Author Topic: Would you take on David Lee if we could get Harrison Barnes?  (Read 6707 times)

Would you take on David Lee if we could get Harrison Barnes?
« on: February 13, 2015, 08:35:02 AM »

Offline Msimonetta2

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 7
Hello Celticsblog, first post long-time lurker.  OK I was thinking off-season, this may be the type of move Golden State has to make in order to sign Draymond Green.  Downside to this would be Lee's 15 mil contract but maybe we could flip it with a pick?  What do you guys think?
Simo

Re: Would you take on David Lee if we could get Harrison Barnes?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 08:49:24 AM »

Offline Depalma2002

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
I think the point of dealing Lee to resign Green would be to play Green with Barnes. I just don't see them getting desperate enough to come to that, especially since their ownership has said that if it comes to paying the tax, that's something they are prepared to do. So, dealing Barnes is way down on the list of alternatives.

1. Trade a pick with Lee to move him.
2. Stretch Lee's contract and save about $10M of space this season and absorb about $5M each of the next two seasons after the cap goes up.
3. Eating the tax this year and then try to get back under it after the cap increases so you never have to worry about the really harsh repeater taxes kicking in.
4. Trade Barnes along with Lee to move him.

Even at #4, I think they will expect some type of additional compensation coming back to them to make them do it.

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 08:49:59 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Used to be a fav of mine .

Not now .....is another nice player , like Bulls Gibson ,  that really is not what the Celtics need as a foundation.

Celtics need two foundation players to build on or around .....Cousins would be this type of player.

This is why picks or assets are so highly valued now .......it's one of the few ways to put together a team ...besides LUCK (draft) or tanking ( more luck).

Can't waste bullets on players near 30 years old ....if rebuild takes 5 years ..then they are old men in the NBA

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 08:57:48 AM »

Offline Msimonetta2

• Oshae Brissett
Fair enough I guess I am desperately looking for ways to add pieces next year.  Outside of maybe signing Dragic over the summer do not see how we can add impact players.  Might need to prepare myself for the worst.

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 08:58:23 AM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
I would do this in a heartbeat.
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 09:08:58 AM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
Meh. He's playing similar to Crowder if he got 30 a night. I'd rather stick with Crowder going forward and/or draft Johnson or Winslow.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 09:10:17 AM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Been watching Barnes since his senior year of High School.  He can be a guy that could score 20 a night on a team like the C's IMO....

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2015, 09:13:54 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
If the Celtics do not (or can not) use their cap space to add good, non-overpayed pieces; then yes, it is a deal the Celtics could do in the offseason. 

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2015, 09:14:33 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
not enamored with Barnes and don't understand constant harping to get this kid.  no incentive to trade for him much less acquire him with Lee's overpriced contract

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2015, 09:58:53 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Yes I would.  Doubt Golden State does that tho.  They seem all right to dip into the luxury tax for a year if that's what it takes to keep their team together.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 10:04:58 AM by saltlover »

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2015, 10:36:01 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Absolutely I would.

Golden State is competing for a title though and I doubt they break up their team to avoid paying the tax if they have a chance to win a championship. I could see a deal like this happening in the offseason though.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2015, 10:40:06 AM »

Offline outflip50

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
I don't think Danny would do this. That would give us 25 million in salary for Wallace and Lee next year. Two guys who obviously do not fit this team in any way. Would reduce our flexibility for other, more vital transactions.

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2015, 10:47:14 AM »

Offline Msimonetta2

• Oshae Brissett
Right this would definitely be an off season move.  This is an exercise in how do we get players that are young/cost-controlled if we do not land anyone in free agency.  My thought was that Chicago/GState might be under some pressure with RFA Butler and Draymond Green both of which will be matched by their perspective teams.

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2015, 10:50:41 AM »

Offline outflip50

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
Right this would definitely be an off season move.  This is an exercise in how do we get players that are young/cost-controlled if we do not land anyone in free agency.  My thought was that Chicago/GState might be under some pressure with RFA Butler and Draymond Green both of which will be matched by their perspective teams.

Yup and if we can make them cap out  and go way over the luxury tax with the match, even better.

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2015, 11:23:26 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I don't think Danny would do this. That would give us 25 million in salary for Wallace and Lee next year. Two guys who obviously do not fit this team in any way. Would reduce our flexibility for other, more vital transactions.

It all depends on what we could get with out cap space.  There are going to be plenty of teams with cap space we would fighting with for free agents.  I'd almost rather not fight that battle, and end up with little to nothing.

Lee's contract is too large to fit into our 12.9 TE, so I think a trade now would have to center around Bass and Thortnon, or we would have to wait until the offseason.  These type of trades in the past have netted at least a 1st round pick, and we might be able to trade Lee again something else.