Author Topic: Karl wants a stretch 4 and a scorer: what could KO and Thornton get us?  (Read 7268 times)

Re: Karl wants a stretch 4 and a scorer: what could KO and Thornton get us?
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2015, 11:43:01 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Is it possible to get McLemore?

I'd also rather keep KO than Sully. Sully+Thornton for McLemore and ??
McLemore sucks. 

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2015, 11:49:27 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I would not give them KO in a deal unless we are getting a player with more upside. I don't think Stauskas has more upside than KO.

That was the idea with my draft pick swap. I'm thinking that Johnson or Hezonja have more upside than KO.

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2015, 11:54:58 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Not giving up olynyc for stauscas or mclemore

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2015, 12:10:54 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
I am absolutely astonished and disappointed (to be quite frank) in the lack of appreciation for KO!!!!  Wow.  Stauskas has proven only ONE thing this year and that is that he might not EVER be an NBA player.  Williams might be one of the biggest lottery busts in recent years and might be OUT of the league in 1 to 2 years.

Why in the world would we give away KO who has the 9th best Real Plus Minus among NBA centers for crap in return??

I hope most of you are joking!!

Smitty77

KO is seriously underappreciated here.

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2015, 12:14:26 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
I am absolutely astonished and disappointed (to be quite frank) in the lack of appreciation for KO!!!!  Wow.  Stauskas has proven only ONE thing this year and that is that he might not EVER be an NBA player.  Williams might be one of the biggest lottery busts in recent years and might be OUT of the league in 1 to 2 years.

Why in the world would we give away KO who has the 9th best Real Plus Minus among NBA centers for crap in return??

Smitty77

He's not Giannis, he was doomed as soon as Giannis emerged.

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2015, 05:58:00 AM »

Offline Depalma2002

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
I was thinking about KO too. Here's my proposal:

To SAC: KO and one of Thornton/Prince/Bass, 2015 Clips pick (or 2016 Cavs?)

To BOS: DWill, Stauskas and Reggie Evans, plus we get swap rights for ours and SAC 2015 1st rounders with some very specific protections:
1. Converts to unprotected Kings 2017 1st rounder if '15 Kings pick is in the top 3;
2. Converts to unprotected Kings 2017 1st rounder if '15 Kings pick is outside the top 10.
3. Converts to unprotected Kings 2017 1st rounder if we choose not to exercise the swap (because, e.g., we don't like the choices or it only moves us up 2 slots).

Bear with me here. The idea is that this would move us up in the 2015 draft, probably by 3-8 slots. As of today it would move us from 11th to 6th. This is the difference between the Looney/Kaminsky range and the Johnson/Hezonja/Turner range. (Keep in mind that once we're in the 5-7 range, trading up to the 3-4 range to get someone like Russell gets still easier.)

We only exercise the option if we really like how our options improve. Else, we're basically trading KO and the Clips pick for a 2017 1st rounder and Stauskas which is decent value (and serves their objective of immediate improvement). The Kings are protected in the event they get lucky in the lottery. (#2 is necessary because the pick goes to CHI if it's outside the top 10).

Best of all, it would free us up to pursue the playoffs with abandon and not hurt our 2015 draft position.

Best case we end up in the playoffs AND a top 8 pick. Tankers and anti-tankers unite!

You put a lot of thought in work on this but you'll need to rework your swap conditions as they are affected by Chicago's rights to the pick if it is outside top 10.

1. If in the top 3 and Sacramento doesn't swap, then the 2017 can't be traded. You could do a 2018 pick with language that it conveys two years subsequent of the pick being conveyed to Chicago or do 2019 straight.

2. If outside of top 10, then they can't swap it. It will be Chicago's pick.

3. Depends on 1 and 2 and then you will need the 2 years subsequent to the pick being conveyed to Chicago language.

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2015, 06:12:12 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

Smitty77

He's not Giannis, he was doomed as soon as Giannis emerged.

Yeah, that has added to it, but the underestimation predated Giannis's growth and emergence.

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2015, 06:42:52 AM »

Offline jonaslopes

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31

Smitty77

Unfortunately.
It's nice seeing him get exposed as overrated after having argued with fellow fans for years that he was overrated.. but I don't hate him. I'm looking forward to seeing him [...] bounce around to a couple more teams... eventually come back to Boston[...] and helps us as a role player until he runs himself out of the league.
LarBrd33 on Rondo

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2015, 08:08:19 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Smitty77

Unfortunately.

KO not playing the last few weeks while the Cs have gone on a little run hasn't helped his cause either. Hoping he can really make his case when he comes back. I wish he was playing the young stars game.

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2015, 08:16:17 AM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
Yeh I wouldn't give KO for stauskas and Williams

Both have not been productive in their limited careers
Williams is a tweener with no great skill set
Besides we have rookie young who has flashed more potential than stauskas so far

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2015, 08:13:34 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Yeh I wouldn't give KO for stauskas and Williams

Both have not been productive in their limited careers
Williams is a tweener with no great skill set
Besides we have rookie young who has flashed more potential than stauskas so far

I question Dwill being a tweener.  He's a 6'8" SF who can aso play PF. Move him permanently to SF.  Stauskas, IMO, would become your sixth man shooter off the bench.

That all said, I think I keep KO and find my SF elsewhere.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2015, 08:43:51 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Finally some logic after Smitty slapped some sense into people! The Kings blow because their roster sucks, other than cry baby Cousins I'll just keep KO thanks.

« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2015, 10:13:00 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Finally some logic after Smitty slapped some sense into people! The Kings blow because their roster sucks, other than cry baby Cousins I'll just keep KO thanks.

Agreed.  KO or Sully only come into play if Cousins is in play.  I would not trade KO straight up for Stauskas. 

In 50 games played this year Stauskas has shot 32.8% from FG and 26.1% from 3 point land.
http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/2991042/nik-stauskas

Meanwhile in 40 games played this year KO has shot 50.6% from FG and 35.3% from 3 point land.
http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/2489663/kelly-olynyk

He's also a 7 footer who can stretch the floor.  That's a lot rarer package than a 6'6 SG (very common size/length for the position) who still hasn't shown shooting touch at the NBA level so far in Stauskas.

In KO's rookie season he shot 46.6% from FG and 35.1% from 3 point.  Showing an overall uptick in improvement in his shooting that is encouraging.
http://espn.go.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/2489663/kelly-olynyk

I just don't see what's so great about Stauskas right now.