Author Topic: Is Smart tradeable now?  (Read 6296 times)

Re: Is Smart tradeable now?
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2015, 01:49:56 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Think DA will budge now if he was able to land a top player next year? Or will he lock him up and play the 2?

At this point and time, every single player on this team is tradable right now for the right price. What we have is a roster full of assets and they will be treated as such until the team improves greatly
agree completely
take into account, return, current contract, rookie deal etc but all our guys are tradable in the right package

« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2015, 01:54:43 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
In my mind, everyone is tradeable and no one is irreplaceable.

That said, Smart has impressively developed into a very good point guard.

« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2015, 02:59:14 PM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
A Marcus Smart trade would have to be a dumb trade.

It either be dumb of the Celtics to trade him for anything less than a king's ransom, and it'd be dumb for anyone to offer a king's ransom for Marcus Smart.

He means more to the Celtics than he does to anyone else, he's in his first year of a team friendly contract, he is a freeking "Velociraptor on defense" (quote from Zach Lowe), he is invested in the vision of Brad Stevens, and his offensive game has made leaps and bounds halfway through his first season.

It would be dumb to trade Smart for anything less than established elite talent.
and
It would be dumb to trade established elite talent for Smart's potential.

TP for this comment - this is basically the story of rookies picked high in the draft. If the Wizards had traded Kwame Brown in his first year, they could have gotten quite the return, but if he turned into the next Olajuwon, then that return would have seemed silly.

I guess you hope that you figure out that a player isn't going to be very good before all of the other teams so you can still trade your [flawed] rookie for established talent.

« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2015, 03:04:52 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Smart does not have elite potential for one simple reason: He has difficulty creating his own shot.  He just is not fluid enough with the rock to become a Wade type of player.  I like him for what he is: gritty, nose to the grind stone type guy.  I see his future more in the Tony Allen category of player.  You'd love to have him on your team, but he is not one of the 2-3 guys you need to build your team around. 

« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2015, 03:42:08 PM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
As far as tradeability goes, I would probably trade him for the 5th pick in this year's draft. I really like what he brings as a player, but I don't see the star [scoring] potential that he will need to have to be the next Cs franchise player. Perhaps if we brought in a top tier SF / C, I would be satisfied.

« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2015, 04:07:45 PM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
Smart does not have elite potential for one simple reason: He has difficulty creating his own shot.  He just is not fluid enough with the rock to become a Wade type of player.  I like him for what he is: gritty, nose to the grind stone type guy.  I see his future more in the Tony Allen category of player.  You'd love to have him on your team, but he is not one of the 2-3 guys you need to build your team around.

Yeah. Cause rookies never get better or develop aspects of their games after the first half of the first season. </sarcasm>

I look at Smart and see a player that heard that the biggest criticism of his game was his shooting... so, halfway through his first season he has transformed himself into a much better shooter.

The kid works hard to make himself better. After he improved his shot, the fans moved the goal posts on him and started criticizing his ability to get to the hoop on the drive/get to the foul line... so, over the last few games, he's been getting to the line/driving to the hoop for kick-outs much more regularly.

These improvements have come in half a season while he has been acclimating himself to the NBA and dealing with an entirely new life/entirly new expectations. Imagine how much better he could make himself during the off season. Typically Rookie to Sophomore year is a huge year for improvement, and Marcus Smart lives and breathes basketball. He's already our best defensive player. Give him 2 years and his offense will catch up.

I think the sky is the limit for Marcus Smart.
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2015, 04:10:59 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I think everyone is tradeable (unless your name is Lebron) but I'm not sure I would be so quick to pull the trigger on Smart just yet. Unless you're getting back a certifiable top player, it doesn't really make sense to trade a 20 year old rookie in the first year of his rookie deal. I have really bad flashbacks to the Chauncey Billups and Joe Johnson deals where the C's gave up way to early on those guys. I'd hate to see a similar situation happen again and set the franchise back again.

Smart is by no means a perfect player at this time and I don't know if Smart will ever be an ELITE point guard. But I do think he will be an all star type player. He's already shown improvement this year in the area of the game that most thought was his biggest weakness. Smart is already a very good defender (that came as advertised). He's got a lot of potential. Time will tell but he's a likeable player and easy to root for based off his pitbull attitude and toughness. I'd like to see him succeed in Celtic green.