Author Topic: Welp, here we go...Rondo and Carlisle going at each other  (Read 59544 times)

Re: Welp, here we go...Rondo and Carlisle going at each other
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2015, 01:32:52 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
I would assume he is just frustrated in going to a team that runs 3 point guard sets with over the hill bigs and plays ole defense.

I watched the whole game being stuck in Raptors land Canada and he is far from 100%. He's clearly annoyed, we've all seen it too many times.

Poor guy was bred into winning, it will probably take a decade to get some true perspective being he is so stubborn.
You give him too much credit.

Rondo is always annoyed with other people. There is that well known story about Doc telling Rondo during his rookie season that guys hated playing with him because he was always annoyed with them.

Rondo thinks he always knows the right play and makes the right pass and is annoyed when others aren't on the same page or if they disagree. Dude is a difficult person and it is risky to hitch your wagon to him.

I also remember something about Doc (someone) saying RR did always know the right play so that made it worse lol. That RR was always well ahead of everyone else and he would get mad at people not seeing things as quickly as he does.

I do think his skills have diminished some but he hasn't come to terms with that. I also think he is still a very good player. Its like Kobe, who is going to stop him from trying to be what he has been in the past? No one. You just have to wait until he retires. Guys who have been at the top have a hard time accepting that they aren't that great anymore. Unlike Grandpa Kobe, maybe RR still has time to get back to the top of his abilities, he's only 29.

Good luck RR, I wish you the best.

Small rant:
I really don't care anymore, I just worry about Celtics players. I like/dislike a lot of players around the league but I don't care enough to constantly bash or prop them up on CB. I guess "you" do have to keep making new threads about RR (others) to get people to read them but I just wish a lot more would be merged.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2015, 01:36:37 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I would assume he is just frustrated in going to a team that runs 3 point guard sets with over the hill bigs and plays ole defense.

I watched the whole game being stuck in Raptors land Canada and he is far from 100%. He's clearly annoyed, we've all seen it too many times.

Poor guy was bred into winning, it will probably take a decade to get some true perspective being he is so stubborn.

Rondo is always annoyed with other people. There is that well known story about Doc telling Rondo during his rookie season that guys hated playing with him because he was always annoyed with them.

Rondo thinks he always knows the right play and makes the right pass and is annoyed when others aren't on the same page or if they disagree. Dude is a difficult person and it is risky to hitch your wagon to him.

The other half of that rookie season story? Rondo coming back a few days later and asking Doc how he could be better.
That doesn't change the problem he has with patience for other people. He may understand his flaw and want to improve, just like the guy who earnestly wants to stop beating his wife. But then a tense moment comes up.

Dude is difficult and stubborn. That can work when he is a dominant player. Now that he might not be better than replacement and can no longer impose his will on a game, it can be trickier.

« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2015, 01:53:20 AM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221

I also remember something about Doc (someone) saying RR did always know the right play so that made it worse lol. That RR was always well ahead of everyone else and he would get mad at people not seeing things as quickly as he does.

I do think his skills have diminished some but he hasn't come to terms with that. I also think he is still a very good player. Its like Kobe, who is going to stop him from trying to be what he has been in the past? No one. You just have to wait until he retires. Guys who have been at the top have a hard time accepting that they aren't that great anymore. Unlike Grandpa Kobe, maybe RR still has time to get back to the top of his abilities, he's only 29.

Good luck RR, I wish you the best.

Small rant:
I really don't care anymore, I just worry about Celtics players. I like/dislike a lot of players around the league but I don't care enough to constantly bash or prop them up on CB. I guess "you" do have to keep making new threads about RR (others) to get people to read them but I just wish a lot more would be merged.

Thank you! I wish we'd stop having so many threads about Rondo especially when it's to bash him...we don't have to talk about him at all..he's not our worry.

« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2015, 02:08:53 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!

The other half of that rookie season story? Rondo coming back a few days later and asking Doc how he could be better.
That doesn't change the problem he has with patience for other people. He may understand his flaw and want to improve, just like the guy who earnestly wants to stop beating his wife. But then a tense moment comes up.

Dude is difficult and stubborn. That can work when he is a dominant player. Now that he might not be better than replacement and can no longer impose his will on a game, it can be trickier.

Really? We're comparing Rondo with Sull--err-- a woman beater now?

Your point is that he's difficult and stubborn but the story you mentioned highlighted the fact that he's also willing to ask for help. Maybe pick a better example next time? But what does  it matter? You're either pro-Rondo or anti-Rondo. Neither side seems willing to budge and he's not even on the team anymore.

*waits for the next 10 page thread about Rondo to pop up*
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2015, 02:13:14 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Well, it is a story considering he didn't play a single second following the incident.

Rondo post-game-
"We won. Discuss it with Rick," was all he would say.

« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2015, 02:52:38 AM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
http://www.reddit.com/r/Mavericks/comments/2x2kim/rondo_and_carlisle_have_heated_exchange_in/cowegzo

This doesn't sound too good.  It would be a real shame if their team imploded and they fell to the 8th pick next year

« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2015, 03:26:10 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
lol.

Man. I knew rondo would get exposed in Dallas, but this is above and beyond what I anticipated. He's been a disaster there.

I still think rondo has game, though. He just needs to sign with a team this offseason that is willing to give him complete control of the ball so he can rack up assists again.  His per36 numbers in Boston this season were surprisingly the best of his career.  12.2 assists, 8.5 rebounds and 1.9 steals.  He can still be a very good statistical player in this league. He just needs a system to adhere to his strengths and weaknesses.  Predictably that's not happening in Dallas.  Hilarious stuff.

My guess:  someone (not Dallas) overpays rondo this offseason with the intention of giving him the keys to run the offense how he sees fit.  It will fail to produce a winner, but rondo will be back to dropping 10+ assists.

« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2015, 03:52:19 AM »

Offline 255 Rings

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 10
Still talking about this malcontent diva? Dude hasn't been good since the 2012 ECF and since then has gotten injured and with that all his skills went to crap. Mostly because of his dismissal to improve his game. I saw no major leap in his skillset and knew eventually he was gonna get sent out of here. Ainge's only flaw is giving him too much time to prove to us all that he was a poor leader and an average player as the face of a franchise. Let him walk and cripple Dallas in the offseason, pick protected or not we can benefit from him ditching the Mavs and stinking up another dumpster team like the Lakers, who are a joy to watch imploding after years of bragging and muscle flexing.

« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2015, 04:17:02 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Dallas had gotten way better on both ends with Rondo. Anyone following them knows this.
He's struggling with the pick and roll overload in Dallas but he's getting there.

Their record before the trade against the west top 8: 1 Win, 7 losses

Record after the trade against the west top 8: 4 Wins, 4 losses

Defensive numbers have also improved significantly, we're actually the 2nd best defensive team over the last 12 games or so.

Rondo plays a major part in all that, even if there are indeed some growing pains & offensive struggles. But offense is only one half of the game...
Looking at their record against elite teams & their defensive numbers from before the trade. Both have been horrible. Since the Rondo-trade they are simply light years better in both regards & ten times closer to being a contender. It's that obvious, and the Mavs fanbase will concur that they really weren't headed anywhere with the Nelson/Elllis-backcourt.

A major midseason PG-trade is pretty much the biggest change any team can make & will likely cause some growing pains. Even for a good PG like Rondo.

Btw: there are a ton of similarities to the Kidd-trade. We struggled majorly after acquiring him back in the day, too.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2015, 06:24:55 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
And, a couple of months from now, this will all be forgotten.

Dallas will still be playing, into May and June, and facing either MEM or perhaps GSW in the WCF.

Coach Carlylse and Rondo would've settled their differences and moved on well after then.

Even though Dirk and Tyson are a bit older, that team, especially with Amare onboard, still has the experience and talent to go deep.

And Rajon, much to the chagrin of his haters - will be a BIG part of it.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 06:30:26 AM by GreenFaith1819 »

« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2015, 06:28:12 AM »

Offline GranTur

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 68
  • Anti-NBA Hipster
I swear I'm in 2009 with some of these posts...

Rondo is...
  • ...dealing with an achilles injury.
  • ...recovering from a broken face.
  • ...playing with a guard he doesn't fit with.
  • ...blessed with a really bad bench.
  • ...trying to get over his mental block with FT.
  • ...still learning how to play post-surgery.

Things happen. Is this a memorable moment? Yes. Is it a big deal? No.
"It's not how you play the game. It's whether you win or lose--that's my motto." -Larry Bird

« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2015, 07:24:20 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
lol.

Man. I knew rondo would get exposed in Dallas, but this is above and beyond what I anticipated. He's been a disaster there.

I still think rondo has game, though. He just needs to sign with a team this offseason that is willing to give him complete control of the ball so he can rack up assists again.  His per36 numbers in Boston this season were surprisingly the best of his career.  12.2 assists, 8.5 rebounds and 1.9 steals.  He can still be a very good statistical player in this league. He just needs a system to adhere to his strengths and weaknesses.  Predictably that's not happening in Dallas.  Hilarious stuff.

My guess:  someone (not Dallas) overpays rondo this offseason with the intention of giving him the keys to run the offense how he sees fit.  It will fail to produce a winner, but rondo will be back to dropping 10+ assists.

I think the question is: will that team win many games? Considering he's likely to get that deal from either the Knicks or Lakers, and their star players are over the hill / like the ball in THEIR hands, I think it's doubtful.

In other words, if Rondo is your 'star', you're a blow average team in the NBA.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2015, 07:31:25 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
lol.

I think the question is: will that team win many games? Considering he's likely to get that deal from either the Knicks or Lakers, and their star players are over the hill / like the ball in THEIR hands, I think it's doubtful.

Tell that to the 2009-10 Boston Celtics, especially after we dispatched CLE from the playoffs.........

I don't think the team that met the LA Lakers in the finals that year was "BELOW AVERAGE"........

« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2015, 07:44:07 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
lol.

Tell that to the 2009-10 Boston Celtics, especially after we dispatched CLE from the playoffs.........

I don't think the team that met the LA Lakers in the finals that year was "BELOW AVERAGE"........

Typical homer post. Leaving aside the fact that Rondo wasn't the star of that team, unless you have a time machine to sell Rondo's next team, what happened 5 seasons in the past isn't going to do a whole lot for ya.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2015, 07:49:05 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
lol.

Typical homer post. Leaving aside the fact that Rondo wasn't the star of that team, unless you have a time machine to sell Rondo's next team, what happened 5 seasons in the past isn't going to do a whole lot for ya.

Well, for Rondo to have not been the star of that team we sure wouldn't gotten past CLE without him, lol.

It's well know around these parts that Rajon performed admirably that post-season - perhaps as well as our other stars.

And yeah - I'm an Unashamed Rajon Rondo Homer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9D95FNo24s