Author Topic: Per Marc Stein: Bucks plan to buyout Larry Sanders  (Read 23373 times)

Re: Per Marc Stein: Bucks plan to buyout Larry Sanders
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2015, 12:06:32 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I understood the problem with him is that he doesn't want to play basketball in the NBA anymore.  If that is the case a new team isn't going to change anything.  If he changes his mind and decides he really does want to play, why would he want to play on the Celtics over say Cleveland?  CLE seems perfect for him, smaller market (he doesn't seem like the Miami, LA, NYC type), but great team in terms of winning potential.

So they are just going to buy him out?  No going through waivers to see if someone else will take him?  That tells me he doesn't want to play anywhere.

« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2015, 12:08:37 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
From the Stein article:

The 26-year-old has been adamant that he wants to resume his NBA career despite the personal struggles that have resulted in two league suspensions in less than a year.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2015, 12:10:58 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
From the Stein article:

The 26-year-old has been adamant that he wants to resume his NBA career despite the personal struggles that have resulted in two league suspensions in less than a year.
Vin Baker said that, too.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2015, 12:14:29 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
So they are just going to buy him out?  No going through waivers to see if someone else will take him?  That tells me he doesn't want to play anywhere.

When somebody is bought out they still go through waivers.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2015, 12:14:29 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
From the Stein article:

Vin Baker said that, too.

hold on now, Larry has a different vice and MA is a medical state...might be a good fit.

« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2015, 12:17:31 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja

When somebody is bought out they still go through waivers.
thanks roy for the info. a quick follow up for you, in the nba how does the waiver procedure work? do teams line up based upon order of suck and then say either yea or nay in turn?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2015, 12:19:12 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I understood the problem with him is that he doesn't want to play basketball in the NBA anymore.  If that is the case a new team isn't going to change anything.  If he changes his mind and decides he really does want to play, why would he want to play on the Celtics over say Cleveland?  CLE seems perfect for him, smaller market (he doesn't seem like the Miami, LA, NYC type), but great team in terms of winning potential.

To be clear, "buying him out" describes the agreement between Milwaukee and Sanders to end his contract.  By rule he is placed on waivers, and if he is not claimed (which he will not be), the buyout agreement takes effect.  Also, Sanders won't be giving up any money in this negotiation.  The buyout will settle the payout schedule (since he has multiple years left), the status of any contract bonuses (should any exist), and the amount that any future contracts Sanders signs will set off what Milwaukee owes him. Often that's a 50-50 split, so for instance if Sanders were paid $2 million next year, Milwaukee's obligation to Sanders would be reduced by $1 million.

« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2015, 12:26:36 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I will predict he will sign with Bucks... ;D

Re: Larry sanders?
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2015, 12:26:54 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
I like Larry Sanders. He doesn't seem like a bad guy he just seems misunderstood. If he is bought out I would give him an offer. He is really good and fits what we need.
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2015, 12:28:20 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Sanders could be taking a haircut on the buyout, that's a negotiable thing. But in this sort of situation the player doesn't have a ton of motivation to take much of a discount.

« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2015, 12:29:16 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Sign him!
Yeah, why not take a swing at him.

I think a lot of teams will be saying that though, it will be interesting to see where he ends up.

« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2015, 12:33:59 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

To be clear, "buying him out" describes the agreement between Milwaukee and Sanders to end his contract.  By rule he is placed on waivers, and if he is not claimed (which he will not be), the buyout agreement takes effect.  Also, Sanders won't be giving up any money in this negotiation.  The buyout will settle the payout schedule (since he has multiple years left), the status of any contract bonuses (should any exist), and the amount that any future contracts Sanders signs will set off what Milwaukee owes him. Often that's a 50-50 split, so for instance if Sanders were paid $2 million next year, Milwaukee's obligation to Sanders would be reduced by $1 million.

SL, am I wrong: a TPE can be used to submit a bid on a waived player, so long as his salary fits within the value of the TPE?

I know this can be done with cap space, and I think it can be done with the MLE, so I assume a TPE would work, but am not sure.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2015, 12:36:11 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

OK, that clears it up (Thanks).

What makes everyone so sure no one will claim him?  I think hearing him say he wants to play really changes his value.  Maybe we should consider trading them Wallace for him.  I know the contract extends a couple of extra seasons beyond Wallace's but if Sanders is really ready to play again (and that is a big IF), it might be a risk worth taking.  Of course if the wanting to play is just lip service to get another contract, it would be a really bad idea.

And this whole buy out thing.  It is a great strategy for a player.  Sign a good deal, go home because you don't want to play anymore, team one "buys you out", team two signs you to another contract (now two teams are paying you) and repeat.  You can keep signing and going home until there is no one left who will sign you.

« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2015, 12:36:32 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
1) Can the two Sanders threads be merged?

2) I've been trumpeting Milwaukee as a landing spot for Bass for a month.  This clears a roster spot devoted to a frontcourt player.  I'm fairly sure they have the cap room to absorb him outright.

(And yes, I know they signed Kenyon Martin, but at this point in their careers, Bass and Martin aren't comparable.)

« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2015, 12:37:56 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
No thx. Nobody is going to pick him up.

... there was league-wide interest in Josh Smith.  Someone will take a flyer on Sanders if they get to pick him up for cheap.

Josh smith was not kicked off the team for taking an illegal substance per nba standards.

Sanders is also against this standard/policy.

When was the last time you seen danny bring in problem players into the roster?