Author Topic: Isaiah Thomas odd man out in Phoenix (hoopshype.com)  (Read 21312 times)

Re: Isaiah Thomas odd man out in Phoenix (hoopshype.com)
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2015, 01:14:43 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
I think Thomas would be a perfect addition to this team as a 6th man. Our biggest problem is scoring, Thomas would come on the team and immediately be the best scorer on our team.

The question is what will it cost to obtain him? If we can get him for Bass and a late first like the CLippers then I think that would be a steal. We probably aren't going to draft someone better than him with the Clippers pick or sign someone better than him for the same amount of money in the offseason.

That's what he is on a good team, a 6th man not a starter.  They are grooming Smart to be a PG and I don't think they will change that focus. 

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2015, 01:16:59 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I think Thomas would be a perfect addition to this team as a 6th man. Our biggest problem is scoring, Thomas would come on the team and immediately be the best scorer on our team.

The question is what will it cost to obtain him? If we can get him for Bass and a late first like the CLippers then I think that would be a steal. We probably aren't going to draft someone better than him with the Clippers pick or sign someone better than him for the same amount of money in the offseason.

The hope is that we would sign someone better than him for more money in the offseason.  Having him on the roster could preclude that opportunity.  I could see Ainge trading for Thomas in the offseason if free agency doesn't work out, but it's pretty clear the plan is to keep as much room free as possible for major acquisitions, and I don't think Thomas is major enough.

« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2015, 01:17:48 PM »

Offline Msimonetta2

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 7
I take this as a potentially good sign that Phoenix has not liked the offers they have gotten for Dragic.  Which is fine by me as I'd like to target him this summer.  Pass on I. Thomas.   

« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2015, 01:19:02 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Danny will not pursue Thomas imo

If a deal was to be made it would of happened when we traded Wright to the suns.

AB and Smart for now is the backcourt pair of the future

« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2015, 01:19:13 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
I don't think people hate to straight swap of Thornton or Bradley but any suggestion picks get add for them it's a, no thanks.

I would give them one of our many seconds to go along with AB.  We would simply HAVE TO include a late first with Thornton for them to even listen.

Smitty77

« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2015, 01:19:15 PM »

Offline truthhurts34

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 11

This is why I feel a Bradley for Thomas swap is most realistic.

Take into consideration this, if Thomas is acquired for a big(hypothetically) then we will have a big logjam which in turn stunts Smart's growth. Even Young's...

In turn Bradley would be the odd man out. Smart is the future more so than Avery and Thomas frees up the SG position for both Smart and Young to platoon.

We also would never have to see Turner playing point again.

Thomas/Smart
Smart/Young
Crowder/Turner
Sullinger/Olynyk
Zeller

Then we go after Monroe and a real SF this summer with the 30+ million we have in cap space.

« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2015, 01:20:52 PM »

Offline truthhurts34

• The Green Kornet
Danny will not pursue Thomas imo

If a deal was to be made it would of happened when we traded Wright to the suns.

AB and Smart for now is the backcourt pair of the future

says who? Thomas was reportedly the first FA Ainge called this past summer.

« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2015, 01:25:27 PM »

Offline outflip50

• Payton Pritchard
I don't think people hate to straight swap of Thornton or Bradley but any suggestion picks get add for them it's a, no thanks.

I would say it depends more on the when and where of the pick. The Cleveland pick does not carry a lot of value imo, as it will most likely be a 28-32 pick in 2016 at the earliest. 

« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2015, 01:29:49 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

I would give them one of our many seconds to go along with AB.  We would simply HAVE TO include a late first with Thornton for them to even listen.

Smitty77
I disagree. AB adds better Defense for them and is okay at running and gunning so why give a pick? Thornton is a good player and $ off the books which is good since they have to resign Dragic and still compete. See no need to add a pick at all.

« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2015, 01:53:09 PM »

Offline outflip50

• Payton Pritchard
Why does everyone keep talking about trading Bradley? Phoenix has clearly stated they want size, not another guard back. The thread is titled "Isaiah Thomas odd man out in Phoenix " So I would think that now we are talking about IT and not Dragic, or did I miss something?

Thomas is a new set of circumstances. We need a scoring punch and we need a "real " back up point guard. Add to this the fact that IT is reasonably priced (7 mil) and under control for 3 years after this and it seems like an above average match for us, without giving up the farm. Then the fact that this was Danny's first call during free agency and I can't find a reason why Danny wouldn't be willing as long as they don't want the farm. I would certainly be more than agreeable to giving up the Cleveland first or less so, the Memphis pick for him.

To me the problem is the size if they are not agreeable to Bass, maybe send him to Utah with the first so they send Kanter to Phoenix?

« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2015, 01:59:04 PM »

Offline Msimonetta2

• Oshae Brissett
Phoenix is in a bind with the contracts they gave to Bledsoe and Thomas, I for one do not want to help them with this issue.  Thomas and Dragic are linked, in my mind, because if they cannot deal Thomas we have a shot at Dragic in the summer.  Dragic is a starter, Thomas is a back up.....

« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2015, 01:59:55 PM »

Offline Rakulp

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 78
Thomas is a Plan B trade scenario.

Plan A is the rim protector we've needed for years.

Get that...then we'll talk.

Rak

« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2015, 02:10:04 PM »

Offline outflip50

• Payton Pritchard
Thomas is a Plan B trade scenario.

Plan A is the rim protector we've needed for years.

Get that...then we'll talk.

Rak

So do you believe that Dragic is a near max player? The Lakers have already said they are willing to go there or close to it. So we should go sign this guy as a main building block, when he will be on the wrong side of 30? Are we willing to sign this guy for 12-15 million a year when we are not even close?

« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2015, 02:18:05 PM »

Offline Msimonetta2

• Oshae Brissett
I would think Ainge will assign a number to dragic that he wants to pay and stick to it.  I think he is one of the few free agents that may truly be available and worth going after.  Also whatever we pay will be more reasonable considering the salary spike coming our way in 2017. 

« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2015, 02:25:19 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
What about this trade:  http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=oy7ups3

Bradley, Pressey, and a couple of seconds for IT and Plumlee?  Thoughts? Plumlee hasn't been playing as much as last season, but this could leave them a little short on the front court, I tried to use Randolph instead of Pressey but couldn't find a way to have that work. 
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby