Author Topic: Dragic/Hibbert hypothetical  (Read 1680 times)

Dragic/Hibbert hypothetical
« on: February 19, 2015, 04:39:13 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Can't sleep.  Just gonna work this out hypothetically.

First Dragic:
The current asking price is quite high, according to Yahoo!, with the Suns hoping to land a talented young player and at least one first-round pick, if not two.

Is it fair to say Avery Bradley qualifies as a "talented young player"?  He's 24 years old and averaging 16.5 points, 3.7 points, 1.7 assists on 47%/38%/86% shooting this month.   I'm not a big fan.  I think he's undersized, overrated and overpaid.  Signed on for 7.1 mil this year followed by 7.7 mil, 8.2 mil, 8.8 mil.  I'm not going to waste time arguing about him... I think he's expendable and would rather not have him on the books.

Trade 1:  Bradley + a pick or two for Dragic. 

I don't really care about the details, that's the basic idea.

Hibbert is interesting, because he makes 14.8 mil this year and 15.5 mil next season, but he could opt out and become a free agent. 

Any trade for Hibbert has to involve Gerald Wallace, imo.  So hypothetically let's say we offer Wallace + Zeller + Crowder + a pick.  Adjust as necessary if you think it's an overpay.  I was going to suggest including Sully or Oly, but figured it would railroad the conversation.  Details are less important...  Most important thing is having Wallace involved in the deal. 

So it leaves our lineup looking like this:

PG - Dragic
SG - Smart
SF - Turner/Young
PF - Sully
C - Hibbert
6th man - Oly

Prob could sneak in as an 8th seed.

More importantly, if we did those deals (dumping 18 mil owed to Wallace + Bradley) here's what our salary situation looks like next year:

Hibbert - 15.5 mil (assuming he doesn't opt out)
Smart - 3.4 mil
Turner - 3.4 mil
Olynyk - 2.1 mil
Young - 1.7 mil
Sully - 2.3 mil
2015-16 ROOKIES - about 5 mil?

So you're looking at about 33 mil locked up.  The cap is about 66.5 mil.    So even if you give Dragic 18 million and keep all our rookies, we're still looking about about 15 mil in cap space this summer to sign another impact player.   We'd be an Evan Turner trade away from signing another max contract deal.

If Dragic walks, you have about 33 mil in cap space you can try offering up to other free agents.   If both Dragic AND Hibbert walk... well you're looking at about 48 mil in cap space.  You can basically sign three max contracts.   

Thing is, bringing Dragic and Hibbert to Boston now and making a playoff run might give you the upper hand in keeping them, might build a winning culture here, and might give you a far better shot of attracting a third impact player this summer.

FYI:  Free agents this year - http://hoopshype.com/free_agency_2015.htm

Re: Dragic/Hibbert hypothetical
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 04:49:33 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Just a note that if we went after Ty Lawson + Brook Lopez... as long as we end up dumping Bradley and Wallace in the process, we'd be in a similar position to have max cap space this summer to lure a 3rd impact player.

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 05:48:53 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Just a note that if we went after Ty Lawson + Brook Lopez... as long as we end up dumping Bradley and Wallace in the process, we'd be in a similar position to have max cap space this summer to lure a 3rd impact player.

Isn't Hibbert healthier than Lopez?  I like Lopez but recent year, he's been injured.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 07:34:37 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

Lopez? Please god no.

7 footer that is hurt more than he's healthy and who rebounds like a guard...Not attractive

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 08:27:33 AM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=o3otlf2

BACK TO CONTENTION

BOS - Dragic brothers, David West and Hibbert
INDY - GWallace, Thorton, Olynyk and 2 firsts
PHX - ABradley, Crowder and 2 firsts

Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 08:31:33 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2421
Can't sleep.  Just gonna work this out hypothetically.

First Dragic:
The current asking price is quite high, according to Yahoo!, with the Suns hoping to land a talented young player and at least one first-round pick, if not two.

Is it fair to say Avery Bradley qualifies as a "talented young player"? He's 24 years old and averaging 16.5 points, 3.7 points, 1.7 assists on 47%/38%/86% shooting this month.   I'm not a big fan.  I think he's undersized, overrated and overpaid.  Signed on for 7.1 mil this year followed by 7.7 mil, 8.2 mil, 8.8 mil.  I'm not going to waste time arguing about him... I think he's expendable and would rather not have him on the books.

No, I don't think so.

I think he qualifies as useful role player. Borderline starter. Quality bench player.

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 11:00:09 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
I tend to agree with you, Who.  Im not sure If Bradley is valuable piece or negative value due to his contract.