Author Topic: Welp, here we go...Rondo and Carlisle going at each other  (Read 59515 times)

Re: Welp, here we go...Rondo and Carlisle going at each other
« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2015, 07:49:46 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
lol.

Man. I knew rondo would get exposed in Dallas, but this is above and beyond what I anticipated. He's been a disaster there.

I still think rondo has game, though. He just needs to sign with a team this offseason that is willing to give him complete control of the ball so he can rack up assists again.  His per36 numbers in Boston this season were surprisingly the best of his career.  12.2 assists, 8.5 rebounds and 1.9 steals.  He can still be a very good statistical player in this league. He just needs a system to adhere to his strengths and weaknesses.  Predictably that's not happening in Dallas.  Hilarious stuff.

My guess:  someone (not Dallas) overpays rondo this offseason with the intention of giving him the keys to run the offense how he sees fit.  It will fail to produce a winner, but rondo will be back to dropping 10+ assists.

I think the question is: will that team win many games? Considering he's likely to get that deal from either the Knicks or Lakers, and their star players are over the hill / like the ball in THEIR hands, I think it's doubtful.

In other words, if Rondo is your 'star', you're a blow average team in the NBA.

Tell that to the 2009-10 Boston Celtics, especially after we dispatched CLE from the playoffs.........

I don't think the team that met the LA Lakers in the finals that year was "BELOW AVERAGE"........
Tell that to the 2014 Celtics.  Rondo isn't the guy from 2009 anymore, even though you seem to think he is.

« Reply #61 on: February 25, 2015, 07:58:16 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
lol.

Man. I knew rondo would get exposed in Dallas, but this is above and beyond what I anticipated. He's been a disaster there.

I still think rondo has game, though. He just needs to sign with a team this offseason that is willing to give him complete control of the ball so he can rack up assists again.  His per36 numbers in Boston this season were surprisingly the best of his career.  12.2 assists, 8.5 rebounds and 1.9 steals.  He can still be a very good statistical player in this league. He just needs a system to adhere to his strengths and weaknesses.  Predictably that's not happening in Dallas.  Hilarious stuff.

My guess:  someone (not Dallas) overpays rondo this offseason with the intention of giving him the keys to run the offense how he sees fit.  It will fail to produce a winner, but rondo will be back to dropping 10+ assists.

I think the question is: will that team win many games? Considering he's likely to get that deal from either the Knicks or Lakers, and their star players are over the hill / like the ball in THEIR hands, I think it's doubtful.

Tell that to the 2009-10 Boston Celtics, especially after we dispatched CLE from the playoffs.........

I don't think the team that met the LA Lakers in the finals that year was "BELOW AVERAGE"........
Tell that to the 2014 Celtics.  Rondo isn't the guy from 2009 anymore, even though you seem to think he is.

You're right...this is the 2014 Celtics.

Rajon (and Jeff) aren't here anymore and for that I'm glad.

They've both moved on to better places while our new guys try to establish themselves.

Rondo (and Jeff) will be competing for playoff spots while we struggle (and hope) for a high draft pick.

Rinse and repeat for next few years.

« Reply #62 on: February 25, 2015, 08:06:22 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
What is amazing is that no one called Rondo out before.

Doc didn't have the balls.
Maybe Doc just told Rondo to be himself and not worry about defense because when you are working on offense you are working on defense

« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2015, 08:08:15 AM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93

Maybe Doc just told Rondo to be himself and not worry about defense because when you are working on offense you are working on defense
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1CHXU_enUS563US563&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=doc%20rivers%20call%20out%20rondo

The one guy who gets more undeserved hate on this forum than anyone is Doc.
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #64 on: February 25, 2015, 08:08:37 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

Doc NEVER called Rondo out?? I think you may have that wrong, wasn't that the main reason for them butting heads earlier.
You are correct. He is wrong.

The narrative here was always that Doc was especially hard on Rondo because Doc was a PG. I'm not sure how he doesn't remember that.

Because I watched the games.

Rondo got away with murder.
Making Doc look like an NBA coach is definitely a hard thing to get away with but Rondo managed.

« Reply #65 on: February 25, 2015, 08:11:23 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Had a Rondo stayed in Boston .  His value could have dropped further .  Just one bad episode like this in the media with DA or CBS could have hurt his trade value.

Danny was working with a hot potato ,  moody person that could cause trouble any minute ...if things don't go to,suit him 100% .

I'd say now , the Celtics dodged a bullet that could have left them with little or no asset rerturn for Rondo.

So letting him go ASAP might have been a good plan after all.

Rondo can still play ,  we saw he has skills ,   But he doesn't seem committed to basketball like he was in the glory days .

Carlisle is the type of guy .....there is only ONE captain of the ship .....Rondo needs to get used to that idea.....Doc was excellent baby sitter .....one of the best appeasers ever , hand holders , yes men to his stars .....ever .

Rondo is forever spoiled .      He won't survive there....he'll go to Knicks or Lakers.

« Reply #66 on: February 25, 2015, 08:38:55 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
Wow, this is becoming a train wreck for Rondo in Dallas.  Some things that seem to be clear:

• Rondo is not a good as he seems to think
  • Rondo may not be a committed to basketball as he was in the past
  • Rondo is in a funk mentally and is not playing up to even his actual ability, much less his own opinion of his ability

I wonder if KG and Pierce had more impact on keeping Rondo under control than has been thought.  He thinks he is smarter than the coach now and in the past but now I doubt that Nowitzki or Chandler can influence Rondo like I suspect PP and especially KG could.

Rondo needs to find himself and find himself fast.  At this point, I don't think he is going to be a very hot FA commodity unless he  turns it around and starts to play well, fit in, and help the Mavs.

« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2015, 08:40:47 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
Rondo/Chicgo,  possible fit?
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #68 on: February 25, 2015, 08:44:28 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568

How could CHI make that work under the cap?
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #69 on: February 25, 2015, 08:48:30 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
If not Dallas I bet teams that are desperate like the Knicks or Lakers will throw big money at him.  With seemingly Dragic and Jackson off the board this summer, it's less point guards for teams to bid on.   

Glad we got Thomas so we have that covered.

« Reply #70 on: February 25, 2015, 08:53:33 AM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
nothing really to see here, Rondo is a jerk.  We all knew that already.  He has had issues playing for Tubby Smith, Doc and Rick....He has zero respect for authority, he literally has zero respect for anyone outside of Kevin Garnett it seems.  Glad he is Dallas's problem because the headaches out weigh his production....

« Reply #71 on: February 25, 2015, 09:06:32 AM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
Just lol.

How's that B+/A- grade for the Mavs looking now?
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #72 on: February 25, 2015, 09:15:59 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 538
What's not really talked about is the NBA is much more of a 3 point shooting league than it was when RR was in his prime.  Take away one 'small' who can hit the 3 these days and your team is at a disadvantage.  So I think that when people say the market for Rondo has diminished, it really is true.  He needs to find the right situation, but I'm not so sure it's going to exist - apart from maybe the Knicks or Lakers - teams that have so little talent, he'd be a huge upgrade.  Not sure his ego can handle a losing situation, even if he's getting paid.

This incident with Carlisle certainly isn't going to help his market value either.

« Reply #73 on: February 25, 2015, 09:18:03 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176

How could CHI make that work under the cap?

Shouldn't be a problem; you can always sign players to vet-minimum deals.  ;)

Rondo's implosion is just staggering.  I mean, all the talk about how he'd grown up in recent years, you kind of had the sense at the time that it was nonsense but now it seems pretty clear that it was.  He had the opportunity here in Boston to really make it his team, to take a group of young guys and really to be that leader that they needed, and he just half-assed it.  Just went gunning for assists and steals, didn't give any effort defensively.  It's like everything that Pierce and KG had ever said about professionalism just went in one ear and out the other.

And now, he was traded to about as good of a situation as he could have asked for, and it's proving to be a complete disaster.

I think he ends up in LA, but really - at what kind of money?  How on earth would you ever commit more than a couple of years to this guy?

Rondo still seems to think he's a superstar... and it's now obvious that all of the things people said about him coming out of college - both attitude-wise and basketball-wise - all those weaknesses that caused him to drop so far in the draft, he's no better today than he was when he was drafted.  It's the same [dang] issues.

Dude could have been a $100M man this offseason; instead, he's playing like a guy who'll get a third of that. 

« Reply #74 on: February 25, 2015, 10:00:33 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
lol.

Typical homer post. Leaving aside the fact that Rondo wasn't the star of that team, unless you have a time machine to sell Rondo's next team, what happened 5 seasons in the past isn't going to do a whole lot for ya.

Well, for Rondo to have not been the star of that team we sure wouldn't gotten past CLE without him, lol.

It's well know around these parts that Rajon performed admirably that post-season - perhaps as well as our other stars.

And yeah - I'm an Unashamed Rajon Rondo Homer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9D95FNo24s

Those days are gone. He's not the player he once was, and more critically his attitude has rendered him damaged goods to NBA teams who are smart enough to understand the team trumps the individual.

So I stand by the above. If Rondo's gonna get his money, he'll likely have to go to a bad team, and is unlikely to improve that team very much, if at all. But he'll still likely do just that, because that chip is more firmly on his shoulder than it's ever been. He wants to call the shots. He wants to dictate when he plays hard, and when he doesn't. He cares more about his ego than winning.

Look at what happened in the game this thread refers to. Rondo gets yanked <> Mavs come back and win the game. This is a microcosm of his Dallas experience thus far. The league's 4th leading passer is hurting his team's offense. He's not winning them games. His place in the 4th quarter rotation is questionable at best, like it was with the Cs.

As for what's well known around these parts, I joined the blog in 2006. I just don't confuse history with reality.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 10:08:32 AM by ssspence »
Mike

(My name is not Mike)