Author Topic: Karl wants a stretch 4 and a scorer: what could KO and Thornton get us?  (Read 7270 times)

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
This from Sporting News:

Now that new coach George Karl is in place in Sacramento, sources told Sporting News this week that the Kings have stepped up their focus on re-arranging the roster in order to bring in the type of athletic, versatile players that suit Karl?s aggressive and up-tempo style of play.

?They have been as active as anyone,? one general manager told Sporting News. ?Obviously they want to make a lot of changes, and they?re pushing hard to get something done.?

[Ultimately, the team has zeroed in on power forward as the spot that needs addressing.......Even if they can?t get their ideal stretch-4 on the trade market, the Kings still intend to add shooting to create more floor space for All-Star big man DeMarcus Cousins.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2015-02-13/george-karl-sacramento-kings-nba-trade-deadline-jason-thompson-demarcus-cousins-nik-stauskas

Sounds like KO and Thornton would fit the bill for them. What could we get in return assuming it wasn't Cousins? Either McLemore or Stauskas (whom they've been dangling in lieu of a first round pick) along with Derrick Williams (expiring) works.

Re: Karl wants a stretch 4 and a scorer: what could KO and Thornton get us?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 06:59:23 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think they'll target somebody more established e.g. Ryan Anderson or Thaddeus Young.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 07:18:55 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Brandon Bass.

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 07:23:45 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Brandon Bass.

Was waiting for that.

Channing Frye probably doesn't leave Orlando so soon after arriving. Can't see Toronto parting with Patterson or Phoenix dealing one of the Morrii.

Young may be the most available but least stretchy of the 4s out there.

How awesome would it be to see Andrea Bargnani and DeMarcus Cousins together? Worst buddy cop movie ever.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 07:28:25 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
I think they'll target somebody more established e.g. Ryan Anderson or Thaddeus Young.

Afflalo, ilyasova, Chandler, Jerebko and Reggie Jackson were mentioned in the article.

For PF, you might be right, but Thornton is pretty established as a scorer.

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 08:39:39 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja

Afflalo, ilyasova, Chandler, Jerebko and Reggie Jackson were mentioned in the article.

but the drawback to thornton may be his salary, which is not inconsequential. i am too lazy to check right now on a friday night, but could they fit thornton's salary?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 08:55:19 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas

but the drawback to thornton may be his salary, which is not inconsequential. i am too lazy to check right now on a friday night, but could they fit thornton's salary?

Thornton and KO make about a million more than Williams and Stauskas. Works in trade machine.

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2015, 09:22:17 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
Bass seems like a decent fit, tho he might not stretch the floor as far as they'd want.  The biggest stumbling block to any deal is that they can't trade a pick til 2019.

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2015, 09:33:58 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156

Thornton and KO make about a million more than Williams and Stauskas. Works in trade machine.

Sign me up for that deal.

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2015, 09:52:32 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I was thinking about KO too. Here's my proposal:

To SAC: KO and one of Thornton/Prince/Bass, 2015 Clips pick (or 2016 Cavs?)

To BOS: DWill, Stauskas and Reggie Evans, plus we get swap rights for ours and SAC 2015 1st rounders with some very specific protections:
1. Converts to unprotected Kings 2017 1st rounder if '15 Kings pick is in the top 3;
2. Converts to unprotected Kings 2017 1st rounder if '15 Kings pick is outside the top 10.
3. Converts to unprotected Kings 2017 1st rounder if we choose not to exercise the swap (because, e.g., we don't like the choices or it only moves us up 2 slots).

Bear with me here. The idea is that this would move us up in the 2015 draft, probably by 3-8 slots. As of today it would move us from 11th to 6th. This is the difference between the Looney/Kaminsky range and the Johnson/Hezonja/Turner range. (Keep in mind that once we're in the 5-7 range, trading up to the 3-4 range to get someone like Russell gets still easier.)

We only exercise the option if we really like how our options improve. Else, we're basically trading KO and the Clips pick for a 2017 1st rounder and Stauskas which is decent value (and serves their objective of immediate improvement). The Kings are protected in the event they get lucky in the lottery. (#2 is necessary because the pick goes to CHI if it's outside the top 10).

Best of all, it would free us up to pursue the playoffs with abandon and not hurt our 2015 draft position.

Best case we end up in the playoffs AND a top 8 pick. Tankers and anti-tankers unite!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 10:01:59 PM by Boris Badenov »

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2015, 10:02:01 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Staukas is 444th and Williams 448th out of 456 in NBA real +/-. KO is ranked 70th.

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2015, 10:13:16 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
I am absolutely astonished and disappointed (to be quite frank) in the lack of appreciation for KO!!!!  Wow.  Stauskas has proven only ONE thing this year and that is that he might not EVER be an NBA player.  Williams might be one of the biggest lottery busts in recent years and might be OUT of the league in 1 to 2 years.

Why in the world would we give away KO who has the 9th best Real Plus Minus among NBA centers for crap in return??

I hope most of you are joking!!

Smitty77

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2015, 10:13:32 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I would not give them KO in a deal unless we are getting a player with more upside. I don't think Stauskas has more upside than KO.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2015, 10:23:09 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
David Thorpe  ESPN
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12250482/three-rookies-need-major-adjustments?src=mobile

"Stauskas was taken by the Kings in this past draft for similar reasons. The Kings finished 23rd in effective field goal percentage last season, and Stauskas was arguably the best shooter in the draft. He made shots from all over the court at Michigan, inside and outside of the 3-point line. So even though the Kings had just drafted another well-regarded shooting guard the season prior (Ben McLemore), the Kings must have figured they couldn't lose by taking another shooter. Unfortunately, Stauskas has been mostly awful so far.

Stauskas ranks second-to-last in PER and 20th in true shooting percentage among the 27 rookies who qualify (based on minutes per game and total games played), and his shooting numbers rank among the lowest in the NBA among all shooting guards. Because he is also a poor rebounder, passer and defender, while averaging less than one free throw attempt per game, there is an argument that Stauskas is currently the worst rotation player in the NBA. Advanced metrics support this, as he is in the bottom 10 in EWA (estimated wins added) and real plus-minus among all players.

So why is he struggling? The main reason is Stauskas has just made poor decision after poor decision on offense all season long.

Yes, he's been shooting better from 3 this month, so there is a chance he can rewrite his rookie season before it ends. However, if his shot selection does not take a big step forward, it may not matter much."

"If Stauskas isn't the league's worst rotation player, it's LaVine. "

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2015, 11:16:10 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Is it possible to get McLemore?

I'd also rather keep KO than Sully. Sully+Thornton for McLemore and ??
- LilRip