Author Topic: I'd trade Bradley for Dragic. I'd gamble on Lopez  (Read 8535 times)

I'd trade Bradley for Dragic. I'd gamble on Lopez
« on: February 12, 2015, 10:57:19 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Dragic is better than Bradley.  It would be an improvement to our backcourt.   Financially it works.  Dragic is a free agent.  If we keep him, great.  If he walks, great.  I don't care either way.  Bradley is overpaid.  I'd rather have the cap space than lock up money for a role player. 

Not sure why the Suns would do this, though.  They have way too many guards as is.  They apparently are looking for a 1st rounder for Dragic.  Maybe a 3rd team could get involved.  Doesn't really make sense for them to take Bradley, but at least they wouldn't need to worry about losing their free agent for nothing.

Boston's bigger problem is lack of a starting center.  I'd call the Nets and offer them Gerald Wallace, Brandon Bass and a protected pick for Brook Lopez.   Lopez only has one more year after this so if it's a failure, so be it.  It doesn't hurt our financial situation too bad, because Wallace is stuck on the books next year as well... just puts us on the hook for an extra 5 mil next year (Lopez =15 mil, Wallace = 10 mil).    Not sure why the Nets do this, but apparently they were willing to trade Lopez for Kendrick  Perkins a few weeks ago.

If we want to make a playoff push, that's the kind of silly moves we should make. 

Re: I'd trade Bradley for Dragic. I'd gamble on Lopez
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 11:02:47 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Id do this. Danny would likely be asked to add a first and I'm not sure he would. Bradley and zeller might be a beginning to a discussion.

Based on the recent interview of the Suns GM, they would like to better balance out their team. Helps that phoenix GM was in Boston.

Id hate lopez next to sully and oly on D.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 11:08:30 PM by Kane3387 »

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 11:24:57 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I would definitely do this. They already have two PGs so it's possible they would prefer a defense-first SG who is on a much more reasonable contract than Dragic is going to get. I would throw in multiple 2nds, but probably not a first (certainly not our or BKNs).

It's also possible they could be interested in Thornton and a first. They get a light em up SG whose contract is up after the season and a first. It would also give them the opportunity to continue to compete this year.

Both Bradley and Thornton fit better than what they have with Dragic, but obviously aren't as good. I guess that's where draft compensation comes in.

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 11:47:31 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
I might do this if we knew that Dragic would at least consider staying. No point if we know it's just a one-year rental. Would probably have to throw in a at least a late first.

Don't think there would be any issue with him playing with Smart given that Dragic just does everything Bradley does better on offense (and a bunch of stuff Bradley can't do at all.) I'd expect them to cross-match on defense so we could "hide" Dragic on the opposing PG.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 11:48:26 PM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
I wouldn't do this cuz we would have a chance to sign dragic if we wanted to in free agency n

Also there is no gamble, Lopez will never be a healthy all star calibre player
, his had too many significant injuries in his career. He could be an overpaid 3rd big.

plus his not a great rebounder or rim protector that the c's need

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 11:49:45 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
I wouldn't do this cuz we would have a chance to sign dragic if we wanted to in free agency n

, his had too many significant injuries in his career. He could be an overpaid 3rd big.

TP.....good write up

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 11:49:57 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney

The idea here is that we stand a higher chance of retaining him if we get him over here first and get him to buy into the project as opposed to just being one of many suitors in the summer.

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2015, 11:54:29 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Yeah there's some benefit to trading for a guy like Dragic instead of just waiting until free agency.  If he's forced to be here for the remainder of the season, he has no choice but try to fit into the system, compete for a playoff spot, learn what Stevens is like... maybe he falls for the organization and buys into the team.   Whereas if you just approach him this summer, he'd be taking a much bigger leap of faith without fully knowing what to expect.

And again, if he walks... so be it.  It gets Bradley's money off the books.  That's a win.

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2015, 11:56:01 PM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
Hey but wouldn't they prefer to move Thomas

I mean then they would have 2 undersized guards
What if they were to go up against a tall SG

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2015, 11:58:27 PM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
Yeah there's some benefit to trading for a guy like Dragic instead of just waiting until free agency.  If he's forced to be here for the remainder of the season, he has no choice but try to fit into the system, compete for a playoff spot, learn what Stevens is like... maybe he falls for the organization and buys into the team.   Whereas if you just approach him this summer, he'd be taking a much bigger leap of faith without fully knowing what to expect.

And again, if he walks... so be it.  It gets Bradley's money off the books.  That's a win.

Still not sure about this
I think ainge's plans to deal Bradley when the salary cap rises and Bradley's deal would be considered a bargain compared to what it is now
We could get a late first rounder for him from a contender in need of a 3&D SG

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2015, 11:58:50 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney

Not exactly, given that we'll likely have burned a late first just to get rid of Bradley's contract.

I'm not a fan, but he's not the kind of guy you have to pay to get off the books.

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2015, 12:50:48 AM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
I would trade Bradley for Dragic for sure....But I would NOT gamble on Lopez UNLESS he got the Big Z surgery---to finally correct his foot issues....Took Ilgauskas years of breaking his foot--til he got the surgery, where they shaved some bone off of his heel--to relieve the stress on his bones in his foot.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2015, 06:26:24 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Free Agent or not one would be crazy to not trade Bradley for Dragic.

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2015, 06:43:11 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I think we can get more for Bradley than just Dragic's expiring contract .
I'd rather let our Young guys make their own playoff push.
i'm not sure why everyone is so keen on Dragic...He's just not that good and he's about to turn 29.
What's his specialty?  Seems like a rich man's Jeff Green of the point guard breed.

Lopez is cooked and I can't see us taking him without a decent asset coming back with him.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 07:48:09 AM by chambers »
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2015, 07:17:02 AM »

Offline Depalma2002

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17

Totally agree.

I'm not broken up if end up losing Bradley for nothing. He's a starter by default only. He's an average backup quality player making top 8 rotation money.

It increases our odds of getting a quality player on the roster as our chances of retaining Dragic are better, IMHO, than signing him as a free agent.

Even if you can't resign him, you still might manage to get something back by helping to facilitate as sign and trade and we should be able to find a suitable Bradley replacement using his money in the offseason.