Author Topic: Avery Bradley - lets give some credit where it's due  (Read 12562 times)

Re: Avery Bradley - lets give some credit where it's due
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2015, 07:26:45 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
Wow, a positive AB thread? Does that mean we can finally stop with the "Bradley is overpaid" nonsense?

He is still overpaid .....just less than before is all.

He'll be underpaid when its all said and done

« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2015, 08:44:08 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I like the comparisons to Joe Dumars.  Dumars was stronger and better but the similarity is that Bradley can be a very effective combo guard.  We are seeing ball handling and passing improvement.  If he continues to improve a little bit more, he can be a legitimate weapon as an offensive minded PG.  I see more upside in that role than as a SG.  He may not realize the PG upside (may not have the chance on the Celtics due to Smart and Thomas), he still has to improve, but he is still progressing.
Let's not get ahead of ourselves. The problem with Bradley was (and is) that he couldn't be trusted to do anything with the ball in his hands other than take up to one step and shoot it. When he was playing well for us, it was because (a) he wasn't TRYING to do anything else, and (b) the shots were falling.

He may be a useful player in this league for a while, but let's face it -- he telegraphs (or throws away) passes, can't finish around the rim unless he's wide open, and can't get to the free throw line. And that makes him a very limited player offensively.
It is easy to throw cold Gatorade on the Bradley talk and there is certainly no guarantee that he will continue to improve.  I think the mental part of the game, or more specifically, the emotional part of the game is hard for him.  When he first got to the NBA, all he could do was defend.  Then he got comfortable doing just a couple of things, cutting and knocking down shots.  It took a while but now he can do those things without thinking about it which allows him to start thinking about the next aspect of his game, meaning the other four teammates.

This is all coming slowly but surely for him.  I get the sense that he can only handle one new thing at a time.  The next new thing is going to be better passing.  I don't think he will ever be a great dribbler but good enough.  I also don't think he has the size to be a top tier SG or a consistent 20 ppg guy.

Being a PG is more than just getting assists.  He will never be a dribble around and look for assists type of PG.  He is already a better shooter and defender than a lot of PGs, he just needs to become a solid passer and dribble well enough to work the pick and roll and I think he will be a tough match up at PG.

« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2015, 09:33:35 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
He's been playing well lately.

I care less about the point totals and shooting percentages than I do about the other stuff he's been doing.  Bradley has been a streaky shooter / scorer since his second season in the league, when he first assumed a significant role with the team.

The issue with Bradley has always been that his non-scoring production is too often negligible, and his scoring is only really above average for stretches here and there.

Perhaps he is finally coming into his own.  Let's give it another month or two, though.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2015, 09:43:27 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
Wow, a positive AB thread? Does that mean we can finally stop with the "Bradley is overpaid" nonsense?

The Avery Bradley we've had all year is worth right about where he's getting paid, especially considering the future of the cap and the length of his deal. The player we've seen the past month or so is worth more than that. Alas, even though I like ABs potential, he probably won't be able to keep putting up 20+PTS and 5+STLs games all the time. That would make him a top 5 SG in the league. But you don't pay star players who are top 5 at their position 8 million dollars do you?

By the time the season after next rolls around, Bradley's contract is going to look like a huge steal for whoever has him then, be it us or someone else. Sure, his contract isn't the same value as someone like IT's, but very few peoples are. He's fair value right now, and will be good value when his contacts coming to a close.

« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2015, 09:55:26 PM »

Offline Adelaide Celt

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 206
Given the trades of Green and Rondo plus Sullinger's injury, Bradley would have to be a certainty for this season's Celtics MVP.
NO AMOUNT OF PSYCHOLOGICAL MANIPULATION, HORMONAL OR SURGICAL MUTILATION WILL EVER CHANGE A PERSON'S GENDER

« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2015, 09:49:56 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Just saw this tweeted and though interesting:

"Ainge loves Bradley and has already answered the question of whether he thinks the 24-year-old will be in Boston when the Celtics rise again: Multiple teams offered low first-round picks and expiring contracts for Bradley at the trade deadline, and Ainge flatly refused, per several league sources.

Source: Grantland"

- See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors/r/5P2B/celtics-passed-on-avery-bradley-deals#sthash.dplpdz5x.jRSQp8Nd.dpuf
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2015, 10:05:10 AM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
Without Avery Bradley we are not where near the playoffs. Who would have thought we'd be talking about last summer? Everyone was upset with the deal Avery got, but once again Ainge shows his excellence. Gets a really above average player on a great deal.

« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2015, 10:53:10 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He has stepped a lot lately, it is good to see his growth.

« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2015, 12:06:19 PM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
Not a fan, but let's be honest here,  Avery has stepped up to at least being worth a MLE contract.  And obviosly our sg of the future must be defensive minded, because clearly Tony Allen is the blueprint for a championship at sg.  Well, let's just overpay him and hope some of that stuff you're throwing at the wall sticks Danny.  Oh, wait you already did this, and according to Grant land turned down first rounders for him?  Yeah, forget our future Danny, we have it now!  Well, at least if he doesn't pan out we have another defensive minded sg of the future who can't shoot or drive to the basket in Smart, because that's what wins in this league: shooting guards who can't drive, shoot or create their own shot.  End rant  :)
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2015, 12:07:36 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Without Avery Bradley we are not where near the playoffs. Who would have thought we'd be talking about last summer? Everyone was upset with the deal Avery got, but once again Ainge shows his excellence. Gets a really above average player on a great deal.
I think the jury is still out on how above average he is. TS% of .508 just doesn't cut it, even if you're a relatively low usage player (which he is despite him being less of a ball mover than I'd like)

He is certainly a starting caliber player in a role player sense, but if the cap wasn't going up massively I'd hate his contract.

« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2015, 12:11:21 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Oh and for those who said "these shooting percentages aren't sustainable for him". You win some TPs!

Bradley dropped right back down in March compared to February, a TS of .488 in 15 games, meaning regression to the mean has kicked in nicely.

« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2015, 12:52:35 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I still think he'll have more value on another team than on the Cs.

Put him on CLE, OKC or GSW where he can play with a big, ball-dominant backcourt partner and play 25 mpg, where his sole focus is harrassing the %#?! out of the opponent's best guard while giving someone like Kyrie or Steph a break from exerting too much defensive effort.

I think he'd be incredibly valuable in that role. Being in the Finals you're probably playing against Irving, Paul, Curry, Westbrook or someone of that ilk. Putting a stopper on them for half the game could be the difference in the series.

« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2015, 01:19:23 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Remember that Bradley's biggest weakness has always been that he can only be given so much decision making responsibility before he has problems. This season has been unusually tough on him. He didn't get a lot of time with Rondo, and he isn't getting a lot of time with IT either. There is no continuity here, and no star to distort the defense. He mostly manufactures his own looks off curls and movement. He isn't getting set up for a lot of easy shots.

This is a team that will settle down in the next year or two and AB will benefit more than most. He has a very nice stroke, and he is slowly improving at everything else on offense. I think he's done a nice job under very difficult circumstances.

« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2015, 02:06:27 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
I'm ok with his contract now.  He has improved his shot with better consistency    No doubt. 

He has made some improvement in his WITH the ball in his hands game.   I see him finishing better , not great mind you .....but better than the start of the season.

His off the ball movement is one of the best in the league .  He hustles and is always looking for that open look or easy bucket.

He has found a decent balance in defense and offense to lately

When IT and AB are both on their game C's are tuff out on anybodies court.

Only question now ...? 

Can these smaller fellows stay healthy ...IT and AB

Life is hard on those little men in the NBA

« Reply #59 on: April 01, 2015, 07:39:44 AM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.

The Avery Bradley we've had all year is worth right about where he's getting paid, especially considering the future of the cap and the length of his deal. The player we've seen the past month or so is worth more than that. Alas, even though I like ABs potential, he probably won't be able to keep putting up 20+PTS and 5+STLs games all the time. That would make him a top 5 SG in the league. But you don't pay star players who are top 5 at their position 8 million dollars do you?

By the time the season after next rolls around, Bradley's contract is going to look like a huge steal for whoever has him then, be it us or someone else. Sure, his contract isn't the same value as someone like IT's, but very few peoples are. He's fair value right now, and will be good value when his contacts coming to a close.
This kid was the number 1-3 recruit when he came out of High school his work ethic is top notch.
I have never dissed him on this site. I met him when he played at Texas and he seem to be determined to be a great player. Hsi loyality to want to stay in Boston is why his jersey is the one I wear. I am looking for bigger ane better things for him. i hope he keeps growing his only 24 too.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek