Author Topic: Celtics emerging as contender for dragic  (Read 41722 times)

Re: Celtics emerging as contender for dragic
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2015, 09:32:43 AM »

Offline krumeto

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
What does Phoenix want here?

I'd guess Sully to start with. I read this one a couple of days ago - how much they need low post scorer.
http://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2015/2/15/8043497/phoenix-suns-offense-in-desperate-need-of-low-post-scoring
"We do so many defensive drills in practice, I come home and I'm putting the press on my woman, denying her the ball.
Y'all are laughing, but it's sad. I go home and deny the wing."

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2015, 09:33:17 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Lets not forget the return we got for Rondo. Mind u he never had his said he was leaving. With that said, a late 1st and either an expiring (Thornton, Prince, or Bass) or Bradley should get it done. We also have the TPE, although is rather keep it for someone else

A key factor is that Dragic is cheaper, which means more teams can match his salary.  The more potential buyers, the greater the price.  It only takes $5 million in outgoing salary to trade for Dragic if you're below the tax, and $5.9 million if you're above it.  Compare this to the $8.6 million and $10.2 million, respectively, it took in matching salaries to acquire Rondo.  Furthermore, Dragic's cap hold next season is less than the salary he will be seeking (and likely get).  So if you trade for him now, and you're a team that would have been able to sign him with cap room, you've created cap space.  Specifically, Dragic will probably get $18 million next year (don't laugh.  He will).  His cap hold is only $11.25 million, however.  So if the Celtics were to sign Dragic as a free agent, they'd need $18 million in space.  However, if they trade for Dragic, and agree to re-sign him, they can count him as $11.25 million against the cap while they use up the remainder, and then sign him to his deal with Bird rights, essentially creating about $7 million in cap space.  On the other side, Rondo took up the entire max salary with his hold.  Finances have a huge impact on trades, and accordingly, I would expect Dragic to be more valuable on the trade market.

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2015, 09:34:36 AM »

Offline Msimonetta2

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 7
I totally want Dragic, but Boston was not on the "list"....if his camp said he would not necessarily resign with us does that change things?  This could be Phoenix including us for the bidding war without us really being involved.

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2015, 09:34:42 AM »

Offline krumeto

• Al Horford
Dragic and Smart would be a really nice back court for the next 5 years....

A very nice backcourt, and a significant step out of this morass of "accumulating assets" back toward where this franchise needs to be.
Dragic is the kind of well-rounded player Stevens like. Smart takes the harder defensive assignment. Sounds like a good fit.
"We do so many defensive drills in practice, I come home and I'm putting the press on my woman, denying her the ball.

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2015, 09:37:06 AM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Dragic and Smart would be a really nice back court for the next 5 years....

A very nice backcourt, and a significant step out of this morass of "accumulating assets" back toward where this franchise needs to be.
Dragic is the kind of well-rounded player Stevens like. Smart takes the harder defensive assignment. Sounds like a good fit.

This is how I feel, They can both make 3's as well.  It would be nice having two player makers on offense from the guard positions....If this does happen I see DA making a strong push for D. Jordan in free agency...

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2015, 09:37:16 AM »

Offline krumeto

• Al Horford
Lets not forget the return we got for Rondo. Mind u he never had his said he was leaving. With that said, a late 1st and either an expiring (Thornton, Prince, or Bass) or Bradley should get it done. We also have the TPE, although is rather keep it for someone else

A key factor is that Dragic is cheaper, which means more teams can match his salary.  The more potential buyers, the greater the price.  It only takes $5 million in outgoing salary to trade for Dragic if you're below the tax, and $5.9 million if you're above it.  Compare this to the $8.6 million and $10.2 million, respectively, it took in matching salaries to acquire Rondo.  Furthermore, Dragic's cap hold next season is less than the salary he will be seeking (and likely get).  So if you trade for him now, and you're a team that would have been able to sign him with cap room, you've created cap space.  Specifically, Dragic will probably get $18 million next year (don't laugh.  He will).  His cap hold is only $11.25 million, however.  So if the Celtics were to sign Dragic as a free agent, they'd need $18 million in space.  However, if they trade for Dragic, and agree to re-sign him, they can count him as $11.25 million against the cap while they use up the remainder, and then sign him to his deal with Bird rights, essentially creating about $7 million in cap space.  On the other side, Rondo took up the entire max salary with his hold.  Finances have a huge impact on trades, and accordingly, I would expect Dragic to be more valuable on the trade market.
Great post!

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2015, 09:37:46 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Borderline all star PG about to be UFA that wants to be paid. Isn't the going rate for those a young Big/low 1st, backup player, low 1st rounder, and a 2nd rounder (Rondo haul).

I want Cs to pass on this one. As I'm not big on Dragic. C's need to save their ammo on a better player that can't walk in FA.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 09:42:49 AM by Csfan1984 »

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2015, 09:42:38 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2015, 09:43:35 AM »

Offline Kadin

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 29
Give them Bass and the clippers first rounder.

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2015, 09:45:17 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Lot of reply's here are putting AB in the mix but I think they missed the fact that the Suns are guard heavy and do not need or want a guard in return.

Not sure if they have any interest in Bass but we could add picks to that of course.

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2015, 09:49:59 AM »

Offline tyrone biggums

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
Give them Bass and the clippers first rounder.

This would be perfect. Then move Bradley for a young big.

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2015, 09:53:08 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I'm not trading for an unrestricted free-agent who is about to get PAID and is not a player you use as a building block.

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2015, 09:53:56 AM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
If we want Dragic this badly I have to think the plan is to mold Smart into the starting SG and backup PG... or DA is convinced he can later convince Dragic it would work with him and Smart at PG and wants the talent upgrade now... can't really blame that train of thought

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2015, 09:54:42 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
How do people think his game will age?  I think his type of game will age well.  He is 28, and will be 29 at the start of his new contract.  I think he could be the same type of player for at least another 3 or 4 seasons.  I'm wary of giving him the max for a borderline all star, but I think I would still roll the dice.

If we have to give up let's say 2 first round picks I'd rather them be our own picks, but maybe make them top 10 protected.  We will probably be a better team with Dragic, it gives us more incentive to not tank, and I'd rather root for other teams to lose with our other picks.  ;D Throw in Bass and we might have a deal. 

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2015, 09:59:25 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I'm not trading for an unrestricted free-agent who is about to get PAID and is not a player you use as a building block.

Right, but the "not a building block" part doesn't apply to Dragic.