Author Topic: RM owes Ainge one. Thomas could be a Celtic soon?  (Read 7370 times)

Re: RM owes Ainge one. Thomas could be a Celtic soon?
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2015, 07:24:02 PM »

Offline outflip50

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
Thomas is a professional basketball player and a very good one at that skill wise, but due to his size, he won't ever be a great starting guard.  He has openly complained about coming off the bench though and so us trading for him to bench him behind Smart and AB probably wouldn't sit too well with him.  I totally get his mindset, because if I were that good at something, I would want to be fully recognized for it, but his size is just such a limitation. 

Further, I don't think Bradley will get benched and I'd much rather have Smart get a lot of minutes and get some reps in.  Plus, Isaiah is 5'9.  I just don't see it working and I don't know why we would invest resources to add a player just because.

This guy is not a starter and we don't want a starter, we want a back up. He complained when he was in Sacto (imagine that) He hasn't muttered a word since being in Phoenix and has only started once (due to an injury) while playing in almost every game. I would much rather have this guy at 5' 9" handling the ball than Bradley or Turner, He carries things with him where the C's as a team struggle. He is above average as the keeper on the P&R. He can get in to the teeth of a D and raise havoc, which creates space for shooters. He can create his own shot and is capable of putting some points on the board. This also allows turner to play his natural position, which takes away the log jam at the 1/2. His contract is more than reasonable. On top of all this, it appears that Danny likes him. Seems like a win/win to me

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2015, 07:26:22 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Who's RM and what/why does he owe Ainge?
I don't follow half of the abbreviations that are used on the blog.

I assume Suns GM Ryan McDonough, and the favor being either the Brandan Wright trade or the time Ainge helped McDonough move a body back in the early aughts.

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2015, 07:33:40 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
The Suns have been all over the board on which one of Thomas or Dragic they want to give up. I think when they saw it was mostly western conference teams that wanted Dragic, they changed their minds.

It's Thomas.  And the Suns can't have almost 40 percent of their salary going to 3 pgs starting next season. They also have Ennis sitting on the bench. It doesn't make sense

Thomas may not start but could finish alot of games. Thomas, AB, Smart, Crowder or Turner plus a big in the 4th

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2015, 07:35:31 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
McDonough owes Ainge exactly nothing.

If Thomas is being traded he'll be traded to the team that gives the Suns the best return

And what team has been rumored to be interested??  Celtics were and I assume with Lawson off the table still interested plus have enough picks to make this deal happen.

RM gets a similar offer from a west team or Celts, who do you think he is going to deal with?

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2015, 08:30:01 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
The Suns have been all over the board on which one of Thomas or Dragic they want to give up. I think when they saw it was mostly western conference teams that wanted Dragic, they changed their minds.

Both Thomas and Dragic are unhappy with the three-PG roster.  The Suns clearly believe Dragic is better.  However, so do other teams, so Dragic is the more desirable trade target.

Not trading Thomas makes keeping Dragic harder and there are plenty of teams willing and able to sign him to a big contract.  If Phoenix finds Thomas difficult to trade, they vastly increase the risk that Dragic walks for nothing.  In that scenario, some people are in favor of trading your pending free agent so you are guaranteed to get something. 

What would you do if you couldn't trade Thomas without making a bad trade and you thought it was 50-50 Dragic stays?  Do you make the bad deal in order to keep Dragic?  Do you take your chances on re-signing Dragic while hoping you can get a better return for Thomas in June?  Do you try to move Dragic to avoid the 50% chance that he leaves? 
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2015, 08:31:07 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

If Thomas is being traded he'll be traded to the team that gives the Suns the best return

And what team has been rumored to be interested??  Celtics were and I assume with Lawson off the table still interested plus have enough picks to make this deal happen.

RM gets a similar offer from a west team or Celts, who do you think he is going to deal with?
Rumors.

How many of Ainge''s trades, big or small, that go down actually are in the rumor mill for a while before he pulls a string? Can you remember one besides KG?

When I hear how Ainge is rumored to be interested in someone to me that clearly signifies, nothing is going to happen. When his trades happen, there's almost no rumored warning.

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2015, 08:39:42 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
What Thomas is is a good PG alternative to Smart: Smart can handle the bigger players Thomas can't defend, and Thomas can better keep up with the little waterbug, speed-demon guards. He also is a very good backup PG generally.

But yeah, if he's not happy with his time and role with the Suns, how is Thomas going to be happier on the Celtics? I think it's only against every fourth opposing frontcourt that Smart and Thomas might be better than Smart and Bradley.

Danny could take him on as an asset stash, but that's a bit iffy on a couple of levels.

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2015, 08:41:16 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
I don't see him picking up many players at all......it has to be high upside and CHEAP.....somebody he can flip for better asset down the road .

Danny is selling and bargain shopping .

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2015, 08:49:13 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Rumors.

How many of Ainge''s trades, big or small, that go down actually are in the rumor mill for a while before he pulls a string? Can you remember one besides KG?

When I hear how Ainge is rumored to be interested in someone to me that clearly signifies, nothing is going to happen. When his trades happen, there's almost no rumored warning.

That's why this trade prediction may happen imo.  There has been zero rumors of Ainge being interested in Thomas recently as the trade deadline is getting near.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 08:55:44 PM by triboy16f »

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2015, 08:52:40 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
What Thomas is is a good PG alternative to Smart: Smart can handle the bigger players Thomas can't defend, and Thomas can better keep up with the little waterbug, speed-demon guards. He also is a very good backup PG generally.

But yeah, if he's not happy with his time and role with the Suns, how is Thomas going to be happier on the Celtics? I think it's only against every fourth opposing frontcourt that Smart and Thomas might be better than Smart and Bradley.

Danny could take him on as an asset stash, but that's a bit iffy on a couple of levels.

Honestly it doesn't matter if Thomas is not happy. He is not like a big time player. He should of known that there was not a good chance he was not going to start with the Suns.  Only if Bledsoe or Dragic left.  And the Suns want to keep both

Thomas may not be happier with the Celtics but should get more min on the court.  If he plays really well, could knock off AB or Smart from the starting rotation (not a real possibility in phx)

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2015, 09:23:56 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I like the idea of Bradley and Zeller for Isaiah and Miles Plumlee.

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2015, 09:41:50 PM »

Offline bballdog384

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 65
  • Rondolope
the line up would be

Celtics lineup:

Zeller C
Sully PF
Turner SF
Smart SG
Thomas PG

Bench
KO
Crowder
Prince/Young
Thornton
Bradley
Thomas

And to be honest I would have Crowder start over Turner. This shows us what we really have in Crowder and lets him progress, this also allow Turner to run the point when the bench is in which create a match up problem. I think its a very smart idea. It brings a big name to the team that might bring other or at least another BIG name in free agency and if not we hope for WCS in the draft which is pretty probable.  Its a win win I'm all in for Isiah Thomas.

Yessir I agree about Crowder. TP.

With Thomas starting at PG, you take replace Bradley with someone that can handle the ball. This has been Turners role in the starting line up - but with Thomas there, we need size and defense!   Especially with Smart at SG. The lineup of Thomas, Smart, and Crowder has a dynamic combination of size, scoring, and defense.
"You can't play like a robot" -Coach Stevens

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2015, 10:00:26 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
What we have in Crowder, gimme a break.    He plays hard D, but is an effort guy who maximizes his second round talent.  Only fools who think he is going to have a twenty point game every night, he has had one and other than that has been pretty hard nosed on D with average talent in other areas.

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2015, 10:27:20 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
What we have in Crowder, gimme a break.    He plays hard D, but is an effort guy who maximizes his second round talent.  Only fools who think he is going to have a twenty point game every night, he has had one and other than that has been pretty hard nosed on D with average talent in other areas.

Crowder is not a starter. He is a very nice off the bench forward. Especially if you want to play pressing defense.   Surprisingly a good 4th quarter /crunch time player to have on the court

The longer the game drags on, the faster the pace, the more tired everyone is, Crowder excels in these situations. But looks out of place at the start of the game

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2015, 06:02:36 AM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
I believe that the Suns will try move Thomas in order to suit dragic who they wish not to move

Dragic has been complaining about the 3 PG rotation and having the ball less in his hands. this is confirmed by the teams he wants to be traded to : NY, Miami, LAkers

If they were to move Thomas it could be in a salary dump
Despite being talented not many want Thomas
Knowing ainge and McDonough connection, they could make a deal to benefit both themselves 

To Suns: two 2nd round picks, tayshaun prince
to celtics: Thomas, bullock 

Why Suns
Suns get 2 draft picks as assets not sure that he would command a first rounder considering the depth at PG and that he is not considered as one of the elite PG. They get prince as a veteran presence for a young team hoping to be in the playoffs. Dump Thomas long contract and free up the guard depth position. this allows dragic to play more at the PG spot, hopefully making him happy enough to resign. and frees up money to resign dragic with more money as he would command a lot of attention from other teams like nY and lakers that have the cap room available.

Why celtics
We get 2 young players both with some potential. They both would be used as trade fodder next season in order to gain more draft picks.

I'm not convinced that ainge would trade for him as he is on a long contract and has previously expressed distaste at picking up contracts that go passed 2 seasons. I'm just going from trade rumours about ainge expressing interest in Thomas throuout this season and trade rumours. this is just what I see would be worth it for both teams.