Author Topic: Celtics emerging as contender for dragic  (Read 41726 times)

Re: Celtics emerging as contender for dragic
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2015, 11:11:33 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
I really wish some of these rumors were associated with swingmen or 5s.  What's with the fascination with guards these days?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2015, 11:12:46 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
I wouldn't give Dragic more than 12-13 mil for 4 years. Danny can just go after him in the off-season without giving up any assets . The bird rights would just mean we are going to have to give him a max next year if we want to keep him .

« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2015, 11:13:03 AM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
At the very least, I'd like to see the Celtics involved here as a facilitator...I know some are tired of that angle, but it makes so much sense here.

Dragic wants to go to NY, LA or Miami according to reports. I'm not sure those teams have what Phoenix wants...This could be all an angle by McDonough and Ainge to get the Celtics at the table as part of a bigger deal.

Here's the ultimate question: Would you deal the Clippers 1st round pick, if it meant ridding yourself of the Wallace contract and helping another Eastern Conference team acquire Dragic? If I'm the Celtics and could throw in the Clips pick to alleviate the strain of Wallace's contract, it's worth doing.

There is no way I give up any type of first or second rounder to rid ourselves of Wallace's contract. Better to leave him where he is and teach the kids about work ethic and effort. Save him for trade deadline next year or just let him come off the books after next season
TP

Good things come to those who wait
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2015, 11:13:12 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I think Gorac would stay if DA convinces him this team will be built for a championship.. Sort of like when KG rejected the idea of being traded to Boston until Ray came along..

Quite frankly, if he prefers LA or NY as has been reported, sounds like winning isn't as high on his list of priorities as playing for a big market is.
Those were the teams from his list leaked. There were 7 teams on his list and we only know 3.

Of the leaks mentioning the C's, Stein said we're a "contender on the outside" which I take to mean C's aren't on that list. Why make it a point to say we're on the outside if he and his people had the C's high on their list? I honestly think that would've leaked by now - especially since it would paint the picture that the C's have a leg up and would likely drive up Phoenix's asking price.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2015, 11:14:55 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I wouldn't give Dragic more than 12-13 mil for 4 years. Danny can just go after him in the off-season without giving up any assets . The bird rights would just mean we are going to have to give him a max next year if we want to keep him .
You don't have to give the max salary to have a five year contract. See Gortat's deal for example.

Though you're right I don't think Dragic is going to be a good contract based on the numbers being thrown around currently. Those are probably his agent's numbers, but who knows it only takes one crazy team.

« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2015, 11:17:30 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
I don't understand going after Dragic with Smart already on board. Is that trade going to be Smart for Dragic? I hope not... But can those two players co-exist?

« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2015, 11:18:18 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I don't understand going after Dragic with Smart already on board. Is that trade going to be Smart for Dragic? I hope not... But can those two players co-exist?
Zach Lowe firmly stated that Smart wasn't on the table for Dragic.

« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2015, 11:19:56 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Unlike some other "pure PGs" we know, Goran Dragic is a guard that's not completely useless when he doesn't have the ball in his hands. He played with Thomas and Bledsoe, for crying out loud.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2015, 11:24:24 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Unlike some other "pure PGs" we know, Goran Dragic is a guard that's not completely useless when he doesn't have the ball in his hands. He played with Thomas and Bledsoe, for crying out loud.
Also Smart has been a great spot up shooter in the first half of the season so it's not like he can't play off the ball. At this point I think he's more of a 2 than a 1 since he rarely attacks the pick and roll off the dribble.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2015, 11:25:54 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!

But he doesn't like playing off the ball and is unwilling to adapt. Unlike some other "pure PGs" we know, that's why he's demanding a trade.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2015, 11:26:00 AM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
Stein just commented that Celtics not on his list but are still a major player in trading for him.. they have the assets and cap room for long term deal.. Im sure DA knows what he is doing..

« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2015, 11:28:58 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Stein just commented that Celtics not on his list but are still a major player in trading for him.. they have the assets and cap room for long term deal.. Im sure DA knows what he is doing..

His agent has already leaked that he's perfectly fine leaving a 5th year on the table and taking a 4 yr max from NY or LA this summer.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2015, 11:30:18 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I hear this news that even we've joined the pack of teams in on Dragic and can't help but think of those scenes in the Anchormans where the rival news teams keep showing up to fight.
So the fakers are Wes Mantooth's crew, right?

Jeanie Mantooth is a saint!
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2015, 11:30:35 AM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48

His agent has already leaked that he's perfectly fine leaving a 5th year on the table and taking a 4 yr max from NY or LA this summer.

Ainge will grab him and bank on convincing him to stay....he doesn't care if he has a commitment from him or not.  That's what makes DA good, he is completely fearless...

« Reply #74 on: February 18, 2015, 11:31:43 AM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587

Honestly we should only trade for him if we give up a future late first round pick, we have enough anyway if he leaves and there's the chance of convincing him to stay if we get him. I'm really not a fan of players with Dragic's mindset... we're better than both those teams but once again it's the "glamour of NY and LA."