Author Topic: C's interested in Kanter per Blakely  (Read 14642 times)

Re: C's interested in Kanter per Blakely
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2015, 04:28:05 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

I am also monitoring the Kanter situation but not willing to give up more than a 2nd round pick for him.

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2015, 04:31:16 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
If we are going after a disgruntled soon to be free agent I'd much rather have them target Reggie Jackson than Kanter.

Why? We need size and Kanter is younger and has more upside.
We need lots of things. In terms of size, we need shot blocking not just a big guy and Kanter doesn't provide shot blocking.

Reggie can score by driving the ball to the hoop, which is our biggest need next to rim protection.

We are bad at scoring in isolation, scoring with the ball handler in pick and roll and scoring efficiently in transition. Reggie should be able to help in all those categories.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2015, 04:35:34 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
So do they like him or do they like him?

Like like.

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2015, 04:39:25 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Ainge is pretty tight with the cash when it comes to contracts. I think kanter and his agent likely want more then ainge would want to pay. Kanter is a poor defender for a big as well. I don't like him next to sully or oly.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2015, 04:41:55 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
Yes, I know it's Sherrod Blakely but...

A. Sherrod Blakely @SherrodbCSN  · 
#Celtics monitoring Enes Kanter situation w/Utah, but aren't expected to make a run at the disgruntled center now, source says. #Celticstalk

Great reporting by Sherrod, what player on the trade market are the Cs not at monitoring.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2015, 04:42:49 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Jazz are certainly going to want one of KO, Sully and a pick

Danny could counter offer with Zeller and a few 2nds

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2015, 04:49:02 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
If we are going after a disgruntled soon to be free agent I'd much rather have them target Reggie Jackson than Kanter.

We need lots of things. In terms of size, we need shot blocking not just a big guy and Kanter doesn't provide shot blocking.

Reggie can score by driving the ball to the hoop, which is our biggest need next to rim protection.

We are bad at scoring in isolation, scoring with the ball handler in pick and roll and scoring efficiently in transition. Reggie should be able to help in all those categories.
Why do we need shot blocking?  The Miami Heat won back to back titles with Chris Bosh and Dwayne Wade as their team leading shot blockers (1.4 and 1.3 per game).  Even the Spurs had Duncan at 1.9 and like no one else at 1.  Tyson Chandler 1.1 blocks per game during Dallas title season.  Lakers must have had elite shot blockers, right?  Wrong?  Pau at 1.7 and Bynum at 1.8 were their leaders for both titles.  Our Celtics must have had elite shot blockers, nope, Perkins led the way at 1.5 per game.  The 06-07 Spurs and Duncan at 2.4 a game was the last time a champion had its regular season leader above 2 a game (he was 5th that year). 

Shot blocking isn't very important as stats for title contenders as stats go.  What you do need are interior defenders, something Boston does not have and of which Kanter is not, but a shot blocker is significantly overrated.  That said Kanter is a legit 7 footer with a decent offensive and rebounding game and would be worth something like Bass and the Clippers pick. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2015, 04:59:21 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Jackson is a volume shooter who has a knack for being a ball stopper. Not exactly the best fit in Stevens' offense.

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2015, 05:00:52 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

Why do we need shot blocking?  The Miami Heat won back to back titles with Chris Bosh and Dwayne Wade as their team leading shot blockers (1.4 and 1.3 per game).  Even the Spurs had Duncan at 1.9 and like no one else at 1.  Tyson Chandler 1.1 blocks per game during Dallas title season.  Lakers must have had elite shot blockers, right?  Wrong?  Pau at 1.7 and Bynum at 1.8 were their leaders for both titles.  Our Celtics must have had elite shot blockers, nope, Perkins led the way at 1.5 per game.  The 06-07 Spurs and Duncan at 2.4 a game was the last time a champion had its regular season leader above 2 a game (he was 5th that year). 

Shot blocking isn't very important as stats for title contenders as stats go.  What you do need are interior defenders, something Boston does not have and of which Kanter is not, but a shot blocker is significantly overrated.  That said Kanter is a legit 7 footer with a decent offensive and rebounding game and would be worth something like Bass and the Clippers pick.
So I made the mistake of typing shot blocking when I meant rim protection. You are right we don't need shot blocking we need people who can prevent players from scoring in the paint on us.

Citing two examples of championship teams who won the title without great rim protection doesn't mean we don't need rim protection. (also I'd have to check the numbers but I'm pretty sure both those teams defended the rim without blocking a ton of shots or at least created enough turnovers to make up for a lack of rim protection).

Our biggest needs are rim protection and shot creation with the dribble, please let me know what you think our biggest needs are rather than just citing two examples of teams that (potentially) succeeded without being good at those things.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2015, 05:07:13 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2015, 05:27:07 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Some of these goof posts actually contain more info in them than Blakely's tweet.

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2015, 05:49:28 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
Some of these goof posts actually contain more info in them than Blakely's tweet.
TP

A. Sherrod Sherrod   What ever may be may be   

The future's not ours to see

A. sherrod
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2015, 06:00:54 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Ol Danny shopping at the ". Blue light Special" bargain table .....

Trying to be ......Mr Haney of the NBA

Fleece the Jazz in some deal.......22 yr old center ......for Bass and a late first.

Get him for 10 cents on the dollar and flip him for twenty times the value..... ;D

Yeah......I can see it.

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2015, 06:05:51 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
The problem is that he has a qualifying offer next year of $7.88 million, which is a little nerve racking.  Someone could offer him $10 m and then he could just leave for nothing.

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2015, 06:36:08 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
The problem is that he has a qualifying offer next year of $7.88 million, which is a little nerve racking.  Someone could offer him $10 m and then he could just leave for nothing.

Well then no way DA gives away a good player like KO in trade ...that could end up with no Kanter in the long run.