Author Topic: Need help building a gaming PC on a limited budget.  (Read 13132 times)

Re: Need help building a gaming PC on a limited budget.
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2015, 01:21:45 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
honestly 800 is kinda hard building a gaming PC. The last two I built for my friend were at least 1100 to 1200. The video card usually eats up a good chunk of your budget. I would assume you would get something like the nvidia 760/770 at least if not higher those are about 200-300 dollars (I'm still running on my 660ti, and due for another video card, I cannot even play evolve!)

So let's break down the prices

Video Card - $300
Motherboard/processor (Using an i5, and using newegg combo prices), about $250
I assume you're gonna need probably 8 gb ram (cuz honestly, they're cheap nowadays and usually come in 8gb) - $60
Powersupply (probably 600w - 800w and they range from 50 - 120 depending on brand) - $50

Also, what is your OS? If you want to play a lot of games, you're most likely going to have to run on Windows (sad, I know, if current gen games came out for Linux on Steam, I would be using Linux). Let's say latest is Win 8/1 which is about $100

Will you be buying a case or you already have one, good ones are about $60-70 and up.

Now this random build I just did will cost you just a little over 800 (if you're lucky). I always go for (or at least try to get the best or near best), and if you prefer using i7 vs i5, or even a better mobo, more powerful PS, and even Video card, you will be if not definitely over $1000.

Edit: I am a total idiot, I forgot about hard drives, depends if you want an ssd or just a regular hdd. An 128 gb ssd will definitely push your budget 900 and up  :P

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2015, 01:30:04 PM »

Offline Real World

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 8
Hi, fellows. Thought I'd ask for some opinions on this on these boards. I'd like to join the Master Race, but I have no idea what to do.

So, I know how to use a computer, but don't know squat about building it, reading specs and everything. I'm trying to buy/build one on an $800 budget but have no clue where to start.

Any chance you can help a fellow poster out with some tips? Which parts to buy, where can I find it and so and so?

At worst, it can be a solid discussion platform for PC guys, at best, you're helping out a person who'd really like to play PC games on high settings but don't want to spend more than $800.

Thanks and will give out TP's for the responses.

Definately do some reading over at  tomshardware.  Here is the link to their systems building forum.   It's a terrific place to learn a few things, and ask questions.  The forum members are extremely helpful.  They also have a step by step tutorial sticky at the top.  This is where I went before I built my first PC. I've built about a dozen since.  Don't be nervous.  It's quite simple really.  Lots of youtube videos to walk you through the process.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum-31.html

First thing we/you need to know is exactly what you need inside of that $800 budget.  Do you need a

Monitor
OS - Operating System
CPU
Video Card
RAM
Motherboard
Etc.

If you need everything from A to Z, then it affects the quality of the components you will be able to afford.  Without knowing what you need inside of the $800 budget, it's hard to recommend a specific build.

I will say this, I assume you're from the Boston area, and if so, I highly recommend buying your CPU & motherboard at Microcenter in Cambridge.  They offer amazing combo discounts for both AMD and Intell processors+motherboards.   However, most of their other components are likely to be more expensive than Newegg (www.newegg.com) online, not to mention at Newegg MA residents do not pay sales tax.   So CPU/mobo at Microcenter, and shop around for the rest of your components.   

AMD Bundles

http://www.microcenter.com/site/products/amd_bundles.aspx

Intell Bundles

http://www.microcenter.com/site/brands/intel-processor-bundles.aspx

Give us a list of what you need inside that $800 budget, and we can help you put together a build that works.

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2015, 01:36:41 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
Hi, fellows. Thought I'd ask for some opinions on this on these boards. I'd like to join the Master Race, but I have no idea what to do.

So, I know how to use a computer, but don't know squat about building it, reading specs and everything. I'm trying to buy/build one on an $800 budget but have no clue where to start.

Any chance you can help a fellow poster out with some tips? Which parts to buy, where can I find it and so and so?

At worst, it can be a solid discussion platform for PC guys, at best, you're helping out a person who'd really like to play PC games on high settings but don't want to spend more than $800.

Definately do some reading over at  tomshardware.  Here is the link to their systems building forum.   It's a terrific place to learn a few things, and ask questions.  The forum members are extremely helpful.  They also have a step by step tutorial sticky at the top.  This is where I went before I built my first PC. I've built about a dozen since.  Don't be nervous.  It's quite simple really.  Lots of youtube videos to walk you through the process.

First thing we/you need to know is exactly what you need inside of that $800 budget.  Do you need a

Monitor
OS - Operating System
CPU
Video Card
RAM
Motherboard
Etc.

If you need everything from A to Z, then it affects the quality of the components you will be able to afford.  Without knowing what you need inside of the $800 budget, it's hard to recommend a specific build.

I will say this, I assume you're from the Boston area, and if so, I highly recommend buying your CPU & motherboard at Microcenter in Cambridge.  They offer amazing combo discounts for both AMD and Intell processors+motherboards.   However, most of their other components are likely to be more expensive than Newegg (www.newegg.com) online, not to mention at Newegg MA residents do not pay sales tax.   So CPU/mobo at Microcenter, and shop around for the rest of your components.   

AMD Bundles

Intell Bundles

Give us a list of what you need inside that $800 budget, and we can help you put together a build that works.

ah, right, forgot to mention Microcenter if you're in the Boston area. I prefer window shopping on newegg to see what I can build, before heading over to MC. I like shopping at MC because if anything breaks or just wrong parts, you can drive over and exchange them rather than exchange and ship things back and forth via newegg or other sites. MC also have good deals every now and then. I believe I got a discount for grabbing a mobo and an i7 3 years ago, and believe I got another discount for spending 1000+. And it's a great place to get help as well because all the salesmen wants to get commission so they'll fight for your business :)

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2015, 01:50:02 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Monitor
OS - Operating System
CPU
Video Card
RAM
Motherboard
Etc.

AMD Bundles

Intell Bundles

Yeah. I'm buying everything. I guess its looking like $800 won't be enough.  ;D
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2015, 02:15:01 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I built one threw cyberpower last year to do my artwork on. I was bouncing from them and Ibuypower for the best deals. They tend to run specials on certain parts.

I payed about 1100 for mine with 12 GB of Ram, and two hard drives, both solid state. It came with a basic keyboard and mouse, and I got a nice 24 inch LED screen at best buy during Christmas time.

I like you was hoping for 800, but realized that if you want something good, you have to pay a little extra for it, or you have to go with a premade one that you may regret in the long run.

It runs great, and is superfast. Uploads and save big files in a fraction of the time my last one did, which is nice because I try to save my work every 15 to 20 minutes. And instead of 30 to 2 minutes of waiting time to save depending on how many layers I have going, it's less than 8 seconds.

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2015, 02:17:54 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I built one threw cyberpower last year to do my artwork on. I was bouncing from them and Ibuypower for the best deals. They tend to run specials on certain parts.

I payed about 1100 for mine with 12 GB of Ram, and two hard drives, both solid state. It came with a basic keyboard and mouse, and I got a nice 24 inch LED screen at best buy during Christmas time.

I like you was hoping for 800, but realized that if you want something good, you have to pay a little extra for it, or you have to go with a premade one that you may regret in the long run.

It runs great, and is superfast. Uploads and save big files in a fraction of the time my last one did, which is nice because I try to save my work every 15 to 20 minutes. And instead of 30 to 2 minutes of waiting time to save depending on how many layers I have going, it's less than 8 seconds.

Thanks.

Yeah, I've actually seen those names on Best Buy and they have an already built machine that's around $700 with solid customer rating.

You think those would do good on video gaming or should I just build parts for parts (which I know nothing about ;D)?

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2015, 03:43:08 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Building is always cheaper. You can save hundreds. Only real exception is software bundles that sometimes come with manufacturers. You might have to pay 100-300 for the same k software packages. Do some pricing checks on self assembled vs complete pcs at your price range.

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2015, 04:13:42 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
the big, HUGE thing when getting a  gaming rig is to get a good graphics card, that makes way more difference than any other component.
tom's hardware has a monthly article about best value per dollar for cards.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107.html

one in particular to consider is the geforce gtx 960 - only $210 on amazon. really a terrific value. the 960 is like 87% as good as the 980, which is $550.
save that extra money for a future upgrade when the upgrade will actually matter!

also make sure to get a solid state drive. they are dependable (if you get a good brand, like samsung), and the real-world time they ultimately save you is worth the extra cost.

IMO do NOT spend a bunch of money on fancy RAM, it makes barely any difference, maybe 1-3% at most. and as RAM speeds increase, so does latency, largely canceling out the benefits of the faster speeds. even "slow" RAM is VERY fast by definition.
get a decent brand foir reliability, but the high end enthusiast models are incredibly overpriced.

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2016, 10:11:32 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Hi fellows. I'm bumping this thread to be selfish again and ask for help.

I feel like I have found the PC I would like to purchase. I would be selfish again and ask for your opinions to see if this is worth getting.

Thanks, and TP's for the responses.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpowerpc-gamer-xtreme-desktop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-2tb-hard-drive-black-blue/4866000.p?id=bb4866000&skuId=4866000

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2016, 10:33:12 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas

I feel like I have found the PC I would like to purchase. I would be selfish again and ask for your opinions to see if this is worth getting.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpowerpc-gamer-xtreme-desktop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-2tb-hard-drive-black-blue/4866000.p?id=bb4866000&skuId=4866000

not bad for $1300. the GTX 980 is about 500 itself. I have the 970, and the 980 is pretty beefy. Though 3.4 gHz is kinda slow for me...maybe cuz I overclock myself. Personally I like to build it myself, just get the satisfaction when I built it myself. But if you like to save yourself the trouble, I say buy it since the specs aren't entirely too bad, this should last you a while

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2016, 10:37:06 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

not bad for $1300. the GTX 980 is about 500 itself. I have the 970, and the 980 is pretty beefy. Though 3.4 gHz is kinda slow for me...maybe cuz I overclock myself. Personally I like to build it myself, just get the satisfaction when I built it myself. But if you like to save yourself the trouble, I say buy it since the specs aren't entirely too bad, this should last you a while

Appreciate it, man-lui. TP as promised.

You think this will run current games in high settings no problem?

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2016, 10:37:49 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas

yes absolutely, it's a 980, my 970 runs games at ultra settings. the 980 should be a more powerful video card than mine

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2016, 10:41:38 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

yes absolutely, it's a 980, my 970 runs games at ultra settings. the 980 should be a more powerful video card than mine

Awesome. That's good feedback.

Thank you so much.

« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2016, 10:43:57 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas

Thank you so much.

no problem, best of luck! if you're going to game, I recommend Rise of the Tomb Raider, that game was amazing

« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2016, 10:49:18 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Thank you so much.

no problem, best of luck! if you're going to game, I recommend Rise of the Tomb Raider, that game was amazing

I'm buying this for Battlefield 1, Dark Souls and Civ VI maybe. But yes, I will definitely try Tomb Raider as well.