Author Topic: I'd trade Bradley for Dragic. I'd gamble on Lopez  (Read 8525 times)

Re: I'd trade Bradley for Dragic. I'd gamble on Lopez
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2015, 02:02:34 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Bradley for Dragic, even if we included a pick in the late 20s, would be a win. Phx would have to be a Bradley fan - maybe we could sell them on the prospect of having the best defensive backcourt in the NBA? Dragic looks like an awesome fit for Stevens' system due to his outstanding PG skills for a 2-guard, so much better than Bradley in that respect. I'd be rooting for a playoff appearance behind Dragic, which would put us in position to re-sign him and perhaps add another FA to become competitive in the East.

As to Lopez I'm more ambivalent. I guess if it means we can shed GW, that takes the edge off his $15M salary. It's the kind of decision you just need to talk to the doctors about.

« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2015, 02:19:00 PM »

Offline Depalma2002

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
How about getting in the middle of a Dragic to Houston deal?

Z Dragic, C Capela, T Jones to Boston
T Zeller, G Dragic to Houston
Bass, Terry, 1st rounder (Boston via Clips) to Phoenix

Boston gets prospects at 3 positions for Zeller, Bass' expiring, and a late pick.
Houston gets a center *and* Dragic for 2 guys who haven't played much this year.
Phoenix gets a 1st for Dragic, and a couple of vets incl. a big man.

Nice out of the box thinking, but if I'm the C's I pass.

Zoran Dragic is not a prospect. His most redeeming quality is that he keeps his potential free agent brother happy.

Capela is a prospect but you hope that he can be as good as Tyler Zeller in two years.

Jones is a nice talented player but he's coming off an unusual injury and who knows whether or not there will be long-term affects and he also plays the position you have the most depth at.

« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2015, 02:40:36 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Dragic is better than Bradley.  It would be an improvement to our backcourt.   Financially it works.  Dragic is a free agent.  If we keep him, great.  If he walks, great.  I don't care either way.  Bradley is overpaid.  I'd rather have the cap space than lock up money for a role player. 

Not sure why the Suns would do this, though.  They have way too many guards as is.  They apparently are looking for a 1st rounder for Dragic.  Maybe a 3rd team could get involved.  Doesn't really make sense for them to take Bradley, but at least they wouldn't need to worry about losing their free agent for nothing.

Boston's bigger problem is lack of a starting center.  I'd call the Nets and offer them Gerald Wallace, Brandon Bass and a protected pick for Brook Lopez.   Lopez only has one more year after this so if it's a failure, so be it.  It doesn't hurt our financial situation too bad, because Wallace is stuck on the books next year as well... just puts us on the hook for an extra 5 mil next year (Lopez =15 mil, Wallace = 10 mil).    Not sure why the Nets do this, but apparently they were willing to trade Lopez for Kendrick  Perkins a few weeks ago.

If we want to make a playoff push, that's the kind of silly moves we should make.

Um duh?  Dragic's an all star caliber player.  Everyone would do that, but what in the world makes you think it's a possibility?

The funniest part though is you go on to say that's still a good deal even if Dragic doesn't want to stay in Boston.  What??  You want to trade a solid asset who also happens to have arguably the largest role on our team (alongside Sully) for a 2 month rental?  What's the point?  How does that make us any better?  He's no where near that overpaid.

I mean use some common sense, man.  If you think Bradley is such a albatross/cancer and we'd be better off with cap space, why not just dump him for a pick or something as opposed to just wasting his value?  If this trade doesn't happen are you going to propose we use the stretch provision on him next?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 02:48:04 PM by mgent »
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2015, 03:05:47 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Dragic is better than Bradley.  It would be an improvement to our backcourt.   Financially it works.  Dragic is a free agent.  If we keep him, great.  If he walks, great.  I don't care either way.  Bradley is overpaid.  I'd rather have the cap space than lock up money for a role player. 

Not sure why the Suns would do this, though.  They have way too many guards as is.  They apparently are looking for a 1st rounder for Dragic.  Maybe a 3rd team could get involved.  Doesn't really make sense for them to take Bradley, but at least they wouldn't need to worry about losing their free agent for nothing.

Boston's bigger problem is lack of a starting center.  I'd call the Nets and offer them Gerald Wallace, Brandon Bass and a protected pick for Brook Lopez.   Lopez only has one more year after this so if it's a failure, so be it.  It doesn't hurt our financial situation too bad, because Wallace is stuck on the books next year as well... just puts us on the hook for an extra 5 mil next year (Lopez =15 mil, Wallace = 10 mil).    Not sure why the Nets do this, but apparently they were willing to trade Lopez for Kendrick  Perkins a few weeks ago.

If we want to make a playoff push, that's the kind of silly moves we should make.

Um duh?  Dragic's an all star caliber player.  Everyone would do that, but what in the world makes you think it's a possibility?

The funniest part though is you go on to say that's still a good deal even if Dragic doesn't want to stay in Boston.  What?? 
Heh... these two comments seem to conflict with each other.

"Obviously I'd trade Bradley for Dragic!  DUH!!!"   ... "You'd be dumb to trade Bradley for Dragic!!"

Make up your mind.

I said I'd do the deal... it would be a win.  Even if he walks, I'd be fine with it, because I see Bradley as a marginal replaceable asset that is overpaid.  Just clarifying that my original post never suggested giving up Bradley AND a 1st.  I said I'd be completely comfortable trading Bradley for Dragic right now... and hope that he'd stick around.

« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2015, 03:41:32 PM »

Offline revtodd64

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 8
Just not seeing Dragic in green this year.  Houston or LA is where he's going.  I don't get the Bradley hate.  He may not ever be an All-Star but he is a good, young 3 and D player.  I can't see trading him plus a first to get Dragic (who I like) for a half year rental.  This is a youth movement. 

« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2015, 03:54:28 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

The funniest part though is you go on to say that's still a good deal even if Dragic doesn't want to stay in Boston.  What?? 

"Obviously I'd trade Bradley for Dragic!  DUH!!!"   ... "You'd be dumb to trade Bradley for Dragic!!"

Make up your mind.

I said I'd do the deal... it would be a win.  Even if he walks, I'd be fine with it, because I see Bradley as a marginal replaceable asset that is overpaid.  Just clarifying that my original post never suggested giving up Bradley AND a 1st.  I said I'd be completely comfortable trading Bradley for Dragic right now... and hope that he'd stick around.

Maybe you'd find more elucidation in mgent's post if you read/responded to the whole thing.

At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2015, 04:06:57 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Nice out of the box thinking, but if I'm the C's I pass.

Zoran Dragic is not a prospect. His most redeeming quality is that he keeps his potential free agent brother happy.

Capela is a prospect but you hope that he can be as good as Tyler Zeller in two years.

Jones is a nice talented player but he's coming off an unusual injury and who knows whether or not there will be long-term affects and he also plays the position you have the most depth at.

I agree about Dragic... more of a throw-in here. I think you are underrating Capela and Jones a bit, though. Assuming Jones is healed, he has similar value to Olynyk or Sully. Capela would go in the 1st round again and is under contract for 3 more years. Zeller has been a nice surprise but what's his ceiling, a backup center on a good team?

Granted Jones is yet another PF, but we can move Bass and limit his minutes the rest of the year while he comes back to full strength. Plus, now we can *really* move a young PF in a trade.

« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2015, 04:25:10 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald

Make up your mind.

Read.

I said you'd be dumb to trade Bradley for absolutely nothing (if Dragic doesn't want to be here).  How am I supposed to make up my mind without any information on the subject?  Clearly this is something Danny would ask about before making a trade.  My mind's perfectly made up one way or the other, it just simply depends on what Dragic's answer is.  But I have no clue why, if I'm pretending to be a GM, that you want me to pretend to be a handicapped GM who can't ask questions or learn background info.

So please explain to me the conflict, I agreed that obviously Dragic is a better player, but I'd only trade for him under condition.  FYI, you can't necessarily just make a trade because the other player is better, you've always got to think about the future.  Just like how trading for KG/Pierce because they're better than Wallace/Hump wasn't a great move, I can't believe I have to explain this.

You've already decided that you'd trade Bradley for bag of balls just to get him and his contract off the roster.  Congratulations.  There's no reason to tell me to make ignorant decisions though.  You're asking "What's x + 4?  Make up your mind," but not telling what "x" is.  All I said was "5 if x = 1, or 6 if x = 2"  Literally only requires the most basic logic to get from A to B.  If Dragic wants to be here, then yes, if he doesn't, then no.  Even a machine could compute that for you if you like   ;)
Philly:

« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2015, 04:26:29 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Make up your mind.

Maybe you'd find more elucidation in mgent's post if you read/responded to the whole thing.
I read the whole thing.  The two comments seem to conflict with each other.

I'd trade Bradley for a 1st.  I'd trade Bradley for Dragic, because I think we'd have a shot at re-signing Dragic and Dragic is a significant improvement... and even if he walked, we'd be in a fine position.  Cap space vs Bradley is a toss-up.  I'd probably prefer the cap space.

My point is, Bradley is expendable.  If he's what it takes for a Dragic gamble, It's worth it.  Still, I don't see why the Suns would trade for Bradley.  A third team would probably need to get involved.

« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2015, 04:26:54 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

Make up your mind.

Thanks for the clarification, I misread your post.  I'd do that deal, but PHX wouldn't except to flip AB. It should be noted that the real +/- for AB is in the same range as Dragic's and for a lot less money, but without doing a lot more research than I'd care to do to a deal that's DOA, I wouldn't trust that stat as is.

Your Lopez deal still makes little sense to me.

« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2015, 04:28:34 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
  • GOT IT!!!
Dragic is the type of guy I'd like the C's to go after if the price isn't too high. Bradley and a first isn't too much when you are upgrading the position.

« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2015, 04:33:14 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald

Make up your mind.

I read the whole thing.  The two comments seem to conflict with each other.

I'd trade Bradley for a 1st.  I'd trade Bradley for Dragic, because I think we'd have a shot at re-signing Dragic and Dragic is a significant improvement... and even if he walked, we'd be in a fine position.  Cap space vs Bradley is a toss-up.  I'd probably prefer the cap space.

My point is, Bradley is expendable.  If he's what it takes for a Dragic gamble, It's worth it.  Still, I don't see why the Suns would trade for Bradley.  A third team would probably need to get involved.

I'm simply asking, why don't you want Danny to find this information out first?  If he says he has no intentions to play for us, then you can decide to go back and take the better offer that includes a 1st rounder (or something other than nothing).

You're telling us to make a superfluous gamble.
Philly:

« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2015, 06:34:06 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

The funniest part though is you go on to say that's still a good deal even if Dragic doesn't want to stay in Boston.  What??  You want to trade a solid asset who also happens to have arguably the largest role on our team (alongside Sully) for a 2 month rental?  What's the point?  How does that make us any better?  He's no where near that overpaid.

I mean use some common sense, man.  If you think Bradley is such a albatross/cancer and we'd be better off with cap space, why not just dump him for a pick or something as opposed to just wasting his value?  If this trade doesn't happen are you going to propose we use the stretch provision on him next?

Because you still clear the remaining 3 years left on Bradley's deal and open up more cap space.

Also, if the Celts acquire Dragic, they gain his bird rights, don't they?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 06:46:12 PM by gpap »

« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2015, 06:39:13 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I would also make both moves.

Bradley for Dragic

Wallace, Turner and Pressey for Lopez.

« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2015, 07:48:50 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
Jeff Clark had an idea:  Utah gets a tPE and late 1st
                                     Suns get Kanter
                                     Celts get Dragic

No real gamble.  We then could use Bradley in a package for a big.

Utah doesn't do that trade at all.  Kantner is a Center an RFA who's averaging 14 and 8.  That's worth more than a late 1 and a TPE.