Author Topic: Isaiah Thomas odd man out in Phoenix (hoopshype.com)  (Read 21308 times)

Re: Isaiah Thomas odd man out in Phoenix (hoopshype.com)
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2015, 02:29:41 PM »

Offline outflip50

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
What about this trade:  http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=oy7ups3

Bradley, Pressey, and a couple of seconds for IT and Plumlee?  Thoughts? Plumlee hasn't been playing as much as last season, but this could leave them a little short on the front court, I tried to use Randolph instead of Pressey but couldn't find a way to have that work.

I would take it in a heartbeat, problem is Phoenix has directly stated they want size back for a guard, Dragic or Thomas ... makes it a non-starter for the Suns

« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2015, 02:34:57 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
He's a midget. Destined to have a Earl Boykins type career where he comes off the bench and scores a bunch while being a defensive liability.

Funny, I don't EVER remember Boykins having about a +20 PER and being in the top 15 in real plus/minus.  How can you be such a BAD defender and still be so high on that plus/minus???

Smitty77
Interesting.  I know Thomas puts up stats, but I thought he was a NateRob type that is best used off the bench.

« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2015, 05:56:31 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
He's a midget. Destined to have a Earl Boykins type career where he comes off the bench and scores a bunch while being a defensive liability.

Funny, I don't EVER remember Boykins having about a +20 PER and being in the top 15 in real plus/minus.  How can you be such a BAD defender and still be so high on that plus/minus???

Smitty77
Interesting.  I know Thomas puts up stats, but I thought he was a NateRob type that is best used off the bench.

While he was in Sac, Thomas defended bigger than his size and as for shot selection he shoots alot but there better shots than Nate Rob ever did. He still should probably be used off the bench but he's an NBA caliber scorer a better option than most we have available.

« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2015, 06:06:22 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968

Bradley, Pressey, and a couple of seconds for IT and Plumlee?  Thoughts? Plumlee hasn't been playing as much as last season, but this could leave them a little short on the front court, I tried to use Randolph instead of Pressey but couldn't find a way to have that work.

I would take it in a heartbeat, problem is Phoenix has directly stated they want size back for a guard, Dragic or Thomas ... makes it a non-starter for the Suns

They can have Bass .....and cash incentive to take him.......Thomas for Bass works for me. ;D

« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2015, 06:17:46 PM »

Offline outflip50

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11

They can have Bass .....and cash incentive to take him.......Thomas for Bass works for me. ;D

They can have Bass and Cleveland's #1 in 2016 as far as I am concerned

« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2015, 07:29:07 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568

Smitty77

Yeah, take a look at some of his advanced offensive numbers. He's closer to Kyrie Irving than he is Earl Boykins.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2015, 07:42:27 PM »

Offline Rakulp

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 78
Thomas is a Plan B trade scenario.

Plan A is the rim protector we've needed for years.

Get that...then we'll talk.

Rak

So do you believe that Dragic is a near max player? The Lakers have already said they are willing to go there or close to it. So we should go sign this guy as a main building block, when he will be on the wrong side of 30? Are we willing to sign this guy for 12-15 million a year when we are not even close?

A max player...no. 

What we pay Bradley now...yes.

But my biggest point was that there will be plenty of time to look at other pieces of the puzzle...what we need first is that great rim protector to build around.  Not sure Kanter fits the bill, but believe he would be an upgrade if we can arrange a relatively fair trade and sign him to an extension in the process.

After that, we can look at other options like Dragic or Thomas or (fill in the blank with name of any other reported trade bait).

We're six days away from the trading deadline...this should be a fun week! :)

Rak

« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2015, 07:48:42 PM »

Offline Yenohb

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 73
Thomas is an excellent fit together with Bradley and Smart IMO

- Very efficient and Versatile Scorer - Does not excel only on ISOs but also on spot up situations; 43%FG 39%3P and goes to the line 4 times a game 87%FT
- Bradley and Smart can focus more on defense while IT takes care of the offense.
- above average passer; not a ball hog and takes care of the ball well due to excellent handles.

his only weakness is on defense which i think Smart and AB can mask.

25 yrs old @ 7m a year? I say Yes!

Here's a good watch, BBallBreakdown comparing Isaiah Thomas's efficiency to that of Kyrie Irving's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htiURZVuoks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ofiEqogb8w

« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2015, 08:42:37 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
IT on Skills Challenge right now on TNT!

« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2015, 08:59:56 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas

Just lost to Patrick Beverly?!?!

« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2015, 09:22:19 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269

And this is usually predictive of the BEST PG's?:-)))  Who cares.

Smitty77

« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2015, 10:29:04 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Not interested in any of these mediocre level guys taking up any cap room.
Would never give up a first round pick either.

There is just no need to have a guy like this on our roster.
He's a massive defensive liability and takes shots away from Smart and our other young guys.

Nice back up PG but not what we need.
We've already signed Bradley to a long term deal and we just don't these guys on our roster and we look to clear as much cap room as possible.

Dragic and Thomas are both way over rated in my opinion and they don't do anything 'elite'.
They are both good, solid NBA players and Dragic is a legitimate starter in the NBA. Thomas is a bench PG and great role player, but we are trying to remove these contracts from our roster to gain future flex.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2015, 11:03:57 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269

He's a massive defensive liability and takes shots away from Smart and our other young guys.

We've already signed Bradley to a long term deal and we just don't these guys on our roster and we look to clear as much cap room as possible.

Dragic and Thomas are both way over rated in my opinion and they don't do anything 'elite'.
They are both good, solid NBA players and Dragic is a legitimate starter in the NBA. Thomas is a bench PG and great role player, but we are trying to remove these contracts from our roster to gain future flex.

I am sorry Chambers, but back up PG's simply do not have 19.7 PER's.  He was about as good as a starter with the Kings last year as well.  This is NOT a one year anomaly!!  I.T. is 15th among PG's in real plus minus this year.  We need scoring.  Did you watch the uploaded videos analyzing his game?  If not, take 15 minutes and watch BOTH of them!!  We have to have some players to attract players to want to even come to Boston so we can take advantage of that future flexibility that you refer to.  Players simply are NOT beating the doors down to want to come and join this team are presently constructed.

You seriously would not try to pick up I.T. for Bass and a late first rounder?  He will only cost us 6.9 million next year, 6.6 million in 2016/2017, and 6.3 million in 2017/2018.  With the new TV deal, that will be a STEAL for a guy that can be a GREAT spark off the bench!!!

Smitty77

« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2015, 11:26:12 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas

And this is usually predictive of the BEST PG's?:-)))  Who cares.

Smitty77

Just for the record, I'm all for acquiring IT.

I was just letting folks know that the subject of this thread (IT) was on TV (that was my first post) and then the result (2nd post).

I wasn't being judgmental (because being judgmental kinda sucks)  ;)nor drawing any conclusion about the value of a player based on a dumb-ass exhibition/competition.

EDIT:Smitty,  It's funny but I've agreed with almost everything that you have proffered in this thread, except the suggestion that I was implying that IT's performance relates to his value to us.

TP for the thread, by the way. From your lips to Danny's ears, but as we all know, IT was important enough to DA to get that first call in FA.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 11:44:08 PM by csfansince60s »

« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2015, 11:43:46 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76

I am sorry Chambers, but back up PG's simply do not have 19.7 PER's.  He was about as good as a starter with the Kings last year as well.  This is NOT a one year anomaly!!  I.T. is 15th among PG's in real plus minus this year.  We need scoring.  Did you watch the uploaded videos analyzing his game?  If not, take 15 minutes and watch BOTH of them!!  We have to have some players to attract players to want to even come to Boston so we can take advantage of that future flexibility that you refer to.  Players simply are NOT beating the doors down to want to come and join this team are presently constructed.

You seriously would not try to pick up I.T. for Bass and a late first rounder?  He will only cost us 6.9 million next year, 6.6 million in 2016/2017, and 6.3 million in 2017/2018.  With the new TV deal, that will be a STEAL for a guy that can be a GREAT spark off the bench!!!

Smitty77

Smitty,
I'm with you.   IT would be a great addition to the C's.  But I have to admit that having someone named "Isaiah Thomas" in a Celtics uniform gives me the creeps. 

Now, if they can get Plumlee too, that would be a bonus. 
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.