Author Topic: Free agent bigs 2015  (Read 9552 times)

Re: Free agent bigs 2015
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2015, 07:39:22 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
Pretty much what others have said.  Thompson will get paid.  He's an elite rebounder.  Biyombo plays like a 7 footer and he's an excellent teammate with a great work ethic from everything I've read and watched -- a late bloomer who is still improving.  If we could land Biyombo, I'm all for it.

« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2015, 07:50:10 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Pretty much what others have said.  Thompson will get paid.  He's an elite rebounder.  Biyombo plays like a 7 footer and he's an excellent teammate with a great work ethic from everything I've read and watched -- a late bloomer who is still improving.  If we could land Biyombo, I'm all for it.

And play him PF alongside an offensive minded Tyler Zeller. That's a very good, complimentary big man duo. 

Yeah, Biyombo could be decent as well. I was hoping for more size, but yeah, don't mind trying to sign him either.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2015, 07:53:28 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54

And play him PF alongside an offensive minded Tyler Zeller. That's a very good, complimentary big man duo. 

Yeah, Biyombo could be decent as well. I was hoping for more size, but yeah, don't mind trying to sign him either.

Im assuming you are talking about second unit, right?  That is a great second unit big man group, if they are backing up a Jordan and KO then I would be very happy with our post rotation.
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2015, 08:12:47 PM »

Offline The Fawb

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 3

I agree with you about Biyombo, but have an issue on Thompson. I think he is a good rebounder, averaging about 14.2 rbds/48, not great. There are 40 players with over 500 minutes who have a higher rebs/48 stat than he does. He is above average for a PF, but not elite.

Biyombo IS elite at 17.1 rbds/48 (good for #10)

« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2015, 08:27:18 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I'd like to see Greg Monroe, but if we're going to go after him I'd REALLY like to see a hyper-athletic (by NBA standards) 4 who can provide excellent help defense and hit a jumper.

Like literally Serge Ibaka. Or the guy John Henson was supposed to be. Gorgui Dieng would be great but then I'd need to learn his name. Maybe one of the bigs from the draft. I could see that.

Love Monroe, but maximizing him, we cannot do. Yet.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2015, 08:44:10 PM »

Offline celticmania

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
Tobias Harris will get 9 mil per and Bismack Biyambo around 6-7 mil and honestly i wouldnt mind either if we were looking to compete

« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2015, 08:59:21 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Here is the list of guys I hope we go after this summer

Not saying we'd be able to get all of them

-Greg Monroe
-Roy Hibbert
-Paul Millsap
-Al Jefferson
-Deandre Jordan
-Marc Gasol

Also, not saying we need another guard, but if Monta Ellis opts out of Dallas, I'd love to go after him.

Even with Isaiah in the mix, I still feel we need another scorer.

« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2015, 08:59:54 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I'd like to see Greg Monroe, but if we're going to go after him I'd REALLY like to see a hyper-athletic (by NBA standards) 4 who can provide excellent help defense and hit a jumper.

Like literally Serge Ibaka. Or the guy John Henson was supposed to be. Gorgui Dieng would be great but then I'd need to learn his name. Maybe one of the bigs from the draft. I could see that.

Why not?

« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2015, 09:09:29 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Why not?

I meant maximizing his impact on the floor. He's improved defensively a lot. This is his best defensive year. But he still isn't a guy who can alter a ton of shots on the floor, and as a help defender, we're better served with a more athletic maybe taller or longer player next to him.

Right now neither Sully or Olynyk really address those issues. Nobody on our roster does.

And asking Monroe to be a full time defensive anchor without other gifted defenders in the post and on the perimeter I don't think is a real team with elite potential.

« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2015, 11:49:56 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
Robin Lopez.

Would love to have him.

Would you love to had him if you had to make him the highest-paid Lopez in the league by a few million in order to get him to leave Portland?

How much better is Robin then Zeller? Tyler is the better overall offensive play and comparable rebounder. Lopez is a superior defender but is his superiority at a level to warrant the $$?

To me he's not better than Zeller, especially when you factor in what it would cost salary wise.  Lopex averages 10 and 7 playing 28 + minutes and Zeller averages 10 and 5.5 playing 20+/  Also Lopez makes about 5 or 6 times more money

« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2015, 12:13:51 AM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
I would make an offer to Amir Johnson. blue collar bigman.

How about Asik? This blog loved him a year ago.

« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2015, 12:15:34 AM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Robin Lopez.

Would love to have him.

Would you love to had him if you had to make him the highest-paid Lopez in the league by a few million in order to get him to leave Portland?

How much better is Robin then Zeller? Tyler is the better overall offensive play and comparable rebounder. Lopez is a superior defender but is his superiority at a level to warrant the $$?

To me he's not better than Zeller, especially when you factor in what it would cost salary wise.  Lopex averages 10 and 7 playing 28 + minutes and Zeller averages 10 and 5.5 playing 20+/  Also Lopez makes about 5 or 6 times more money

Stats aside, Robin Lopez has legit center size, and holds his own better physically. I would take Lopez over Zeller. But I would only try to get him for 8 million per year.

« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2015, 01:26:33 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
I would make an offer to Amir Johnson. blue collar bigman.

I loved him when we were looking at fielding a team of Rondo, Love, and Asik. I woulda paid him then. With this team though, I think we're better off trying to swing for the fences vs getting those 'super role player' type guys.

« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2015, 02:21:42 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

There are no free agent centers who are clearly better on defense or clearly better at rebounding.  Asik not be great on offense, but there is no one who provides a better package of defense+rebounding.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2015, 02:26:27 AM »

Offline MSceltic

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 23
I want Tobias Harris way too much.

I have a friend who is an obsessive Magic fan and he said that if the Magic pay him $10M per, that is way too much. I corrected him and mentioned that he will probably get paid a good deal more than that and he felt bad for any team that wastes the money on him. Obviously he may be exaggerating and he may not be the best analyzer of how good Harris is, but he watches every Magic game and isn't particularly impressed.
He's 22, athletic, has a silky 18 footer. And he only wants 12 mill? Give it to him ha!
I saw him live (against the lakers I'll admit) two weeks ago when I was down in Orlando. He dropped a quiet 30 and I had a man crush.