Author Topic: Per Marc Stein: Bucks plan to buyout Larry Sanders  (Read 23351 times)

Re: Per Marc Stein: Bucks plan to buyout Larry Sanders
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2015, 12:38:06 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
If Sanders is bought out Boston should give him a chance. He's really good.
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2015, 12:40:13 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I understood the problem with him is that he doesn't want to play basketball in the NBA anymore.  If that is the case a new team isn't going to change anything.  If he changes his mind and decides he really does want to play, why would he want to play on the Celtics over say Cleveland?  CLE seems perfect for him, smaller market (he doesn't seem like the Miami, LA, NYC type), but great team in terms of winning potential.

So they are just going to buy him out?  No going through waivers to see if someone else will take him?  That tells me he doesn't want to play anywhere.

To be clear, "buying him out" describes the agreement between Milwaukee and Sanders to end his contract.  By rule he is placed on waivers, and if he is not claimed (which he will not be), the buyout agreement takes effect.  Also, Sanders won't be giving up any money in this negotiation.  The buyout will settle the payout schedule (since he has multiple years left), the status of any contract bonuses (should any exist), and the amount that any future contracts Sanders signs will set off what Milwaukee owes him. Often that's a 50-50 split, so for instance if Sanders were paid $2 million next year, Milwaukee's obligation to Sanders would be reduced by $1 million.
OK, that clears it up (Thanks).

What makes everyone so sure no one will claim him?  I think hearing him say he wants to play really changes his value.  Maybe we should consider trading them Wallace for him.  I know the contract extends a couple of extra seasons beyond Wallace's but if Sanders is really ready to play again (and that is a big IF), it might be a risk worth taking.  Of course if the wanting to play is just lip service to get another contract, it would be a really bad idea.

And this whole buy out thing.  It is a great strategy for a player.  Sign a good deal, go home because you don't want to play anymore, team one "buys you out", team two signs you to another contract (now two teams are paying you) and repeat.  You can keep signing and going home until there is no one left who will sign you.

No one will claim him because he's owed $10 million a year for the next three years beyond this one, and because a team would need either cap room or a trade exception large enough to absorb his entire salary this year, not just what's left.  There are two teams with such ability -- the Celtics and Sixers.

Re: Larry sanders?
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2015, 12:43:05 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Didn't this kid get suspended for smoking marijuana?

If so I have no problem with him at all.  Sign him.  How can the NBA or any other league justify a suspension for a product that is legal in two of the states you have franchises.

Weed will be legal at the Federal level within 10 years, Colorado is a tremendous success, corporations are looking into selling weed, and nobody will ever care about it again or Sanders suspension for it.

I say sign him, Bucks loss is our gain.  These stories are so BS with the NBA making millions advertising beer and hard liquor on every telecast.
smoking marijuana? a bum, just like this guy.

http://articles.latimes.com/1993-02-12/sports/sp-1478_1_robert-parish
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2015, 12:46:55 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
No thx. Nobody is going to pick him up.

... there was league-wide interest in Josh Smith.  Someone will take a flyer on Sanders if they get to pick him up for cheap.

Josh smith was not kicked off the team for taking an illegal substance per nba standards.

Sanders is also against this standard/policy.

When was the last time you seen danny bring in problem players into the roster?

Depending on how you define it:
Marbury
Nate Robinson
Jordan Crawford
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2015, 12:47:35 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

... there was league-wide interest in Josh Smith.  Someone will take a flyer on Sanders if they get to pick him up for cheap.

Josh smith was not kicked off the team for taking an illegal substance per nba standards.

Marbury
Nate Robinson
Jordan Crawford

Rasheed Wallace?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2015, 12:49:34 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • bammokja
I understood the problem with him is that he doesn't want to play basketball in the NBA anymore.  If that is the case a new team isn't going to change anything.  If he changes his mind and decides he really does want to play, why would he want to play on the Celtics over say Cleveland?  CLE seems perfect for him, smaller market (he doesn't seem like the Miami, LA, NYC type), but great team in terms of winning potential.

So they are just going to buy him out?  No going through waivers to see if someone else will take him?  That tells me he doesn't want to play anywhere.

To be clear, "buying him out" describes the agreement between Milwaukee and Sanders to end his contract.  By rule he is placed on waivers, and if he is not claimed (which he will not be), the buyout agreement takes effect.  Also, Sanders won't be giving up any money in this negotiation.  The buyout will settle the payout schedule (since he has multiple years left), the status of any contract bonuses (should any exist), and the amount that any future contracts Sanders signs will set off what Milwaukee owes him. Often that's a 50-50 split, so for instance if Sanders were paid $2 million next year, Milwaukee's obligation to Sanders would be reduced by $1 million.
OK, that clears it up (Thanks).

What makes everyone so sure no one will claim him?  I think hearing him say he wants to play really changes his value.  Maybe we should consider trading them Wallace for him.  I know the contract extends a couple of extra seasons beyond Wallace's but if Sanders is really ready to play again (and that is a big IF), it might be a risk worth taking.  Of course if the wanting to play is just lip service to get another contract, it would be a really bad idea.

And this whole buy out thing.  It is a great strategy for a player.  Sign a good deal, go home because you don't want to play anymore, team one "buys you out", team two signs you to another contract (now two teams are paying you) and repeat.  You can keep signing and going home until there is no one left who will sign you.

No one will claim him because he's owed $10 million a year for the next three years beyond this one, and because a team would need either cap room or a trade exception large enough to absorb his entire salary this year, not just what's left.  There are two teams with such ability -- the Celtics and Sixers.
ooooo...first post on the merged thread.  ;D

saltlover, i THINK i just saw the salary as $11 million for three more years. but that is a small, small point.
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/sandela01.html

you beat me to the "if they claim him through waivers, you pay for him" point. but let's think about this. at $11,000,000 for three years that is not much given the salary cap is about to rise. picking him up off waivers would not hamper the celtics from bringing in free agents.

i am not sure whether sanders will ever play to his potential or not. and that is the key.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2015, 12:52:45 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
He doesn't like playing basketball.  This is kinda' important.

« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2015, 12:55:07 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White

In Milwaukee, apparently.

« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2015, 12:57:27 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Marbury
Nate Robinson
Jordan Crawford

Rasheed Wallace?

I feel like Sheed had more or less redeemed himself by the time he landed in Boston (Bill Simmons and Jail Blazers haters excepted), but sure, he fits. Jermaine O'Neal was involved in the Malice at the Palace, too. Keyon and Ray-Ray got into a fistfight way back when. So did Doc Rivers, actually.

In short, Ainge has no reservation about signing/hiring "problem players."
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2015, 12:57:37 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Marbury
Nate Robinson
Jordan Crawford

Rasheed Wallace?

Delonte West round 2.  Von Wafer.  Orien Greene.

Re: Larry sanders?
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2015, 12:58:42 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Didn't this kid get suspended for smoking marijuana?

If so I have no problem with him at all.  Sign him.  How can the NBA or any other league justify a suspension for a product that is legal in two of the states you have franchises.

Weed will be legal at the Federal level within 10 years, Colorado is a tremendous success, corporations are looking into selling weed, and nobody will ever care about it again or Sanders suspension for it.

I say sign him, Bucks loss is our gain.  These stories are so BS with the NBA making millions advertising beer and hard liquor on every telecast.
smoking marijuana? a bum, just like this guy.

http://articles.latimes.com/1993-02-12/sports/sp-1478_1_robert-parish

Smoking weed's not a problem, as you say plenty of better players than Sanders have done it.

Smoking weed in a way that interferes with your ability to do your job is very much a problem when discussing "hiring" a guy.  And I don't just mean getting suspended for failed drug tests, though that matters too; the weed seems to be intertwined with some deeper emotional/behavioral/motivational problems he has. 

That said it'd be wonderful to roll the dice on Sanders on a cheap deal, but I can't completely handwave the weed away just because I think the rules against it are stupid too.

« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2015, 01:01:07 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

ooooo...first post on the merged thread.  ;D

saltlover, i THINK i just saw the salary as $11 million for three more years. but that is a small, small point.
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/sandela01.html

you beat me to the "if they claim him through waivers, you pay for him" point. but let's think about this. at $11,000,000 for three years that is not much given the salary cap is about to rise. picking him up off waivers would not hamper the celtics from bringing in free agents.

i am not sure whether sanders will ever play to his potential or not. and that is the key.

I think hwangjini_1 is right, 3yr/11m isn't that bad all things considered. 

would love to see the C's claim him off waivers.  imagine getting a starting caliber C without burning any of our picks?!? 

leaves the door open to drop the godfather offer on Denver for Faried & Ty.

Lawson
Smart
Crowder
Faried
Sanders

that lineup has first round upset written all over it...

« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2015, 01:01:35 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346

How much more would doing it in Boston interest him?

« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2015, 01:04:52 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White

How much more would doing it in Boston interest him?

We'd have to ask him.

« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2015, 01:07:36 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • bammokja

Marbury
Nate Robinson
Jordan Crawford

Rasheed Wallace?

Delonte West round 2.  Von Wafer.  Orien Greene.
my gosh, i had forgotten about this guy. looks like some people never change. the title of the video i think says it all. heck, sanders is better than this.
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/13/von-wafer-hits-opponent-in-crotch-throws-chair-into-stands-in-chinese-basketball-game-video/
- Vandana Shiva