Author Topic: Isaiah Thomas odd man out in Phoenix (hoopshype.com)  (Read 21310 times)

Re: Isaiah Thomas odd man out in Phoenix (hoopshype.com)
« Reply #75 on: February 15, 2015, 07:11:07 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
One the one hand, Demarcus Cousins said that the ball was moving better and wasn't sticking as much with Collison as the new PG in Sacramento.  On the other hand, it was DMC who said that.

I wouldn't read too much into Ainge calling Thomas first as a free agent.  It doesn't sound like negotiations ever got serious.  I have a strong suspicion that Ainge either called Thomas and maybe some other guards to figure out how much he should offer Bradley or he was kicking the tires on a potential sign-and-trade as part of a Rondo deal.

I wouldn't trade Bradley for Thomas with the intention of starting Smart/Thomas.  I wouldn't give up a first for Thomas.  I would be okay with acquiring Thomas to come off the bench behind Bradley and Smart.  I think it would be interesting to see if Stevens put Thomas/Bradley/Smart on the floor together the way Phoenix sometimes puts Dragic/Thomas/Bledsoe out there. 

I have my doubts about Thomas being content with a sixth man role, even if he gets starter minutes.  Thomas seemed to be at the center of most of the locker room tension in Sacramento.  It would take some research to figure out if he was a problem or if he was the good guy and players like Cousins and Gay are the guys with toxic attitudes.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #76 on: February 15, 2015, 07:47:42 PM »

Offline howl1309

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4
I have gone back and forth on IT. My initial reaction was he would add a lot to this team (scoring, p&r efficiency, isolation). Other then being short, he brings a ton to the table. After a bit of digging, he seems to have caused some friction in the Kings lockerroom last year due to his reluctance to share the ball. This may be true and it may not. The Kings always seem to be a mess! I have reservations adding him into the mix. Does he fit a ball movement offense?

The bottom line is this team needs talent. If the team thinks he can be molded under the direction of CBS, then I'm in.

« Reply #77 on: February 15, 2015, 08:46:00 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Isiah can play but he is short and that will cause problems on D.   What is up with this blog's fascination with tweeners and small guy?

FACT:  LARGE hearts trump small stature all day long, 7 days a week, 365 days per year!!

Smitty77

« Reply #78 on: February 15, 2015, 08:46:27 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
Isiah can play but he is short and that will cause problems on D.   What is up with this blog's fascination with tweeners and small guy?

I think the blog is fascinated with good players but some people get mesmerized by height as if that's the only factor.  There is a similar obsession with "rim protectors".

Well said!!!

« Reply #79 on: February 15, 2015, 08:48:06 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
I have gone back and forth on IT. My initial reaction was he would add a lot to this team (scoring, p&r efficiency, isolation). Other then being short, he brings a ton to the table. After a bit of digging, he seems to have caused some friction in the Kings lockerroom last year due to his reluctance to share the ball. This may be true and it may not. The Kings always seem to be a mess! I have reservations adding him into the mix. Does he fit a ball movement offense?

The bottom line is this team needs talent. If the team thinks he can be molded under the direction of CBS, then I'm in.

Hmmm.  6.3 assists I believe led that team, correct??

Smitty77

« Reply #80 on: February 15, 2015, 08:50:09 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

And Cousins PER was 1.9 points higher LAST year than it is this year with Collison.

Smitty77

« Reply #81 on: February 15, 2015, 08:53:31 PM »

Offline howl1309

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4
smitty. I think it makes a ton of sense to go after him. The locker room stuff is just a question mark that needs to be answered. I think we could use a player of his quality.

« Reply #82 on: February 15, 2015, 09:37:48 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

FACT:  LARGE hearts trump small stature all day long, 7 days a week, 365 days per year!!

Smitty77

Tell that to the idiots who think Avery Bradley is too small to be a starting SG.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #83 on: February 15, 2015, 10:52:06 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Smitty77

Tell that to the idiots who think Avery Bradley is too small to be a starting SG.

A bit of a harsh comment, don't you think?

Not everyone is going to agree with everyone on everything.

« Reply #84 on: February 15, 2015, 11:00:50 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76

Smitty77

I think more people have commented on AB's lack of talent more than his lack of height. 
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #85 on: February 16, 2015, 02:52:57 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

Smitty77

I think more people have commented on AB's lack of talent more than his lack of height.

Nah it was lack of height.

« Reply #86 on: February 16, 2015, 04:59:12 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
The ceiling for Isiah's Career is probably similar to Kyle Lowry. Be overlooked in the draft, gain a reputation for being something of a ball hog and an issue in the locker room until teams start realizing that he brings the same level of play consistently every day.

It took Lowry years to find the right situation we'll see if Isiah ever will.

« Reply #87 on: May 02, 2015, 02:12:14 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
Liked reading through this thread after the season, kind of funny now.  Enjoy.
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #88 on: May 02, 2015, 04:44:59 PM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
Thanks for the ride :)

« Reply #89 on: May 02, 2015, 05:14:05 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
If you ask me, the Isaiah Thomas deal is just another example of Danny showing his brilliance as a gm. A 20+ point scorer was on the market and the best part was he was attainable for hardly anything. It didn't matter what direction Ainge wanted the Celtics to go this season. He had an opportunity to strike gold and he took it. He flat out stole Isaiah Thomas away from the Suns and showed the league how to use him properly.

The best part is from here on out, Isaiah Thomas will either be a very valuable piece as the Celtics go back into contention or he can be a valuable trade asset as the Celtics build towards the future. Great work Mr. Ainge!