overrated MVP in league history.  He was good, but never an MVP level player. 

What a frustrating career, though.

« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2015, 04:12:23 AM »

Offline 255 Rings

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 10
If Rose really feels like he can't maintain his body through the grueling 82 regular season plus the extra playoff rounds then maybe he should just seek a buy-out and have the Bulls spend that money on another solid PG seeing as the league can't have too many at that position. They have a pretty legit team that can make some playoff noise (maybe 2nd round exits), but with the uncertainty of the NBA one player from another team can get injured again thus giving you a chance to beat them. Sucks for Rose but I knew when I watched him play and saw the reckless floaters and explosive body movements that it was a matter of time he would start breaking down. Add Thibs' tough grinding coaching where he gasses you out and you're prone to tear something in your body. Bulls better do something in the off-season or they'll be stuck in a title drought; one much longer than the one we had to go through.

« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2015, 05:49:45 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
like welker this dude should retire.

« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2015, 05:52:47 AM »

Offline tyrone biggums

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
like welker this dude should retire.

Nothing Iike Welker. Rose came into this season bulkier and I think that combined with the way he shoots causes the injuries. He really needs to be traded to Phoenix at this point. That medical staff can save his career and bring him back to being one of the best. Welker on the other hand I would be stunned if he can add 1 + 1 anymore.

« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2015, 09:21:58 AM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
I feel so bad for Derrick Rose. It's so sad....
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2015, 09:29:02 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
If Rose really feels like he can't maintain his body through the grueling 82 regular season plus the extra playoff rounds then maybe he should just seek a buy-out and have the Bulls spend that money on another solid PG seeing as the league can't have too many at that position.

Rose has said that he wanted to be able to sit comfortably in business meetings after his career when explaining why he takes so long to recover.  He's not giving up any money.

The Bulls wish Rose had the toughness of Jermaine O'Neal.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2015, 10:36:32 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Depends ENTIRELY on the extent of damage (so far, it seems to be less severe than last year's) and if he opts for a removal over a repairing.  If he gets it removed, he can return in as soon as about six weeks.

He's not going to get it removed.  He was declared to be done for the season because it was getting repaired -- he's done for the year.  Hopefully this is the last time we hear "Derrick Rose" and "knee" in the same sentence.