Author Topic: Simple Raptors Trade Idea: Bass & Prince for Hayes, Fields & a pick  (Read 3905 times)

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
BOS gets: Fields, Hayes & the worse of TOR's 2016 1st rounders
TOR gets: Prince & Bass

Seems pretty simple to me. Makes sense for both sides. TOR has the worse of the Knicks & Nuggets picks in 2016, either of which is likely to be better than TOR's pick.... but either way the Cs get the lower of the two.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Re: Simple Raptors Trade Idea: Bass & Prince for Hayes, Fields & a pick
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 01:53:09 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
If that's what Ainge can get, I'd do it.

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 01:58:58 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
I would do it, both are UFA after this season so it would basically be for the pick, Celts could even buy them out to get more playing time for younger players
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 02:02:23 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Masai seems like way too shrewd a negotiator to leverage a first rounder for expiring peripheral players.  I'd imagine he figures he could target bigger and better fish with that pick.  For example, a Thaddeus Young.

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 02:07:29 PM »

Offline outflip50

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
Not so sure I would mess with chemistry for this deal.

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 02:19:37 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Masai seems like way too shrewd a negotiator to leverage a first rounder for expiring peripheral players.  I'd imagine he figures he could target bigger and better fish with that pick.  For example, a Thaddeus Young.

I don't see Young as a leading target there. I get that they'd like to land a Garnett or a David West, per Zach Lowe's article yesterday. But getting two plug-and-play professionals for such a low price at positions of need would presumably be attractive if they can't swing a better (more expensive) deal.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 02:45:49 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
A first isn't a low price.  Frankly, if Masai was interested, he should be telling Ainge that the $2.5 million saved in payroll should be enough to make the deal attractive without any picks and Boston should throw in a second.  Giving up a couple of second round picks instead of a first might still be too much from the Raptors' perspective.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 02:59:27 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54

Good point, but they are getting two plug and play players for 2 players that aren't nearly as good for their playoff push and giving up only a late 1st and gain no salary commitments past this season with their new players. Prince gives them better defense than they currently have (which is bad) and Bass gives them a player that IMO pairs well with Jonas V. 
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2015, 03:06:15 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
A first isn't a low price.  Frankly, if Masai was interested, he should be telling Ainge that the $2.5 million saved in payroll should be enough to make the deal attractive without any picks and Boston should throw in a second.  Giving up a couple of second round picks instead of a first might still be too much from the Raptors' perspective.
saving 2.5 mill is definitely not enough of a reason to give them 2 productive rotation players for 2 guys lucky to still be collecting NBA paychecks.  not by a long shot. 

Toronto would have to throw sweetener into the deal - a first would about right.  doesn't have to be for this year - could be for 2017 when we only have the one pick

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2015, 03:13:42 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182

Good point, but they are getting two plug and play players for 2 players that aren't nearly as good for their playoff push and giving up only a late 1st and gain no salary commitments past this season with their new players. Prince gives them better defense than they currently have (which is bad) and Bass gives them a player that IMO pairs well with Jonas V.

The issue is that late first could be used to trade for more significant players (or players with more favorable contract situations); after all, a late first brought Jeff Green to the Grizzlies.

Bass and Prince are two mediocre vets with expiring contracts.  Honestly, getting a second rounder or two for those guys should be considered a good return.

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2015, 03:23:36 PM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought Prince couldn't be combined with anyone else because he was obtained after a certain date. Am I close on this or way off?

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2015, 03:26:13 PM »

Offline outflip50

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
His restriction lifts the 19th. I don't know if that is the first day he can be traded with others or the last day that he can't be

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2015, 03:31:03 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
saving 2.5 mill is definitely not enough of a reason to give them 2 productive rotation players for 2 guys lucky to still be collecting NBA paychecks.  not by a long shot. 

Toronto would have to throw sweetener into the deal - a first would about right.  doesn't have to be for this year - could be for 2017 when we only have the one pick

A first is an overpay.  A couple of seconds, at most, sounds reasonable.

It really comes down to if the Celtics have a use for Bass/Prince this season and have any interest is re-signing either player this summer.  I happen to be perfectly happy with Bass and Prince getting playing time and possibly helping the Celtics reach the playoffs.  Other people might not be and are of the opinion that you should trade the vets for anything you can get.  Saving some money (that you might be able to use to purchase yet another second round pick in the future) might be the most you can get.

If the situation was reversed and the Celtics, as the current second seed in the East, were giving up two useless players and a first for a rental of two decent bench players, I'd be unhappy.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2015, 03:31:54 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

I agree.

We might be able to wangle something like swap rights between the TOR 1st and the CLE 1st, with TOR conveying a 2017 second rounder to us if we don't exercise the swap.

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2015, 03:35:54 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
Try to get a protected first. I posted last week that we should try to get James Johnson thrown in, he wasn't playing too much. He's played great in his last 3 games - especially against the Spurs. Now I'm guessing they will keep him.

If the point is to not make the playoffs, get a better draft position, and save a couple bucks, then take back a future 2nd.

If the goal going forward is to start competing, don't make the trade unless you can get a protected first or Johnson.