Author Topic: SNL 40th Anniversary Special  (Read 10900 times)

SNL 40th Anniversary Special
« on: February 13, 2015, 10:45:55 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Forget about the all-star festivities... I'm far more pumped up for the SNL 40th Anniversary special airing Sunday.

They just increased it an extra half hour.  A 1 hour "Red Carpet" special starting at 7:00pm followed by a 3.5 hour episode.  The guest list is INSANE (and includes Eddie Murphy... who I really really really hope is involved in sketches and not just a brief cameo):  http://www.eonline.com/news/625430/saturday-night-live-40th-anniversary-special-guest-list-is-insane-check-out-everyone-appearing

Some more info here: http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2015/02/12/snl-celebrates-its-40th/23287933/

I've been trying to find articles on it.  Here's a quote from Lorne Michaels about the process:

The rules we used were these: Every host was invited. Every musical guest was invited. Any castmember and writer who had been here longer than a year was invited. Not everybody is going to come. The other rule we used, which was just the simplest way to go, was if people sent back their RSVP, they were in the mix of people we could write for. On the 25th anniversary ? which turned out remarkably well and was the first time I thought, "I could stop now and be good" ? we did mostly live moments with tape and clips. This time, we have some of that, but we're doing more performances.

Long story short... this has a chance to be EPIC.  It has a chance to be the Comedy Woodstock.  It could be a letdown... sure.  But there's a chance you'll see a sketch with Bill Murray, Eddie Murphy, Will Ferrell and Bill Hader together.  There's a chance you'll see popular characters meet each other... who doesn't want to see Stefon meet the Church Lady, for instance? 

Re: SNL 40th Anniversary Special
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 10:52:20 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
I'm pumped. You've inspired me to try and envision other recurring characters from different eras crossing paths with each other. I just can't come up with anything better than Stefon and the Church Lady clashing right at the moment. :)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 03:39:33 PM by Nerf DPOY »

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 01:44:17 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
At first I thought they were just doing a clip show, but it sounds like they will be doing a ton of new sketches. I'm excited. I'm a big fan, though. I watch the show religiously. I think even the new cast has moments of greatness.  It will be great to see a bunch of legends together.

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 06:28:44 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Imagine that afterparty.......
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2015, 09:35:56 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
Sort of apropos of this shindig, some guy named Rob Sheffield who writes for Rolling Stone ranked the SNL cast top to bottom for the entirety of the show's run. I realize it's just a silly subjective list, but even so there's about 50 headscratchers in there regarding their respective places.

http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/lists/saturday-night-live-all-141-cast-members-ranked-20150211

He has Norm Macdonald 135 out of 141, and Brooks Wheelan at 73. Um, no. If you added up all of the time Wheelan spoke on screen during his one year on the show, would it even be 3 minutes? Macdonald's place 6 from the bottom leads me to think this Sheffield actually has something personal against him, like Norm snubbed him for an interview ten years ago or something. He has Victoria Jackson at #138. I can understand if you don't agree with her politics and worldview, but it seems petty to ignore that she was a main cast member for 6 years, especially when you look at where he has other literally forgettable SNL players on his list.

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2015, 10:21:53 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
read the article - no clue how this guy came up with his rankings.  would have a completely different ranking personally

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2015, 10:49:11 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
I saw that article too. It's moronic. It must have been written by someone who has never actually watched the show. Having Tina fey and Amy poehler in the top 10 makes no sense.  It's like he said "oh hey I've heard of them".

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2015, 11:15:11 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
I saw that article too. It's moronic. It must have been written by someone who has never actually watched the show. Having Tina fey and Amy poehler in the top 10 makes no sense.  It's like he said "oh hey I've heard of them".

Poehler in the top 10 is a joke but I could make a case for Fey being in the top 10 when considering she wrote for the show and had that comeback in '08 with that Palin impression(guessing you saw Palin's on that list in the link you posted BTW). She shouldn't be at #3 though. This guy is transparent with his love for 30 Rock and it looks like that's warped his sensibilities a tad.

More piling on, he has Beth Cahill at #62, ahead of performers like Joe Piscopo, Cheri Oteri, and Julia Sweeney. I'm not saying you have to like any of those three, but having Cahill that high on the list is indefensible. She did nothing notable during her span there. The only way I can make sense out of it is this guy must have had a crush on her that he never let go.

Back to that guest list, I saw Jack Nicholson will be there. He HAS to be in at least one skit. The world needs it.

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2015, 06:57:59 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
I'm so pumped for this show.  Spade just posted this teaser of a cast list of one of the sketches tonight:

He noted that the sketch could still get cut.  Can't wait to see this show.

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2015, 07:13:26 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
I heard Bill Brasky wrote every skit for this show tonight.

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2015, 07:42:12 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be
Watching the red carpet.  The talent assembled for this is crazy.  Just an amazing collection of talent.

Really excited to see Eddie Murphy return.  It's been 30 years.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2015, 08:00:23 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I'm a big SNL fan. I'm pretty excited for this.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2015, 08:05:43 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
jimmy fallon is one lame /annoying comedian.....

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2015, 09:06:18 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
Not to be a Debbie Downer but I thought there was going to be more new material. Maybe the next 2+ hours will have more original stuff.

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2015, 09:15:27 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
they are trying to jam too many people into the skits, it's a cluster f so far