Author Topic: Derrick Rose tears his right meniscus again, needs surgery.  (Read 7174 times)

Re: Derrick Rose tears his right meniscus again, needs surgery.
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2015, 11:13:08 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Will he hang them up? Unbelievably sad.........

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2015, 11:14:01 PM »

Offline jonaslopes

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
He is done. This is so sad.
It's nice seeing him get exposed as overrated after having argued with fellow fans for years that he was overrated.. but I don't hate him. I'm looking forward to seeing him [...] bounce around to a couple more teams... eventually come back to Boston[...] and helps us as a role player until he runs himself out of the league.
LarBrd33 on Rondo

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2015, 11:20:27 PM »

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119
I hope he proves me and the majority of us wrong, but count me in in the camp who thinks he should seriously consider hanging it up.  If it wasn't clear before, it's certainly clear now that his knees just can't handle the day to day grind of the NBA game.

The Brandon Roy comparison I saw earlier in this thread is a great comparison.

The conversation should now shift to the Bulls, and how they need to totally start over from the point guard position.  I guess if there's ANY silver lining to this, it's that Thibs is a great coach and they still have an above-average roster even without Rose.  So this will go one of two ways...

1.) They sign Thibs to a new contract, tweak the roster in the offseason, and gear more towards building around Butler and Noah while distancing themselves from Rose

OR

2.) With constant rumblings about the relationship between Thibs and the front office, they bring in a new coach, blow it up, and start the rebuilding process...while also distancing themselves from Rose.

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2015, 11:26:12 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
I hope he proves me and the majority of us wrong, but count me in in the camp who thinks he should seriously consider hanging it up.  If it wasn't clear before, it's certainly clear now that his knees just can't handle the day to day grind of the NBA game.

The Brandon Roy comparison I saw earlier in this thread is a great comparison.

The conversation should now shift to the Bulls, and how they need to totally start over from the point guard position.  I guess if there's ANY silver lining to this, it's that Thibs is a great coach and they still have an above-average roster even without Rose.  So this will go one of two ways...

1.) They sign Thibs to a new contract, tweak the roster in the offseason, and gear more towards building around Butler and Noah while distancing themselves from Rose

OR

2.) With constant rumblings about the relationship between Thibs and the front office, they bring in a new coach, blow it up, and start the rebuilding process...while also distancing themselves from Rose.

From the tanking debate, take Rose off the Bulls and they are the definition of NBA hell.  Too good to get a high draft pick.  Not good enough to have any chance at a title. 

Mike

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2015, 11:30:40 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
It's possible that this is another Eric Bledsoe situation, in which case Rose would (should?) probably opt to remove his meniscus.  That'd allow him to return theoretically during the postseason... or even later this season.

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2015, 11:31:37 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
It looks like he will have to tone down his change of direction stuff. It is was made him elite, but his legs can't support it. Unfortunately, his other skills aren't good enough to get him to another all star game, but I don't see why he should be able to keep playing. If Amare is still around, Rose can recover from this.

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2015, 11:33:06 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
Some people's legs just aren't built for the mileage that basketball puts on them. Derrick Rose and Brandon Roy had huge futures taken from them, its sad.
Roy is completely different. He had a degenerative condition. His knee was gone. Rose is just injured again. He can heal and return.

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2015, 11:37:47 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2929
He'll never be more than an average player again, just too much damage to his body. Sad story. Always liked DRose, even though he was the prototypical "dumb athlete" type, just nicer.

I wonder what this means for Butler's upcoming contract and players like Noah and Gibson.  Knowing Rose is pretty much going to have these issues the rest of his career, I bet the Bulls owner might be even more hesistant to pay Butler the max this offseason. I don't think they blow it all up, but I'm not sure he'll pay Butler that much money knowing he has dead money in Rose just sitting there.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 11:49:59 PM by jpotter33 »

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2015, 11:48:46 PM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
Really is a shame. I loved this kids attitude and the way he did play. He was amazing in that Bulls/Celts playoff series, Rondo versus Rose. Unbelievably quick off his feet, and could get by anyone. 

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2015, 11:49:36 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
It looks like he will have to tone down his change of direction stuff. It is was made him elite, but his legs can't support it. Unfortunately, his other skills aren't good enough to get him to another all star game, but I don't see why he should be able to keep playing. If Amare is still around, Rose can recover from this.

Yeah, I have to agree.  This might be why Westbrook has been able to avoid injury outside of that one freak incident with Beverley: he doesn't really rely on "graceful," elusive moves.  When you're moving at that speed, you probably need to avoid bending your ligaments in unnatural directions.

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2015, 11:51:29 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2929

Yeah, I have to agree.  This might be why Westbrook has been able to avoid injury outside of that one freak incident with Beverley: he doesn't really rely on "graceful," elusive moves.  When you're moving at that speed, you probably need to avoid bending your ligaments in unnatural directions.
Westbrook is also just a physical specimen and freak. He had literally never missed a game in all of his days of playing before that Beverley play.

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2015, 11:55:11 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders

Yeah, Westbrook is much more straight-line sprint.

I have never seen another player change directions at the speed Rose typically did. Rose will run near top speed, stop on a hop, and change direction 90 degrees. He doesn't do the slow euro-step change of direction.

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2015, 11:57:43 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
From the tanking debate, take Rose off the Bulls and they are the definition of NBA hell.  Too good to get a high draft pick.  Not good enough to have any chance at a title. 

Take DLose and his contract off the Bulls and they might be able to sign a max free agent before re-signing Jimmy Butler, since Butler should have a relatively small cap hold.  Then they have all their future firsts and an extra one from Sacramento to improve the team.

They have a roster that is good enough to have a shot at winning 50 games without Rose.  Rose hasn't been a good player the past two seasons.  Arguably, they're a better team if they lose Rose and bring back Nate Robinson to fill his spot.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2015, 11:58:32 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
Well, to be fair, i think most people viewed him as a ticking time bomb

Can they amnesty him? Or was his contract after the fact?

P.S. I hope that when everyone looks back on bron bron's career they remember how easy it was EVERY YEAR to make it to the finals

The bulls should have been challenging him year in and year out. Tis a crying shame for bron haters like me
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2015, 12:01:42 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
Well, to be fair, i think most people viewed him as a ticking time bomb

Can they amnesty him? Or was his contract after the fact?
Didn't they amnesty Boozer?