Author Topic: 30 Years ago today - Larry Bird near quadruple-double  (Read 6180 times)

Re: 30 Years ago today - Larry Bird near quadruple-double
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 05:33:40 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
That's amazing. Three quarters! Video game ridiculousness. And yet, a sportsman and a winner's attitude, not to go for it with such a big lead. Makes it more impressive than if he had got that tenth steal.

Not that it's necessarily unsportsmanlike or loserish to go for it, like Evan Turner* and Marcus Smart did last night. That helped give two decent players extra impetus to get a bucket. Bird was in God Mode. A merciful god, lol.

*Turner is said today to be the 10th Celtic to get a triple double, but since the game logs only go back on BRef to '86, not even this near quad-doub is included on the list. I can only imagine how many triple doubles Russell, Cousy, Havlicek, and Cowens got.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 05:47:34 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

*Turner is said today to be the 10th Celtic to get a triple double, but since the game logs only go back on BRef to '86, not even this near quad-doub is included on the list. I can only imagine how many triple doubles Russell, Cousy, Havlicek, and Cowens got.

Yeah, I'm sure that the Celtics greats all had their share.  Cousy probably snuck some 10 rebound games in there, too. 

I only count nine with triple-doubles; who am I overlooking?

Larry
Rondo
Pierce
Antoine
Parish
Crawford
Gamble
Gomes
Turner

EDIT:  DJ.  He did it once in the playoffs.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 05:49:06 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
Bird was SO GOOD.  I am old so I remember the Bird-era and I went to a number of games at the old Garden (the only Garden), but there are times when I see clips of Bird and I am still amazed.  He was a nasty player. 
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 05:53:21 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I was young ,  I watched as much Celtics ball then as I could .  My dad was Bird crazy ..LOL

He hated Kareem and the Lakers with a serious passion. ... ;)

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 05:54:35 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Yeah, I'm sure that the Celtics greats all had their share.  Cousy probably snuck some 10 rebound games in there, too. 

Larry
Rondo
Pierce
Antoine
Parish
Crawford
Gamble
Gomes
Turner

My first reaction here was, "This few?!" Wow.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 05:55:08 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!

Larry
Rondo
Pierce
Antoine
Parish
Crawford
Gamble
Gomes
Turner

Russell? He never did?

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 05:56:36 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum

Larry
Rondo
Pierce
Antoine
Parish
Crawford
Gamble
Gomes
Turner

Considering the number of legendary Celtics, that is a pretty ugly list.  5 greats and 4 scrubs.   :o
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 06:00:41 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum

Larry
Rondo
Pierce
Antoine
Parish
Crawford
Gamble
Gomes
Turner

Considering the number of legendary Celtics, that is a pretty ugly list.  5 greats and 4 scrubs.   :o

5 Greats - Larry, Pierce, Antoine, Parish, Turner
4 Scrubs - Crawford, Gamble, Gomes, and Rondo

Sorry I couldn't resist. 

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2015, 06:26:28 PM »

Offline DKClassic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 177

Larry
Rondo
Pierce
Antoine
Parish
Crawford
Gamble
Gomes
Turner

Russell? He never did?
Not sure, but it wasn't an official stat until 1979-80 season

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2015, 06:28:26 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I assume you mean blocks weren't.

However, Russell did have multiple seasons in which he averaged close to 5 apg, so it's indeed somewhat surprising he never triple doubled.

He probably did, I'm guessing it's kind of hard to tell, judging by the state of game logs from that era.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2015, 06:37:29 PM »

Offline DKClassic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 177

However, Russell did have multiple seasons in which he averaged close to 5 apg, so it's indeed somewhat surprising he never triple doubled.

He probably did, I'm guessing it's kind of hard to tell, judging by the state of game logs from that era.
I'm just confused/probably wrong; I was under the impression that triple doubles weren't recorded officially until that season, but steals and blocks weren't recorded until 73-74.  But he definitely must of had a few in his career.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 06:49:18 PM by DKClassic »

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2015, 06:53:57 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Yeah, statistically, it would be shocking if he didn't have some triple-doubles, and if anecdotes are to be believed, some quadruple-doubles in there, too.

In 1967, for instance, he averaged 5.8 assists per game.  I'd be very surprised if he didn't hit 10 assists in some of those games, and the rebounds (21.0 per game) are almost a given.  Points were always iffy with Russell, but 10 isn't a high burden.

Russ did have a 26 point, 27 rebound, 20 block game in the last game of his college career.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2015, 07:07:03 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

Yeah, statistically, it would be shocking if he didn't have some triple-doubles, and if anecdotes are to be believed, some quadruple-doubles in there, too.

In 1967, for instance, he averaged 5.8 assists per game.  I'd be very surprised if he didn't hit 10 assists in some of those games, and the rebounds (21.0 per game) are almost a given.  Points were always iffy with Russell, but 10 isn't a high burden.

Russ did have a 26 point, 27 rebound, 20 block game in the last game of his college career.
20 blocks!!?? was no one on the opposing team taller than 5'5"?   ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2015, 07:49:19 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I like the part where it says Coach Layden lauded Bird for his strong play.

No kidding!!!