Author Topic: Celtics emerging as contender for dragic  (Read 41461 times)

Re: Celtics emerging as contender for dragic
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2015, 09:59:57 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Lot of reply's here are putting AB in the mix but I think they missed the fact that the Suns are guard heavy and do not need or want a guard in return.

Not sure if they have any interest in Bass but we could add picks to that of course.

It's not just that they're guard-heavy.  They have three guards who are primarily on-ball players.  AB is not that kind of guard (even though the C's have tried for years).  He could play alongside Bledsoe or Thomas a lot more easily, and occupy the traditional 2-role.  He also obviously brings more defense.  Also, don't discount a GM's penchant for acquiring players with whom he's familiar.  McDonough came from the C's front office, and I believe had a major role in selecting Bradley.

Also, while Phoenix wants some help down low, they're looking more for low-post scoring, as opposed to Bass' mid-range game.  Sully I could see moving the needle for Phoenix, but not Bass any more than whatever other expirings they get offered from elsewhere (at which point it's a pick war, which we could still win if we wanted to, but means that we might as well just use the TPE).

« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2015, 10:22:56 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2015, 10:26:34 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
So, we traded an All Star PG that has an expiring contract for another expiring, near All Star talent and we may end up paying more than what we got for our All Star PG?

Unless Dragic commits to us 100%, I don't see the logic in this.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2015, 10:27:46 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
What does Phoenix want here?
A bidding war.

Sounds about right.

I'm starting to think that's what Danny wants too.  It seems like the C's are mentioned as "having shown interest" just about every time a significant player is on the block.

Now of course it would make sense that Danny is just going after anybody he thinks could be an asset, but now I'm starting to think Danny is that rival bidder on eBay.  He doesn't really want the item, but he just wants you to pay more, so he's trying to drive up the price. 

"Hmm, this guy is the only guy bidding on this item, and looks like he's going to get a bargain at $25.  I don't really have a need for this, but I'm pretty sure he's willing to go over $40 for this.  I'll just slowly increase my max bid until it gets to $40, don't want anybody but me getting any bargains..."  Definitely makes sense from an executive standpoint to try that strategy.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2015, 10:30:50 AM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
So, we traded an All Star PG that has an expiring contract for another expiring, near All Star talent and we may end up paying more than what we got for our All Star PG?

Rondo hasn't played like an All-Star in a long time, Dragic is an upgrade at this point and more importantly Smart and Dragic are a better fit than Rondo and Smart....

« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2015, 10:32:52 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Dragic is the superior player and the much better fit.

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2015, 10:33:56 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I don't think paying a premium to trade for Dragic is a good idea, especially because he will cost at least 4/80 to sign long term.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2015, 10:34:43 AM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
I have a feeling that Danny is not only seeing who is available, but also helping teams drum up interest and creating some bidding in the process

Danny is a first rate facilitator, and the more trades that happen, the more he can facilitate and get some minor pieces in the process
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2015, 10:34:56 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
PHX says the want some size. We could offer something around KO? I'm not sure Danny is all that inclined to do so. I am not saying we should move KO for him but he would probably be the starting point.

If dealing Olynyk means getting Dragic, I would personally drive Olynyk to the airport myself.

« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2015, 10:35:20 AM »

Offline Smittymks

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
I agree that Dragic/Smart is a better fit than Rondo/Smart.  I really think this has serious chance of happening.

I would think it would take the Clippers 1st and someone.
"My favorite ring? The next one"
TB12

« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2015, 10:38:12 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I'm not trading for an unrestricted free-agent who is about to get PAID and is not a player you use as a building block.

What do you mean "is not a player you can use as a building block"?

If you can extend him, then he becomes a HUGE building block.

It's time to start putting a winning team on the court, not worrying about building blocks or legos or whatever else.

« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2015, 10:39:40 AM »

Offline willyd24

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 8
This could just be a plow to get the Celtics involved as facilitators in the Dragic trade. For example, the Celtics could help facilitate a trade with the Suns and the Kings and maybe pick up Nik Stauskas in the process.

« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2015, 10:39:49 AM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
I don't think paying a premium to trade for Dragic is a good idea, especially because he will cost at least 4/80 to sign long term.

Actually, it would be more. If we have him on the roster by 3PM tomorrow we are eligible to offer him a 5 year max

« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2015, 10:40:41 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I'm not trading for an unrestricted free-agent who is about to get PAID and is not a player you use as a building block.

Right, but the "not a building block" part doesn't apply to Dragic.

Sorry, but he's not a guy you waste your salary cap on. He's a guy you add when you have a solid team or a group of good players and have cap space to spend on. We're not there yet. He's 28 and we're on a rebuilding process on top of it. He doesn't have the market and league appeal to attract other players.

Sorry but no, he's not a building block kind of player, it would be a waste of resources.

THAT said, if the Celtics plan on being over the cap next season, and try to keep Dragic using his Bird Rights (over the cap), which would in turn enable the Celtics to use Rondo's TPE on another player, then that would be a strategy worth considering.

« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2015, 10:41:22 AM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
Hmmm

I didn't realize he's an unrestricted free agent

I don't think it's worth it if he doesn't commit

Not a big fan of half year rentals unless we're contending for real..

Of course, if there are some other bigger trades in addition to this....
I trust Danny Ainge