Author Topic: Would you take on David Lee if we could get Harrison Barnes?  (Read 6708 times)

Re: Would you take on David Lee if we could get Harrison Barnes?
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2015, 12:06:32 PM »

Offline outflip50

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11

So we give up 2 contracts expiring this year for one that expires after next year? I can't see this making sense unless we are getting something, which we aren't. Does GS even have anything worth taking at this high of a price? I would much rather just keep the cap space free and save it for the next year if we can't get anything this year. This also allows us to keep space available if something does pop up and not have to worry about unloading 2 albatross contracts.

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2015, 12:22:04 PM »

Offline Msimonetta2

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 7
Yeah I wondered if we could flip Lee's contract, certainly Wallace's contract is not going anywhere.  Also this idea would be like plan Z if Dragic goes to Houston and there isn't anything in free agency......which is very possible.  If we are not going to sign anyone than we would use are cap space to get Barnes or somebody else.  Lee's contract is only one year and we would take it on only if we were not using the cap space anyways......which I could see happening. 

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2015, 01:59:17 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
Yes I would.  Doubt Golden State does that tho.  They seem all right to dip into the luxury tax for a year if that's what it takes to keep their team together.

Exactly, it makes no sense for GS

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2015, 07:52:56 PM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
terrible trade for Golden State but understandable considering draymond green's rise

but i don't think they would trade barnes with lee, they would trade lee by himself as they have seen flashes in barnes

lee is a valuable player, he was an all star once and is still playing well, he would be better off on a team looking to make a quick contender such as NY. they could potentially get something from him rather than just a salary dump and losing pick. He is not overpaid by a lot like wallace and is still productive.

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2015, 11:50:50 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
This trade works in the trade machine but I'm still not sure whether I would even be in favor of it. It gives GS a strong bench plus relief from Lee's contract. The Celtics would get Barnes plus another first round pick but they would have to deal with one more year of Lee's $15 million contract:      Lee, Barnes, and a 1st round pick for Thornton, Bass, and Turner.

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2015, 12:14:42 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I thought Id reopen this discussion after watching David Lee play last night.

He looked really quite good.

He is a good rebounder, finisher around the basket and a good passer.

Hes been a good soldier in GS and despite his bad contract he is still a player who is valuable on the court.

It just so happens the current Golden State team is really really deep and hes battled injuries.

If you could add him and add another asset whether it be a really valuable one like Harrison Barnes or their pick 29 this year or something in between (Ezeli) I think it could be a really nice backup plan for us this summer.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2015, 12:25:35 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
I'd be kind of disgusted if Danny did that to the C's cap situatuin.

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2015, 12:27:57 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
My guess is he ends up back in NY after the Knicks miss out on bigger names this summer.

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2015, 12:47:01 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Fair enough I guess I am desperately looking for ways to add pieces next year.  Outside of maybe signing Dragic over the summer do not see how we can add impact players.  Might need to prepare myself for the worst.
on board with adding better pieces for next year.  Neither Lee nor Barnes would qualify in that regard.

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2015, 12:49:55 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
The more I think about it the less of a fan I am. I wouldnt be totally against it if we could get a guy like Barnes but it really muddies the cap situation for us next year. It could be the kind of move that really comes back to bite you.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2015, 12:51:10 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932
Fair enough I guess I am desperately looking for ways to add pieces next year.  Outside of maybe signing Dragic over the summer do not see how we can add impact players.  Might need to prepare myself for the worst.
on board with adding better pieces for next year.  Neither Lee nor Barnes would qualify in that regard.

I think Barnes could be a very good player given a bigger role. He's had a couple of bad games lately, but he'd be a major upgrade to Turner at the 3.

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2015, 02:05:25 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
If we can't sign a big free agent or trade for a top player I would definitely take on Lee in order to get Barnes.
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2015, 02:24:53 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I don't think there's any chance Golden State gives up Barnes just to dump Lee.

Lee is still a talented player and there will be some team out there -- perhaps the Celtics -- willing to take on his contract for relatively minor considerations.  Somebody might just absorb him into their cap space for free without taking back any notable picks or players.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2015, 02:33:58 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Lee is a former all-star, great rebounder, and crafty scorer. Barnes is a young talented, defensive player still with the potential to improve.

However, I am not sure what direction Danny would be aiming for if he made this trade. They are both good players, but Lee doesn't really move the bar for us and Barnes seems a bit limited - just doesn't scream all-star to me (although I could be wrong).

As a win-now move, I honestly consider Lee the better player even though his contract is atrocious.

I am hoping for something bigger this summer.

« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2015, 02:48:18 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Lee is a former all-star, great rebounder, and crafty scorer. Barnes is a young talented, defensive player still with the potential to improve.

However, I am not sure what direction Danny would be aiming for if he made this trade. They are both good players, but Lee doesn't really move the bar for us and Barnes seems a bit limited - just doesn't scream all-star to me (although I could be wrong).

As a win-now move, I honestly consider Lee the better player even though his contract is atrocious.

I am hoping for something bigger this summer.

The idea with Lee would have to be giving him a chance at a starting spot and hoping he regains his 20-10 form and then try to pawn him off to some other team at the deadline for assets.

I don't think there will be an opportunity to extort a 1st from GS in return for taking on Lee's contract.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain