Author Topic: Larry Sanders officially bought out  (Read 4706 times)

Re: Larry Sanders officially bought out
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2015, 01:42:31 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
i remember when dave cowens quit the celtics to drive a cab for a few days. different people react differently to the pressure of the nba.

sanders has a real talent and will be available for little cost. if he indeed needs structure, guidance, mentoring i think CBS and the celtics are a great team for him.

sign him.
pretty sure dave cowens didn't give up 22 million dollars to drive cabs.   The fact that Sanders did it suggests he was pretty desperate to stop playing basketball. 

Could check in with him in a year or two to see if the medication/therapy helped.

On the flip side, he received 22 mil which basically would be the total of his salary this year and next.  If he wants to sign with a team soon are revitalize his career, he could end up making even more money than he was expected to make. 

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2015, 03:23:16 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I love Larry Sanders but I'll admit I was dead wrong about going after him on the cheap- only 9 months ago I was hoping we'd make a move and try and get him cheap, but how wrong I was.

He's been an absolute trainwreck for the past 2 seasons and he's got some serious mental health issues and issues with substance abuse/reliance.

I would sign him to a small long term+team option contract and try and help him out as much as possible with therapy, lifestyle coaching etc...
Unfortunately some people just can't cope with the travel, pressure and the craziness that surrounds NBA players and their money.

I just hope for Larry's sake that he does what makes him happy before anything else.
He is a competitor who's fighting some demons and he needs to remove all distractions and focus on beating those demons before he does anything else.

So sad.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2015, 09:00:20 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
NBA needs to take Marijuana off their testing list, about 80% of the players smoke .
  I don't think they test for it, or there would be no NBA. 

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2015, 09:53:51 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
i think they do actually
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2015, 01:34:44 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
i remember when dave cowens quit the celtics to drive a cab for a few days. different people react differently to the pressure of the nba.

sanders has a real talent and will be available for little cost. if he indeed needs structure, guidance, mentoring i think CBS and the celtics are a great team for him.

sign him.
pretty sure dave cowens didn't give up 22 million dollars to drive cabs.   The fact that Sanders did it suggests he was pretty desperate to stop playing basketball. 
Could check in with him in a year or two to see if the medication/therapy helped.

On the flip side, he received 22 mil which basically would be the total of his salary this year and next.  If he wants to sign with a team soon are revitalize his career, he could end up making even more money than he was expected to make.

Or...maybe he was just desperate to get out of Milwaukee. 
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2015, 01:50:46 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
NBA needs to take Marijuana off their testing list, about 80% of the players smoke .
  I don't think they test for it, or there would be no NBA.
i think they do actually

They do. You don't get suspended/fined until failing it for a third time, which is why people often think that there's no test, but the 'minimum of 10 games' is the tell.

I think Sanders' problems are simultaneously more complicated and more simple that most posters have said -- dude clearly wasn't happy with his situation in Milwaukee for whatever reason, but that doesn't mean he's damaged goods that no team should ever pay attention to. Especially not for an inability to stop smoking pot -- on the list of things that should concern you about an athlete, that should be considerably further down the list of red flags than, say, a Kobe-style situation. Same goes for the bar fight, unless you still maintain we should have gotten rid of Pierce after the stabbing: precipitated in a bar fight involving a rap group at close-to-closing time.

BUT! Even the most glazed-over Phish loving wookie can beat a drug test, given the proper incentive, and playing a children's game for millions of dollars would seem to be a very proper incentive, even if you're not necessarily money motivated. The fact that Sanders doesn't seem to care about failing these drug tests requires some investigation, and for all most of us know, that's where teams are right now.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.