Author Topic: NBA Trade Deadline Watch  (Read 37237 times)

Re: NBA Trade Deadline Watch
« Reply #315 on: February 20, 2015, 03:44:14 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
okay, i could understand that they were unhappy or not convinced that he's their cornerstone or atleast a good starter, but a better GM would get far more from him than a bunch of if's and maybe's

The entire Sixers rebuild model is a pile of ifs and maybes.

« Reply #316 on: February 20, 2015, 03:59:41 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
okay, i could understand that they were unhappy or not convinced that he's their cornerstone or atleast a good starter, but a better GM would get far more from him than a bunch of if's and maybe's
The Laker's pick is excellent return for MCW.  The Sixers were smart to trade MCW when his value was still high.  They held onto ET too long and could only get a couple 2nd round picks for him.  Even if the Lakers pick doesn't fall out of the top 5 this year, it will almost certainly end up being a top 10 pick next year.

Lakers are in the running for the worst record and certainly have a strong chance of having the 2nd worst record. Don't have to tank either since their talent is injured.  2015-16 they'll have a top 5 pick playing, Randall, Kobe, and the best FA they can land this summer and they can get a max one if they can entice them (just saying that says something about their program's decline).  Could be better than bottom 10 team, though I cannot see them in playoffs.

The other and bigger issue is that next year's draft is supposedly very poor in the eyes of GMs according to Givony at DraftXpress so I'm not sure the 6ers are getting that great a deal on MCW.  MCW is a poor man's Rondo + turnovers, but I think he'll be better in MIL than PHI.  If he ever gets a shot, he'll be a very good player, but that's a big if.

We have some at CBlog who had MCW with Embiid and Saric as one of the Sixer's core of HOFers-to-be. He's not, nor are they, but he has a decent amount of upside still IF he can tap it. All-in-all I didn't think it was an awful or great trade for either side.

As for Hinkie, keep on churning - 2030 is right around the corner.

« Reply #317 on: February 20, 2015, 05:11:40 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
In the end, getting picks for Dragic might be for the best. Kudos to Suns GM Ryan McDonough for getting Miami to give up an unprotected 2021 first-round pick.

That is a nice pick to get for a player they were going to lose in 4 months time.

Who knows where Miami is 6 years from now. Unprotected pick.

« Reply #318 on: February 20, 2015, 05:27:04 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
The Laker's pick is excellent return for MCW.  The Sixers were smart to trade MCW when his value was still high.  They held onto ET too long and could only get a couple 2nd round picks for him.  Even if the Lakers pick doesn't fall out of the top 5 this year, it will almost certainly end up being a top 10 pick next year.

Lakers are in the running for the worst record and certainly have a strong chance of having the 2nd worst record. Don't have to tank either since their talent is injured.  2015-16 they'll have a top 5 pick playing, Randall, Kobe, and the best FA they can land this summer and they can get a max one if they can entice them (just saying that says something about their program's decline).  Could be better than bottom 10 team, though I cannot see them in playoffs.

The other and bigger issue is that next year's draft is supposedly very poor in the eyes of GMs according to Givony at DraftXpress so I'm not sure the 6ers are getting that great a deal on MCW.  MCW is a poor man's Rondo + turnovers, but I think he'll be better in MIL than PHI.  If he ever gets a shot, he'll be a very good player, but that's a big if.

We have some at CBlog who had MCW with Embiid and Saric as one of the Sixer's core of HOFers-to-be. He's not, nor are they, but he has a decent amount of upside still IF he can tap it. All-in-all I didn't think it was an awful or great trade for either side.

The Lakers are in the running for the worst record but I don't see them passing the Knicks and Sixers who are in full tank mode.  Minnesota is in pseudo tank mode and Orlando is a confusing mess.  Odds are the Lakers will finish 3rd or 4th worst.  However there is still a good chance they finish 5th worst which would mean a 45% chance of falling outside the top 5. 

As for 2016, I don't see Lakers adding much to their win total with Kobe, Randle and the top 5 pick.  So it comes down to who they can get in free agency and right now I don't see them getting a significant impact player.  Then pressed hard for Carmelo last year and still was his 3rd choice behind the Knicks and the Bulls.  Regarding the 2016 draft, it is way too early to speculate on that draft.  We don't even know who is going to declare for the 2015 draft.   Looking at DraftExpress, they have Thon Maker as the 10th pick in 2016 which would make it at least as good as 2015 in my mind. 

« Reply #319 on: February 20, 2015, 05:43:10 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

The Lakers are in the running for the worst record but I don't see them passing the Knicks and Sixers who are in full tank mode.  Minnesota is in pseudo tank mode and Orlando is a confusing mess.  Odds are the Lakers will finish 3rd or 4th worst.  However there is still a good chance they finish 5th worst which would mean a 45% chance of falling outside the top 5. 

As for 2016, I don't see Lakers adding much to their win total with Kobe, Randle and the top 5 pick.  So it comes down to who they can get in free agency and right now I don't see them getting a significant impact player.  Then pressed hard for Carmelo last year and still was his 3rd choice behind the Knicks and the Bulls.  Regarding the 2016 draft, it is way too early to speculate on that draft.  We don't even know who is going to declare for the 2015 draft.   Looking at DraftExpress, they have Thon Maker as the 10th pick in 2016 which would make it at least as good as 2015 in my mind.

The Timberwolves have Wiggins, Pek, Rubio, Martin, Muhammad and Dieng.
Compare that to Lin, Swaggy P, Jordan Hill, Boozer, Clarkson, Sacre

It is like comparing the Warriors to the Hornets

If the Lakers pick falls outside the top 5 it is an epic and comic collapse that would be one of the biggest what the fudge moments in NBA history. I don't know how people think they would let that happen. We are also forgetting the Lakers have to play all the West teams while the 76ers and Knicks play each other (and all the other terrible eastern teams). I actually predict the Lakers finish with the worst record in the league. (somebody please look at their roster)

« Reply #320 on: February 20, 2015, 05:45:57 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Lakers play Philly twice in the coming weeks. Could be two wins right there for the Lakeshow.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #321 on: February 20, 2015, 05:53:27 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Lakers play Philly twice in the coming weeks. Could be two wins right there for the Lakeshow.

I think their teams are pretty equal in talent. Have you looked at the Lakers roster? Starting 5 last couple of games Clarkson, Sacre, Kelly, Black and Ellington. Only Ellington probably belongs in NBA.

« Reply #322 on: February 20, 2015, 06:30:37 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

I think their teams are pretty equal in talent. Have you looked at the Lakers roster? Starting 5 last couple of games Clarkson, Sacre, Kelly, Black and Ellington. Only Ellington probably belongs in NBA.
Hill, Young, Boozer and even Lin give the Lakers significantly more NBA ready talent than the Sixers. 

« Reply #323 on: February 20, 2015, 07:03:52 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

The Timberwolves have Wiggins, Pek, Rubio, Martin, Muhammad and Dieng.
Compare that to Lin, Swaggy P, Jordan Hill, Boozer, Clarkson, Sacre

It is like comparing the Warriors to the Hornets

If the Lakers pick falls outside the top 5 it is an epic and comic collapse that would be one of the biggest what the fudge moments in NBA history. I don't know how people think they would let that happen. We are also forgetting the Lakers have to play all the West teams while the 76ers and Knicks play each other (and all the other terrible eastern teams). I actually predict the Lakers finish with the worst record in the league. (somebody please look at their roster)
According to the NBA.com site, the respective remaining opponent's strength of schedules are: Sixers .462, Lakers .468, Magic .471, Knicks .472 and Twolves .525.  So its the Twolves not the Lakers with the significantly harder remaining schedule. 

http://www.nba.com/standings/playoff_picture.html

« Reply #324 on: February 21, 2015, 05:57:04 PM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57

The entire Sixers rebuild model is a pile of ifs and maybes.

Is there a rebuild that isn't a pile of ifs and maybes?

There is no way that LAL pick isn't in the top 10 next year, the real risk is that they're bad enough next year that it doesn't convey until 2017.