Author Topic: Terrence Ross available!  (Read 6300 times)

Re: Terrence Ross available!
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2015, 04:39:03 PM »

Offline DrJasper

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 71
The exclamation point seems a bit much.

That's fair to say  ;D
Memphis Grizzlies
PG: Dragic, Ball, Carter
SG: Temple, KCP, Holiday, Washburn
SF: Richardson, Anderson, Parsons, Casspi
PF: Jackson jr, Beasley, Watanabe
C: Adebayo, Green, Noah
https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/teams/Memphis-Grizzlies/14/Rosters/Regular/2019  +21 Lal 2nd

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2015, 04:44:03 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377

That's fair to say  ;D

Haha at least you didn't get mad at me. But yeah, for a league average wing with one more year before RFA, uh maybe I'd offer Philly's 2nd if I had no intention of trying to move up in the draft with it. Not sure Raptors go for that.

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2015, 04:44:03 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
He'd be an upgrade on Bradley with higher upside, but I don't think I'd give up too much to get him.  I'd rather look for an upgrade in the draft.
not sure how you see this. ross is only 3 months younger than bradley, so upside is a debatable topic in terms of age.

in terms of numbers, over the past two years bradley averaged pts/g 14.9 and 13.4. ross scored 10.9 and 10.3

next:
bradley 3.2 rbs/g 1.7 ast/g 1.0 stl/game and shooting is 46.9/35.2/81.8 this season.

ross 3.1 rbs/g 1.0 ast/g 0.6 stl/game and shooting is 46/36.8/80 this season.

both are very similar, though bradley does do slightly better in assists and steals. shooting is so close as to be amazing.

now, i don't know ross' game, but the posters above say he is not a good defender. defense is not really a question mark for bradley.

the biggest difference, aside from defense, seems to be salary. bradley makes $8 million/year for the next 3 years. ross makes only $3.5 million next year, then is a free agent. i have no idea how much he will make in his next contract.

so, i am happy to learn differently, but based on a cursory glimpse at stats, i don't see ross as being substantially better than bradley as a player. and i don't know what, if any, salary difference there will be once ross signs a new contract with the new salary cap.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2015, 04:44:17 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

TP. I laughed.

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2015, 04:44:53 PM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
Yeah I wounldnt trade for him unless we only gave up an expiring or Evan turner and a 2nd rounder

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2015, 04:46:33 PM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
Bradley is easily a better player
When judging players look at their niche
Bradley is good defensively

I can't really say Ross is good at anything but he has more potential because of his physique and athleticism

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2015, 04:50:44 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
He'd be an upgrade on Bradley with higher upside, but I don't think I'd give up too much to get him.  I'd rather look for an upgrade in the draft.
not sure how you see this. ross is only 3 months younger than bradley, so upside is a debatable topic in terms of age.

in terms of numbers, over the past two years bradley averaged pts/g 14.9 and 13.4. ross scored 10.9 and 10.3

next:
bradley 3.2 rbs/g 1.7 ast/g 1.0 stl/game and shooting is 46.9/35.2/81.8 this season.

ross 3.1 rbs/g 1.0 ast/g 0.6 stl/game and shooting is 46/36.8/80 this season.

both are very similar, though bradley does do slightly better in assists and steals. shooting is so close as to be amazing.

now, i don't know ross' game, but the posters above say he is not a good defender. defense is not really a question mark for bradley.

the biggest difference, aside from defense, seems to be salary. bradley makes $8 million/year for the next 3 years. ross makes only $3.5 million next year, then is a free agent. i have no idea how much he will make in his next contract.

so, i am happy to learn differently, but based on a cursory glimpse at stats, i don't see ross as being substantially better than bradley as a player. and i don't know what, if any, salary difference there will be once ross signs a new contract with the new salary cap.

Great point. And just like Bradley, Ross will in all likelihood come up with similar uncertainty about his ceiling, and Danny would need to decide how much he's worth based on the dreaded "unrealized potential." And we all remember how polarizing Bradley was...Ross in his current situation would be no different.

Plus, given how much the cap is set to rise and the fact that other teams might be bidding too, the right question very well could be "would you rather have Bradley in 2016-2018 at $8 million per year, or Terrence Ross over the same period at $11 million per year?"

Otherwise we'll have acquired him for nothing.

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2015, 05:09:05 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I remember he once scored 50 in a game, but his game seems like it has plateaued at age 24.  I would still chance on him though.  Maybe Ross, and you combine some of the dead weight on their team like Fields, Steisma, or Hansborough for 1 or 2 of our vets in Bass, Prince, or Thornton.

Just add to what I was saying before Prince or Thornton whichever they prefer for Fields and Ross fits perfectly for matching salaries.  Thornton or Prince are probably a little better than Ross is right now and fits Toronto's playoff push, with Ross with maybe a little upside left fits more into our rebuild.  Ross could be a better asset for us to use down the line.

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2015, 05:28:12 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I wouldn't consider Ross to be an upgrade over Bradley.

Zach Lowe has written that possible targets could be David West or Kevin Garnett.  They've been rumored to be looking for a quality big and are probably interested in packaging Ross, Jonas V, and a first for a big man who is better than West.

The Nuggets have reportedly been offering Afflalo/McGee for Brook Lopez.  Maybe the Nets would be interested in getting Ross and a first from Toronto for Lopez if Denver would send Afflalo and JJ Hickson or McGee to the Raptors.  Guys like Chuck Hayes and Landry Fields would be used as need to make the math work.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2015, 05:37:10 PM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 21
How about these trades?

Trade #1:

BOS receives: Ross, Hayes
TOR receives: Bradley, future 2nd round pick (non philly pick)

Analysis: Boston sends TOR a second round pick for getting Ross.

Trade #2:

BOS receives: Fields, 2015 1st round pick
TOR receives: Prince, future 2nd round pick (heavily protected)

Analysis: Prince nets the Celtics another 1st round pick in the 2015 draft. The Celtics give Toronto another 2nd round pick, only this time it is a heavily protected pick--with protections that make the pick unlikely to be conveyed. Either buyout or waive Fields.

TOR depth chart improves from this trade:

PG: Lowry/Vasquez/Williams
SG: Bradley/Williams/Vasquez/Caboclo
SG: Derozan/Prince/J. Johnson/Caboclo
PF: A. Johnson/Patterson/J. Johnson/Hansbrough
C: Valanciunas/Stiemsma/A. Johnson/Patterson

Maybe try and include Bass in the deal by asking for Hansbrough and a 2nd round pick? Bass would get playing time since Amir Johnson & Patrick Patterson can both play minutes at Center behind Valanciunas. Steimsma would likely be benched.

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2015, 09:08:06 PM »

Offline Ea2mon

• Open Roster Spot
  • Tommy Points: 0
I would definitely do something like AB, Turner and clippers pick for Ross, Hayes, and Landry Fields

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2015, 09:36:15 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantasybasketball/update/25070557/report-raptors-listening-to-offers-for-terrence-ross

Would you go after him? And what would you give up to get him?

The header is a little misleading.  Here's the first line of the article..  The Raptors are willing to part ways with forward Terrence Ross if the right deal is offered, sources told Grantland.com.

Most people are available if the price is right....

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2015, 11:13:04 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
raptors need help for the playoffs.

What about this trade idea

To Raptors: Prince, clippers 1st
To Celtics: Ross, Fields (waive)

Ross reminds me of Gerald Green. Super athletic but needs to refine his overall game. Decent shooting stroke

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2015, 12:26:49 AM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
raptors need help for the playoffs.

What about this trade idea

To Raptors: Prince, clippers 1st
To Celtics: Ross, Fields (waive)

Ross reminds me of Gerald Green. Super athletic but needs to refine his overall game. Decent shooting stroke

Resembling Gerald Green's game is a pretty bad thing, if we're talking about the guy who was out of the league by age 23 because all he could do was jump and shoot. Sadly that's the comp that came to my mind as well. I guess you hope he skips to the comeback phase.

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2015, 01:46:37 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Skip Ross. Focus on Young's development.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)