Author Topic: Denver trading McGee  (Read 5653 times)

Re: Denver trading McGee
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2015, 12:03:55 PM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER
Why would the Sixers take McGee? They already have Noel and Embiid who are both better and cheaper.

In a word: Assets!
Philadelphia is stockpiling assets.  This might have been a worthwhile deal for the Celtics.
McGee is a risk: is he worth his salary?  But he also is another capable athlete for a frontline.
I think he is overpaid.  But when you don't have someone in that spot, why not pick up another first round draft pick.

I bet OKC makes the playoffs. Still intriguing move!
Noels, Embibb, McGee and Okafor with MCW as the point guard.  LOL

Big Ball > Small Ball   HA!
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2015, 12:06:18 PM »

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75
Why would the Sixers take McGee? They already have Noel and Embiid who are both better and cheaper.

In a word: Assets!
Philadelphia is stockpiling assets.  This might have been a worthwhile deal for the Celtics.
McGee is a risk: is he worth his salary?  But he also is another capable athlete for a frontline.
I think he is overpaid.  But when you don't have someone in that spot, why not pick up another first round draft pick.

I bet OKC makes the playoffs. Still intriguing move!
Noels, Embibb, McGee and Okafor with MCW as the point guard.  LOL

Big Ball > Small Ball   HA!

I think Danny should have jumped on this bc, height is a premium and it looks like the 76ers have it all!!! How many teams would kill for young, athletic Centers - albeit, McGee is a knucklehead.

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2015, 12:06:33 PM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46

Because they get a 1st round pick too.   
Diggles

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2015, 12:36:11 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Philly is renting out cap space to get a 1st rounder.  Simple as that.  It's not a deal Boston could make, because McGee has 11 mil on his contract next season and Boston is trying to maximize cap space for free agents.  Free agents don't really factor into Philly's strategy right now.  They are all about drafting superstar prospects and letting them develop for a few years.

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2015, 12:43:33 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

Denver is crazy. I don't get it. Denver is crazy.

Denver just traded a 1st in order to clear cap. Clear cap for what?

What are you doing Denver?

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2015, 12:45:03 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349

The only thing I'm wondering is why couldn't WE take McGee for a first?

The only explanation I can come up with is that Danny expects to be contending by the end of McGee's contract and doesn't want another Wallace-type. Woohoo! Contending! Good vibes!

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2015, 12:45:14 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Philly is renting out cap space to get a 1st rounder.  Simple as that.  It's not a deal Boston could make, because McGee has 11 mil on his contract next season and Boston is trying to maximize cap space for free agents.  Free agents don't really factor into Philly's strategy right now.  They are all about drafting superstar prospects and letting them develop for a few years until they've had enough losing and move on to other teams -- like theCELTICS.
fixed it for you

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2015, 12:50:49 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
this could create an interesting test in Phili for the rest of the season. McGee at Center and Noel at PF will be a nice test run for the Embiid/Noel combo.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2015, 12:53:16 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421

The only thing I'm wondering is why couldn't WE take McGee for a first?

The only explanation I can come up with is that Danny expects to be contending by the end of McGee's contract and doesn't want another Wallace-type. Woohoo! Contending! Good vibes!

My guess is that DA has two reasons not to jump into the McGee deal. 1. wants solid vets to create and good environment to grow/develop young talent. Low IQ McGee is not that. 2. He wants to maintained flexibility in case a deal comes along where he can be opportunistic. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2015, 12:53:24 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2158
Props to Hinkie, that's a great deal. Ainge beat Hinkie to the punch in the Cavs deal, now Hinkie returns the favor...

Or maybe Boston wasn't trying? $11 Million would have pushed the Celtics into luxury tax territory.

The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2015, 12:56:30 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Props to Hinkie, that's a great deal. Ainge beat Hinkie to the punch in the Cavs deal, now Hinkie returns the favor...

Or maybe Boston wasn't trying? $11 Million would have pushed the Celtics into luxury tax territory.
Exactly need to avoid repeater tax early in rebuild

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2015, 12:58:16 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394

Because they're below the salary floor and are getting a 1st for their trouble.

Wouldn't surprise me if McGee played very little for them.  Heck, they might be able to flip him this offseason for another pick.

Heck, they might even stretch him.

He is really stretchy

« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2015, 01:00:56 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377

I think LB33 and GetLucky touched on why we didn't make this deal, and that's that Ainge has bigger fish to fry this summer. Something more impactful to do with the cap space.

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2015, 01:16:46 PM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Tom Moore @tmoore76ers
#Sixers Brown: 'I would prefer not to comment' on type of player JaVale McGee is.

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2015, 01:19:40 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Tom Moore @tmoore76ers
#Sixers Brown: 'I would prefer not to comment' on type of player JaVale McGee is.

Ringing endorsement right there.  Usually it takes McGee at least a full season before coaches start with the "if you can't say anything nice..." approach.