Author Topic: Nikola Pekovic available...  (Read 4858 times)

Nikola Pekovic available...
« on: February 16, 2015, 08:54:10 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
I don't not much about him... could he be the rim protector we need?

Alex Kennedy: Sources believe Minny's veterans could be had for the right price. That means Thaddeus Young, Kevin Martin, Nik Pekovic, etc. may be deal - See more at:

http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.vNGyi3ci.dpuf

Re: Nikola Pekovic available...
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 08:56:52 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Definitely not a rim protector. Mostly an offensive minded center.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 09:16:50 AM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
I don't like the fit with the Celts as currently constituted, he is a defensive liability but is a scorer, I would prefer a defensive player over a scorer at the center position for this team. 
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 09:20:45 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I like Pekovic, but he is very injury prone and not all that young any more.  If it doesn't take a whole lot to get him, then he is absolutely worth the shot, but I wouldn't sell the farm to get him either.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 10:06:46 AM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I agree with those who've replied...he's not a good interior defender.

Although one wonders about the Minnesota defensive scheme (they have?) and if that contributes to his rim protection deficiencies.

When I look at the advanced stats for Gorgui Dieng, he also does not grade as a quality interior defender, yet the eye test might prove otherwise.

But I would shy away from him.

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 10:35:07 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Despite the fact that he is an absolute beast of a human being he is certainly not a rim protector. Agree with others as he doesn't fit with our current Celtics squad. Plus he's got a lot of money owed to him over the next couple years.

Slow, low mobility, big money, and injury prone isn't what we're looking for.

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 10:48:02 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Do guys want big slow guys, what is with all the love of Kanter and this guy, no thanks.

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 11:05:18 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Do guys want big slow guys, what is with all the love of Kanter and this guy, no thanks.

Kanter is actually pretty athletic.

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2015, 11:12:53 AM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76

Maybe because they are both better than anyone we have playing center now. 
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2015, 11:19:37 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

Do you think, so ?   Watch this and tell me that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNNxp9XFuKo

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Enes-Kanter-5168/

Pretty average scores, get out more perhaps?

So you want to hamstring our future just to make the playoffs this year?   Brillant!  NOT!

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2015, 11:32:50 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

So you want to hamstring our future just to make the playoffs this year?   Brillant!  NOT!

What exactly does the video show? That a max vert of 32.5 is supposedly bad for a guy 7-0 260 lb? Blake G. had a 35.5 and Cousins a 27.5 for comparison. You saying that Kanter and Pek are slow and unathletic makes it easy to see you haven't seen Kanter play. He's not a DeAndre Jordan type athlete, but he is pretty athletic, runs the court well, and is very mobile for his size.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqTX2U8d8RM
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 11:49:20 AM by Eddie20 »

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2015, 11:38:47 AM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76

No need to be a wiseass about it.  The question was why the love for Kanter and Pekovic and I provided a possible answer...that they are better than any center we have.  I never said anything about doing anything to "hamstring our future" so there's no need to get your panties in a bunch. 

Regarding the draft video and draft stats....I would rather look at what the player is actually doing in the NBA now vs what was projected.  Kanter is a decent center.  Nobody said that he is Bill Russell. 
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2015, 12:09:55 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
What exactly does the video show? That a max vert of 32.5 is supposedly bad for a guy 7-0 260 lb? Blake G. had a 35.5 and Cousins a 27.5 for comparison. You saying that Kanter and Pek are slow and unathletic makes it easy to see you haven't seen Kanter play. He's not a DeAndre Jordan type athlete, but he is pretty athletic, runs the court well, and is very mobile for his size.
I'm guessing everyone is holding out for this elusive 300-lbs 7-footer with 40in vertical who can bang with Dwight, take guys off the dribble, and make jump shots and free throws. It seems any other solution is considered "hamstringing" the team.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2015, 01:23:01 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
I'm guessing everyone is holding out for this elusive 300-lbs 7-footer with 40in vertical who can bang with Dwight, take guys off the dribble, and make jump shots and free throws. It seems any other solution is considered "hamstringing" the team.
you forgot that he also needs to block 4 shots a game and shoot 44% from 3 point land. only that sort of a player would be an improvement over the current players at center for the celtics.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2015, 01:49:47 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
He is basically an older version of Kanter. Kanter has more upside, but neither are cornerstone players for the franchise.