Author Topic: 30 Years ago today - Larry Bird near quadruple-double  (Read 6210 times)

Re: 30 Years ago today - Larry Bird near quadruple-double
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2015, 08:11:42 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
I was young when Bird was out so I barely remember the games.  It's weird looking back that his closest statistical match is LeBron James and it's kind of uncanny

http://www.landofbasketball.com/player_comparison/b/larry_bird_vs_lebron_james.htm

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2015, 08:30:14 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Not sure, but it wasn't an official stat until 1979-80 season
I assume you mean blocks weren't.

However, Russell did have multiple seasons in which he averaged close to 5 apg, so it's indeed somewhat surprising he never triple doubled.

He probably did, I'm guessing it's kind of hard to tell, judging by the state of game logs from that era.

Yeah, statistically, it would be shocking if he didn't have some triple-doubles, and if anecdotes are to be believed, some quadruple-doubles in there, too.

In 1967, for instance, he averaged 5.8 assists per game.  I'd be very surprised if he didn't hit 10 assists in some of those games, and the rebounds (21.0 per game) are almost a given.  Points were always iffy with Russell, but 10 isn't a high burden.

Russ did have a 26 point, 27 rebound, 20 block game in the last game of his college career.

That's 2 games worth of triple doubles, in one game.  :o

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2015, 09:00:38 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

*Turner is said today to be the 10th Celtic to get a triple double, but since the game logs only go back on BRef to '86, not even this near quad-doub is included on the list. I can only imagine how many triple doubles Russell, Cousy, Havlicek, and Cowens got.

Yeah, I'm sure that the Celtics greats all had their share.  Cousy probably snuck some 10 rebound games in there, too. 

I only count nine with triple-doubles; who am I overlooking?

Larry
Rondo
Pierce
Antoine
Parish
Crawford
Gamble
Gomes
Turner

EDIT:  DJ.  He did it once in the playoffs.

Russell? He never did?
Not sure, but it wasn't an official stat until 1979-80 season

I thought I remembered McHale getting one
Yup