Author Topic: Question for old-timers  (Read 2136 times)

Question for old-timers
« on: February 24, 2015, 02:13:36 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
Most of us remember that brilliant trade that brought the C's McHale (#3 pick) and Parrish for the #1 pick (Joe Barely Cares) and #13 pick in 1980, but does anybody know how the C's got that #1 pick?  They lost in the ECF to Philly in 1980, so clearly it was via a trade.

I just find it crazy how NBA GMs had no clue about the value of draft picks back then, and also didn't invent the concept of lottery protection in trades a few short years later when the C's traded Gerald Henderson to Seattle for what ended up being the #2 pick in 1986 (Len Bias ... tragedy).

Anyway, TP for anyone who knows this answer.

Re: Question for old-timers
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 02:19:39 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Most of us remember that brilliant trade that brought the C's McHale (#3 pick) and Parrish for the #1 pick (Joe Barely Cares) and #13 pick in 1980, but does anybody know how the C's got that #1 pick?  They lost in the ECF to Philly in 1980, so clearly it was via a trade.

I just find it crazy how NBA GMs had no clue about the value of draft picks back then, and also didn't invent the concept of lottery protection in trades a few short years later when the C's traded Gerald Henderson to Seattle for what ended up being the #2 pick in 1986 (Len Bias ... tragedy).

Anyway, TP for anyone who knows this answer.

Here's a handy database:

http://www.prosportstransactions.com/basketball/Search/Search.php

To answer your question, looks like the Celtics traded Bob McAdoo to the Pistons for those #1 and #13 picks. [That was a little bit before my time, so I don't have direct memory of the trade, which apparently had something to do with the Celtics signing ML Carr away from the Pistons.]
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 02:31:56 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
Awesome, thx. TP

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 06:52:07 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Getting M.L. Carr and two #1 picks for Bob McAdoo sounds like a steal in hindsight -- and it certainly is a steal, based upon what those picks were turned into -- but at the time McAdoo seemed to be worth that price.  He was a 20 ppg scorer, and the Celtics had just actually traded three first rounders for him (3rd, 9th, and 21st overall in 1979.)

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 11:23:06 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
The other layer to this is that the trade was made by Dick Vitale.  Dickie V was lost as an NBA coach. And he certainly wasn't smart enough to make a deal with Red Auerbach.